A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

JamesH

Re: age

Post by JamesH »

FredB wrote:And I would add that there is something completely out of line with citizens of other countries - e.g. Canada, Australia - who tell us in the US how we should change the laws that we (not they) live under. Commenting on events is one thing, advocating law changes something else.
These are all comments, since as you say people outside the US have no voting rights there. I don't know why people get so worked up about comments.

Then again 'mericans have no difficulty with their country destabilising legitimate governments, bombing or invading other countries whose laws and politics they don't agree with.
Maybe if you guys could restrict yourselves to comments the world would be a more peaceful place?
Rover

Post by Rover »

Do something today to make this country a better place. Slap a Democrat. It may not help, but it'll sure make you feel better.
william

Post by william »

Rover wrote:Do something today to make this country a better place. Slap a Democrat. It may not help, but it'll sure make you feel better.
That's really grown up, isn't it? One always reinforces a political position by advocating assault and battery. Dollars to doughnuts you wouldn't make that recommendation if you thought for a second the Democrat was armed. Or should I have ended the previous sentence with "...if you thought"?
Rover

Post by Rover »

Hard to go wrong with a hearty bitch-slap where needed.

Snap out of it.
william

Post by william »

Snap out of it? Out of what, your lame attempt at humor? There are morons (and, unfortunately, plenty of non-morons) who believe that violence is a legitimate form of argument. Just like war - "diplomacy by other means." Look how well that idea has done for us.

Don't assume that every member here shares your Neanderthal values.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Here are some of my Neanderthal values:

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC

Besides:

" War is God's way to teach Americans geography." Ambrose Bierce
william

Post by william »

Rover, I'm saying good-bye to this thread now, but I'll leave you with a couple of thoughts:
1. A balanced federal budget has been demonstrated over and over again to be total crackpottery. No, the federal government can't and shouldn't operate like a family balancing their finances over the kitchen table.
2. Cicero was a reactionary voice of the big landowners and urban landlords. If he hadn't been such a brilliant wordsmith (not ideasmith) he would have been forgotten long ago and wouldn't be around torturing Latin students (as he did me decades ago). If history is written by the victors, then we read Cicero because his side prevailed after Julius Caesar's assassination.
dronning

Post by dronning »

I see this thread took a big turn.

Here is some input about personal responsibility.

Same exact type of accident happened with Go Karts yes Go Karts. There is a Kid class of Karts for 5-8 year old drivers the karts are powered appropriately. On a track day much higher powered karts are made available for the kids to try out which are usually "chipped down" for top speed. One of the Karts was acting up and was replaced quickly with one that wasn't chipped. Yep you guessed it 2 spectators were severely injured one lost a leg. Why is this the same, because an adult didn't follow the safety rules, or was ignorant of them.

The point is people are injured or die doing everyday things because there is risk getting up in the morning.

"They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
~ Ben Franklin

You can't regulate stupidity or a momentary lapse in judgment - things happen.
Certified Safety Instructor: Rifle & Pistol
They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
~ Ben Franklin
Rover

Post by Rover »

At last, a voice of reason!
JamesH

Post by JamesH »

Rover wrote:Here are some of my Neanderthal values:

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC
So you're a Democrat and Clinton fanboy then?

Gerard

Post by Gerard »

But James those are facts. You're not supposed to use those. People like Rover are talking about rhetoric and electioneering. Facts have no place there.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Well, as Mark Twain said, "There are lies, damn lies, and statistics."

I once read a book entitled, "How to Lie With Statistics." I'm sure you can find a copy.
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

So Reagan's 'war on drugs' wasn't a colossal waste of your money? Both Bush's wars in the Middle East weren't even more gigantic wastes of your money? It's all just statistics with no basis in reality? How nice your little bubble of a world seems. Is it a Christmas snow globe you live in Rover? Full of pretty scenery and snowflakes and lots and lots of guns in the parcels under the decorated tree? And not a Democrat in sight?
Rover

Post by Rover »

Gerard, your'e getting awfully tiresome. So, yeah, I'll go back into my warm fuzzy little world and mock Creationists instead of politicians. Sign me out of this thread.
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

If only your conception of the universe would have allowed you to reach through the vast network of tubes and bitch slap me much earlier in this thread, all this tiresomeness could have been avoided. Ho hum. Reality is so boring.