New Format

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

David Levene

New Format

Post by David Levene »

That's a shock, and I've been expecting it ;-)
RandomShotz

Re: New Format

Post by RandomShotz »

Where am I? What happened? I just ... I mean ... but ... who ...
RandomShotz

Post by RandomShotz »

David -

I noticed that some topics have a little red star in the circular icon to the left of the topic header. What does that mean?

Roger
renzo

Post by renzo »

RandomShotz wrote:David -

I noticed that some topics have a little red star in the circular icon to the left of the topic header. What does that mean?

Roger
Roger

It means you (meaning the poster that's logged) have posted sometime in that thread.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

renzo wrote:
RandomShotz wrote:David -

Roger
Roger

It means you (meaning the poster that's logged) have posted sometime in that thread.
Thanks for that explanation renzo. I only said I was expecting it. I haven't got the faintest idea what's going on, yet ;-)
john bickar

Post by john bickar »

Whoa, it's like instant time travel from 2004 to 2014!
pilkguns
Site Admin

Post by pilkguns »

wellll YAyyyyyy, I've been expecting it too, and it was a shock to me.
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

So, um, is there a way to get the dark theme back? Can't seem to find it in my control panel or elsewhere. I really prefer dark backgrounds for discussion boards, as I read most stuff in the evenings, and even in the daytime I find a darker screen with light coloured text is much easier on the eyes.
corning

Post by corning »

nice...
john bickar

Post by john bickar »

Gerard wrote:So, um, is there a way to get the dark theme back? Can't seem to find it in my control panel or elsewhere. I really prefer dark backgrounds for discussion boards, as I read most stuff in the evenings, and even in the daytime I find a darker screen with light coloured text is much easier on the eyes.
There are multiple ways to do this on the client end. You can do it at the OS level (look in your "Accessibility" settings, e.g., on Mac OS X), or at the browser level (the Web Developer Toolbar for Firefox allows you to specify a custom style sheet, and I think Chrome allows this as well).
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

Sure, I suppose, but I visit here mostly on my phone, an Android, and there's no such option in the Dolphin browser (which is by FAR easier to use and more complete in plugins and user configuation than ANY other Android browser). So I guess I'm stuck with bright blue and white. Oh well.
conradin

Post by conradin »

john bickar wrote:
Gerard wrote:So, um, is there a way to get the dark theme back? Can't seem to find it in my control panel or elsewhere. I really prefer dark backgrounds for discussion boards, as I read most stuff in the evenings, and even in the daytime I find a darker screen with light coloured text is much easier on the eyes.
There are multiple ways to do this on the client end. You can do it at the OS level (look in your "Accessibility" settings, e.g., on Mac OS X), or at the browser level (the Web Developer Toolbar for Firefox allows you to specify a custom style sheet, and I think Chrome allows this as well).
I can never do CMS right because I only know how to do under the hood (shell). Apparently I set my server with such a strict security that all web installation system fails.
SamEEE

Post by SamEEE »

Gerard wrote:Sure, I suppose, but I visit here mostly on my phone, an Android, and there's no such option in the Dolphin browser (which is by FAR easier to use and more complete in plugins and user configuation than ANY other Android browser). So I guess I'm stuck with bright blue and white. Oh well.
That's all configurable in the backend of the phpBB3 suite. Good thing about phpBB3 is that it scales everything for modern devices such as phones or tablets - huge plus!

Looks good to me except I would like to see the name box back on the Left and to occupy a bit less space - something like this.

Edit: Like this http://www.phpbb3styles.net/db/style/SE+Square+Left
Image Image
john bickar

Post by john bickar »

Gerard wrote:Sure, I suppose, but I visit here mostly on my phone, an Android, and there's no such option in the Dolphin browser (which is by FAR easier to use and more complete in plugins and user configuation than ANY other Android browser). So I guess I'm stuck with bright blue and white. Oh well.
Here you go, Eeyore. Don't say I never Googled nothin' for ya:

http://lifehacker.com/5957534/invert-yo ... ht-reading
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

john bickar wrote: Here you go, Eeyore. Don't say I never Googled nothin' for ya:

http://lifehacker.com/5957534/invert-yo ... ht-reading
Awesome. Except... that's with the native browser, which I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole. Awful thing. Dolphin works great, but if I recall the settings there's no such inversion toggle in Dolphin Browser (my phone's in the shop until tomorrow as my power switch broke, after 3 years of use, but I'll check when I get it back). Thanks anyway. And using Accessibility options to invert everything would be awful, as most of my apps are dark themed as it is, most decent developers offering that option and it's also provided in the custom Android GAPPS package I'm running for native apps. Some exceptions, but dark backgrounds are generally my preference. It's nice when it's available in a PHPBB, such as airgunsbbs.com and the like, and like it was yesterday here. Any moderator or admin care to just check that option box in the control panel? Or is it a case of Ford-ism - any customer can have their forum any colour they want, so long as it's white and blue...
bdutton

Post by bdutton »

Not a fan of the new format. I find the icons, fonts and colors harder to read.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

Anybody else having trouble with 'Log me on automatically each visit'?
FredB

Post by FredB »

Shouldn't the red color indicating that you have not opened a forum or a thread be set so that it resets each time you visit the site? On my screen at least, every thread that I have not opened keeps the red indicator, and most (but not all) of the forums do so as well. Not nearly as helpful as the old system in going quickly to new postings. Or maybe I don't understand exactly what the red indicator indicates?
rmca

Post by rmca »

SamEEE wrote: Looks good to me except I would like to see the name box back on the Left and to occupy a bit less space - something like this.

+1
User ID on the right makes it more difficult to follow who is writing what especially on wide screens (16:9).
ID on the left is much more intuitive.

I really like the "first unread post" link on the top right! It saves a lot of time!

And by the way, a BIG THANK YOU for keeping the forum going!
rmca
Jason

Post by Jason »

bdutton wrote:Not a fan of the new format. I find the icons, fonts and colors harder to read.
I agree -- I'm colour blind and find it tricky to see at a glance what's new. I've never come across another board using this format.

Jason