Taking a long break and the effects

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Muffo

Taking a long break and the effects

Post by Muffo »

So recently I have taken a break from pistol shooting. I injured my wrist and didnt shoot a pistol for some 14 months. before that I hadnt really been doing much for a further 18 months. Prior to that I had been shooting for 3 years.

In that 3 years I had only shot air pistol and free pistol. I was usually shooting 560s in air when I stopped and 570s in training, it had been a steady climb from being able to shoot about 520 within the first few months of shooting.

In the mean time I have been shooting service rifle at a high level.

Fast forward to the last few days. I decided to just do some shooting for a bit, no particular training just to go and shoot a bit and have some fun before I get into training.

I discovered that my hold is not very good, (surprise surprise) but when I can concentrate can still shoot good shots. Yesterday I found that my consentration will only last 2 to 3 shots and after that I start shooting really badly, 8s and 7s all over the target. If I try and recall the shot process in my mind I cant very well so clearly I wasnt really concentrating at all.

Today I went out and fired 2 shots at a time and then had a break. It took me nearly 3 hours for 30 shots. The result was quiet interesting for me, I dont think I have lost any of the ability to shoot but I have lost the ability to concentrate.

Does anyone have experience with taking a break from shooting and care to discuss what they think you actually loose while not training and possibly what you might gain

This was my backing target
David M

Re: Taking a long break and the effects

Post by David M »

A lot will depend on the reason for the break.
If you just took a break for no other reason than to do something different for a while, then it may not take much training to achieve your old standard.
You already know the basics and the muscle memory is still there, it just needs re activating.
If the break was forced by injury the recovery may be much more difficult, you may never recover to the previous level depending on circumstances, but you can still enjoy your shooting.
Rover

Re: Taking a long break and the effects

Post by Rover »

I've found that sometimes a long break will enable one to break little bad habits slowly acquired. Going back to basics is never wrong!