Anyone recently try Lasik?

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

sureshot007

Anyone recently try Lasik?

Post by sureshot007 »

I know that the procedure is much better now than it was just a few years ago. Does anyone have any experience with corrective surgery? If so, what were your results as it relates to shooting? I wear contacts now (-2.5 in both eyes, no other issues), and I've been thinking about it for the day to day convenience, but I'm concerned about it negatively affecting my shooting.
mtncwru

Re: Anyone recently try Lasik?

Post by mtncwru »

I got Lasik in January to correct my -6 myopia and -1 astigmatism in both eyes. I am extremely happy with the results, but it did take about 3 months for my vision to stabilize. The first month was especially tricky as my eyes re-settled and the inflammation died down. My eye doctor also would not let me shoot for the first two weeks because of concerns about getting anything in my eye, though he was fine with SCATT. You will need to be out of contacts for the two weeks before your procedure, so plan your matches accordingly.

Results wise, I love it. No more contact moving at an inopportune time in a match, no more not having them settle properly (a bigger problem for folks with astigmatism, but a concern for everyone regardless), and much, MUCH, less eye fatigue as that four day NRA 6400 drags on. My eyes are more sensitive to dryness, so a bottle of my rewetting drops of choice are now on the checklist in the gear bag (and overnight bag, and car, and work kit, and pretty much everywhere). I'm told that the dryness mostly goes away after about a year, and it has certainly gotten better over the past seven months. My irons scores have improved significantly as well, as I'm now hanging in the low 590s/610s for a 60 shot prone match. My shot calls have improved dramatically as well.

If you do decide to do it, do not skimp. I found a place here in San Diego that has offices nationwide, and carries a lifetime guarantee, meaning that if I ever need a touch-up correction it's free. For both eyes, including the necessary eye drops, testing, pre-exam, and the first year of post care, it came to just under $5000. The place I went had outstanding reviews on Healthgrades and Yelp, in addition to the recommendation of a co-worker who had Lasik about 18 months before me, and the referral of my eye doctor, who I trust.

Hope that helps; if you have other questions I'm happy to answer them!
mparker

Post by mparker »

My wife had LASIK done about 4 years ago. While your situation sounds similar to hers it may not be and the best advice and pricing is through research and talking to a couple of eye doctors. Prices and procedures are way different and much cheaper. I believe we paid $2000 per eye and that includes all the follow-up and touch up surgery she will need. I understand some of the simpler procedures are just a few hundred $$ these days. Good luck.

I checked into it several months ago and was turned down because of my cataracts. They were too advanced to allow LASIK surgery but not serious enough to require cataract surgery just yet. I went to another doctor who thought I should get them removed and since they were covered by my medical plan I did it this past April. My far vision went from around 20/80 in each eye to 20/15 and my near vision still requires a slight prescription which I only need (use) for unusual lighting conditions. My photography and my shooting has improved tremendously.
Muffo

Post by Muffo »

I am thinking of getting assessed. for this next year. Not sure if they can or not. I Think im around -2.5 with an astigmatism and my script has been stable for a few years
sparky

Post by sparky »

I got both eyes done in 2008, however, I got PRK instead of Lasik; it's like Lasik, except instead of cutting a flap, lasering the cornea, then putting the flap back, they just laser the outer surface of the cornea and you wear a contact lens until it heals.
I was about -4.00 in one eye, and -4.50 in the other. I now see slightly better than average (20/15) in both eyes. I have a slight halo effect around bright lights at night (doesn't bother me at all). I'm slightly more light sensitive (doesn't bother me, I just wear sunglasses in bright sunlight). The one thing that does bother me is that I have a slight bit of corneal scarring that has affected my visual acuity at the exact point where I look at a front sight...instead of seeing it nice and crisp and seeing the serrations as I did before, it's slightly fuzzy. Most folks have little/no corneal scarring (even less with Lasik); I'm just unlucky. Overall, I still think it was worth it.
Don't skimp on cost. Follow all the directions on follow up care (antibiotic eyedrops, etc) religiously.
Consider using a Flexible Healthcare Spending Account to help defray the cost.
Muffo

Post by Muffo »

Is there anything that can be done about the corneal scattering? My biggest fear getting it done would be I would end up with worse corrected vision. I would still use a shooting lense even if my uncorrected vision is good
sureshot007

Post by sureshot007 »

That is also my fear - going through the work and having things be worse.

I wish they had a money back guarantee. If it's not perfect when done, then I didn't just waste thousands of dollars. If it has the success rate they claim, I don't see why that would be such an issue.
mparker

Post by mparker »

Muffo and Sureshot007 -

Don't overthink the surgery or its potential. Go get evaluated and I'm confident if there is the slightest possibility that a procedure could be counterproductive your doctor would recommend against it. My doctor warrants his work forever and I'd bet most good ones do, even down under :).

Good luck guys and git er done!
sparky

Post by sparky »

Muffo wrote:Is there anything that can be done about the corneal scattering? My biggest fear getting it done would be I would end up with worse corrected vision. I would still use a shooting lense even if my uncorrected vision is good
There are things to do to minimize your chances of having it, such as religiously following your post-op care instructions. My doc said to take 1,000mg of vitamin c per day for a month or two. But even then, you can still get unlucky.

That said, Lasik has a much lower incidence of corneal scarring than PRK...I only did the PRK because I thought I might take up boxing and martial arts where taking a punch to the face might dislodge the corneal flap in Lasik.