A better way to sort bbs

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Andre

A better way to sort bbs

Post by Andre »

Many people sort bbs by size for bb gun competitions, and most guns like .174 size ground shot (or so I've heard) but sorting them is a pain.
I made this special anvil for a micrometer, to aid in measuring bbs. It only gives you a comparative measurement over actual size, but I've been messing around with it and seems to work nicely. Tomorrow I will heat/oil blue it and sort some bbs and see how much of a difference it makes in my bb guns, though I don't have a 499 to test sadly.

http://i.imgur.com/ELrkgrz.jpg?1

Notice the dish in the homemade anvil, it holds the bb in place to keep it from rolling away and measures in two places at once on the bb.

http://i.imgur.com/10YWbSn.jpg?1

Maybe this will give somebody some ideas on how to make their own. I have another device to measure bbs using a comparator stand. Will be a lot faster than using a micrometer.
Rover

Post by Rover »

How about a sieve as a "go-no go" gauge.
Andre

Post by Andre »

Rover wrote:How about a sieve as a "go-no go" gauge.
A friend came up with hat idea, but then if one was too small is would go through the go side and you'd never know, and it would be a flyer.
BigAl

Re:

Post by BigAl »

Andre wrote:
Rover wrote:How about a sieve as a "go-no go" gauge.
A friend came up with hat idea, but then if one was too small is would go through the go side and you'd never know, and it would be a flyer.
Two sieves, one to weed out the oversize so it goes through that one. The second to weed out the undersized, so you are left with the wanted size in that sieve at the end of the process.

Alan
matinaron

Re: A better way to sort bbs

Post by matinaron »

Interesting idea i think i will try this lets see if it works for me
You live by the gun and knuckle knives, and die by the gun and knuckle knives.
conradin

Post by conradin »

Sieves seem to be a good idea because you can do that in mass amounts at the same time.
Andre

Post by Andre »

matinaron wrote:Interesting idea i think i will try this lets see if it works for me
If it works, please report back. I haven't used mine too much but will start using it soon.
Rover

Post by Rover »

I haven't thought on this subject in a long time.

Did you know that there are lead round balls available from some leading pellet makers? They are as accurate as the match pellets they sell.

You might consider switching from steel BBs. The cost would be irrelevant compared to the expense and effort you're contemplating.
Andre

Post by Andre »

Rover wrote:I haven't thought on this subject in a long time.

Did you know that there are lead round balls available from some leading pellet makers? They are as accurate as the match pellets they sell.

You might consider switching from steel BBs. The cost would be irrelevant compared to the expense and effort you're contemplating.
I'm quite aware of round balls, a lot of big bore airgunners shoot them.

I don't shoot bb gun, never have. But I can't imagine anybody who shoots bb gun wills soot them. Nobody does for a reason. Steel bbs have less friction in the bore, and have less air resistance than bbs. They also fly slower, meaning more time in the bore which is a bad thing and tends to rip targets more.

I don't know though, I have no experience with bb gun so any advise above is just an educated guess.