Question about full bore sights

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

birdwatcher

Question about full bore sights

Post by birdwatcher »

Hello all, I am mostly a club shooter 10 m pistol 50m rifle and service rifle, I have just bought a tikka master sporter at a great price in mint condition. I would like to use it as a 300m free rifle and so I am looking at putting diopter sights on this gun. Trouble is it has 3/8 base as most sights come in 11mm aside from the FWB stuff. any help on how to get this rifle set up for diopter peeps would be great.

Neil
Tim S

Re: Question about full bore sights

Post by Tim S »

What sort of rearsight do you plan to use? Most fullbore rifles I've shot have the rearsight mounted onto a bracket at the side. Could you have the action drilled and tapped fro a Redfield mount? Or you may be able to get an adaptor for the receiver dovetail if you want to use a smallbore rearsight.

The muzzle will need to be drilled and tapped for a dovetail block, or turned down for a barrel band (I think .750in dia is common).
Gleedaniel13

Post by Gleedaniel13 »

Hello all, I am mostly a club shooter 10 m pistol 50m rifle and service rifle, I have just bought a tikka master sporter at a great price in mint condition. I would like to use it as a 300m free rifle and so I am looking at putting diopter sights on this gun. Trouble is it has 3/8 base as most sights come in 11mm aside from the FWB stuff. any help on how to get this rifle set up for diopter peeps would be great.

Can you post some pictures here on your new gun.
Martin Catley

Post by Martin Catley »

I am no expert but you could possibly get an adapter made to fit an Anschutz rear sight on it, a bit like a sight raiser block. Depending on the diameter of the Barrel at muzzle maybe a band type of fore sight?
I do not know the Rifle but you may find the stock is not exactly what you need for 300 Meters, to start with the cheek piece may be a bit too low, does it have a slotted forend for sling and handstop fittings or an adjustable Butt plate?

My apologies to Tim I have more or less repeated your ideas, shows how well I read the thread!
WRL

Post by WRL »

http://www.aihpa.com/Rifle%20Projects/T ... %206.5.htm

The above is a link to an article written by an Australian shooter who used a Tikka varmint rifle as the basis for a target rifle. For the rear sight he just put a weaver scope base onto the rifle and attached a top mount sight to the weaver base.

Do a search for Tikka Sporter on the National Match Competition web site. You will find some discussions of attaching target sights to a Tikka Sporter. I think the Sporter has the same grooves as your rifle. One person said he was able to attach a Lipski rear sight base (a Redfield sight base) to the grooves on the Sporter. If that works then you can attach a side mount sight to the Lipski base. Also someone mentioned that Mo DeFina (203 755-1013) makes a base for the Tikka grooves.

I am interested in doing this myself, but have not because I don't want to hassle with figuring out how to attach sights.
WRL

Post by WRL »

http://riflemansjournal.blogspot.com/20 ... -base.html

Here is a link discussing using Lipski base to attach rear sight to a rail. I think you could also attach it to a Weaver, or other scope base. I did read on the National Match Competition website that someone said he could attach the Lipski base directly to the Tikka Sporter grooves. As for a front sight base, I think you can get them in sizes larger than .750. I bought one in size .812 and used an electric drill with a sand paper covered dowel to make it a little larger to put on a Remington 700 barrel.