New Format

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

john bickar

Re: New Format

Post by john bickar »

rmca wrote: a BIG THANK YOU for keeping the forum going!
+1

Huzzah!
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

My strategy for using the new board, and it will probably change as I learn it more, is to enter at the "view unread posts" point.

I can then select the topic I am interested in reading and use the "first unread post" link. This is a minor irritation as the last board took me to the first unread post in a thread automatically.

I can then repeat the process until I have read all that I am interested in.

I can then go to the Board index and hit the "Mark forums read" link to reset everything.

Everybody's learning at the moment ;-)
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

My login status seems not to be stable. Failed again just now.

Subscribed threads aren't sending me email notifications any more.

On my phone (back now, all fixed) I can't see any link to quote a post. (Edit - well it's shown up now, after posting this message. A glitch now and then it seems.)

On the phone or on the PC I find it challenging to the point of being off-putting to have to read the titles and posting times of every thread just to see if its got new posts in it. The read/not read icons aren't working for me. Bold type worked. Easy to spot.

While PHPBB may offer dynamic scaling per device, it is hardly perfect. For my phone (Samsung Infuse running Android 4.4.4) I'm having to side-scroll a lot now. Only had to do that here before when someone posted a very large photo.

Does modern mean difficult? As a member of many, many forums over the past 14 years, and forum moderator for half that time, I'd have to say the net impression here is rather of reductions in facility and clarity, though the spareness of the look is certainly preferable to a cluttered interface.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Gerard wrote:On the phone or on the PC I find it challenging to the point of being off-putting to have to read the titles and posting times of every thread just to see if its got new posts in it. The read/not read icons aren't working for me. Bold type worked. Easy to spot.
Why don't you enter at the "view unread posts" point, as I suggested earlier
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

Sure, suppose I'll have to. Tried it just now and it means scanning through bullseye, small bore, buy and sell... stuff i never read. But I can live with glancing past those I guess.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Gerard wrote:Sure, suppose I'll have to. Tried it just now and it means scanning through bullseye, small bore, buy and sell... stuff i never read. But I can live with glancing past those I guess.
Once you've gone to the Board index and hit the "Mark forums read" link to reset everything the list coming up on "view unread posts" is normally quite short (for regular users anyway).
FredB

Post by FredB »

I know that this comes too late, but I wasn't aware a change was in the works. I suggest looking at the Bullseye forum - http://www.bullseyeforum.net/ . IMHO that board has just about everything the user would want; of course I don't know whether it's as good from the administrator's POV. One thing I really like about it is that when you click on the little "view latest post" box, it takes you to the first post that you have not previously read, and not just the very latest post. That can save a lot of scrolling around.

In any case it too often goes without saying that I greatly appreciate this forum no matter what the form it takes.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

FredB wrote:One thing I really like about it is that when you click on the little "view latest post" box, it takes you to the first post that you have not previously read, and not just the very latest post. That can save a lot of scrolling around.
I agree that's a (minor) irritation.

Once you're in the thread, try the "first unread post" link. It's only 1 extra click but takes you to where you want to be.
j-team

Post by j-team »

No link to Pilkington Guns on the new format?

Well I can see one anyway!
BobGee

Post by BobGee »

Agree with SamEEE that the user ID on the left, as before, would be good (his edit link take you to a demo on phpBB showing this option).

Also agree huge thanks to Scott for keeping this forum going.

Bob
Bob-Riegl

Post by Bob-Riegl »

Well I think this change has been due for a long time---I just like my black format---oh welll!!! "Doc"
Shin
Site Admin

Post by Shin »

ViewFirstUnreadPost.png
ViewFirstUnreadPost.png (14.51 KiB) Viewed 1323 times
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Jason wrote:I agree -- I'm colour blind and find it tricky to see at a glance what's new. I've never come across another board using this format.

Jason
Until it's sorted why don't you try the "view unread posts" option
jbshooter

Post by jbshooter »

The new Search function is great.
IPshooter

Still getting used to it, but would prefer a darker color

Post by IPshooter »

for the message titles. Needs a little more contrast.
bdutton

Post by bdutton »

Much better format!
conradin

Post by conradin »

Looking good, although it does taken me awhile to figure out where is where, such as the user control.