NRA Nationals

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

blg

NRA Nationals

Post by blg »

Anyone know who won the 3p championship at Bristol?
dronning

Post by dronning »

Certified Safety Instructor: Rifle & Pistol
They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
~ Ben Franklin
blg

Post by blg »

I've been checking the sight, but the results aren't posted yet.
dronning

Post by dronning »

blg wrote:I've been checking the sight, but the results aren't posted yet.
They had the Perry scores as they happened and the official winner sheets in 24 hours. I would expect them today.
They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
~ Ben Franklin
redschietti

Post by redschietti »

Word I hear is there were unbelievable number of ties because of great conditions. Targets were needing found for tie breaking criteria. At least one national record was unofficially broken.
dronning

Post by dronning »

Any feedback from the shooters on how well the Bristol club handled the event - Pro/Con? Sounds as if conditions were good.
~ Ben Franklin
Abi

Post by Abi »

I like how the Metric 3P links are Pistol scores ;)
Abi

Post by Abi »

Links to both metric and conventional 3p results here...

http://pronematch.com/smallbore-nationa ... p-results/
ABoyd57946

Post by ABoyd57946 »

Hello,
I shot in the Conv Prone matches in the any sight category. All below are my personal opinion for what it's worth. I thought the range was very nice and this was a very well run affair. Asphalt well covered firing line that was in the shade. Range was easy to find. I am a Marksman class shooter that broke into the high 1180s and shot an 1190 the first day. I found the mirage challenging with fish tailing winds that could be handled but if you didn't they bit you with 9s or worse. Shade hard and often. It's a different challenge than Perry. Perry you see the wind coming off the lake or from the NW and the wind is stronger than Bristol. Bristol it's subtle changes in a mirage that beat you and a wind that changes direction a lot on a wooded dark background, instead of a sky.

Re tradition they had a cannon and we stood for colors.

Hotel where I stayed was very nice with a good free breakfast. Many restaurants near the hotels. All are right off the interstate.

In conclusion while I miss commercial row and the Perry tradition, I thought this again was a great time, great fun, and I'll definitely be back. It was a very fine Nationals.

Kind regards,
Tony
bdutton

Re: NRA Nationals

Post by bdutton »

I'm at the nationals this year and found that the venue doesn't feel like a national championship. It feels like a large Regional.

The targets scoring was a bit slow. Not sure why, the Prone and first standing targets came back but then there was a delay with the rest.

The volunteers are doing a good job.

Virtually no vendors. Lapua and Eley are onsite selling a small selection of swag, cleaning supplies and ammo.

A catering company is handling the food. It looked good. I might try it tomorrow.

The covered shooting position is on a slab of concrete and its nice except there is a steep front-to-back slope. Steep enough that my daughter had to make a lot of adjustments to her rifle to get the front sight low enough.

Very little wind. I liked the open range at Perry better for the more challenging wind shooting.

Relays are not alternating. You shoot straight through and then relays swap. This probably helps to get all of the shooting over with quicker without all of the moving equipment on and off the line three times.

The entry packet included a questionnaire for the return to Perry. I had a talk with a match official and the questionnaire is one of many things under consideration. Apparently, the cost of housing volunteers at Perry is 5x more than Bristol. So that is a pretty significant item.
Abi

Post by Abi »

bdutton wrote: The covered shooting position is on a slab of concrete and its nice except there is a steep front-to-back slope. Steep enough that my daughter had to make a lot of adjustments to her rifle to get the front sight low enough.
The entry packet included a questionnaire for the return to Perry. I had a talk with a match official and the questionnaire is one of many things under consideration. Apparently, the cost of housing volunteers at Perry is 5x more than Bristol. So that is a pretty significant item.
This is the second time I'm hearing of the sloped firing line this year, had not heard of this previously.

How is housing volunteers cheaper than a hut with 4 beds for ~$40?
jmdavis

Post by jmdavis »

Abi wrote:
This is the second time I'm hearing of the sloped firing line this year, had not heard of this previously.

It's a minor point but the new huts are $50. I think that many volunteers are in transient housing, the RV park, and barracks, so I am also unsure how the cost is 5x more expensive.
bdutton

Post by bdutton »

jmdavis wrote:
Abi wrote:

It's a minor point but the new huts are $50. I think that many volunteers are in transient housing, the RV park, and barracks, so I am also unsure how the cost is 5x more expensive.
The reason is not the huts used for volunteers, the NRA uses the onsite motel/hotel at Perry for volunteers and pays a rate set by the OHNG. Also, since the OHNG requires x number of volunteers per shooter (1 line officer per 10 shooters, 1 block officer per 20 shooters, 1 range officer per 2 block officers... etc...) the number of volunteers required at Camp Perry are at least 2-3 times what the NRA would otherwise require for a match. This is how I understood it.

Huts are typically used by competitors, not volunteers.

Also, the slope of the firing line at Bristol is pronounced with the highest point towards the targets.

I noticed today that the wind is very tricky. Messed with my juniors pretty bad.
blg

Post by blg »

How did this year turn out? What's the word, is going to stay in Bristol or go back to Perry?
Ltdave

Post by Ltdave »

i saw several pictures from a junior's parent that showed lots and LOTS of rain down there. not sure how that jives with "great conditions" but i wasnt there...

i would imagine it being like a large regional match. again the pictures of the range looked no different than my home range for the most part. other than maybe overall size and general construction of the overhead...

my daughter was in europe during all of the camps and matches this summer so i really didnt have a dog in the fight but id like to see the nationals back at Perry (closer drive for me)...
dronning

Post by dronning »

Ltdave wrote:i saw several pictures from a junior's parent that showed lots and LOTS of rain down there. not sure how that jives with "great conditions" but i wasnt there.....
This thread was started last year 2014, they had great conditions last year.

- Dave
~ Ben Franklin
blg

Post by blg »

Yes it was but I was asking about this year.
dronning

Post by dronning »

blg wrote:Yes it was but I was asking about this year.
I was referring to the quote from Ltdave about "not sure how that jives with "great conditions"" the only comment on great conditions was posted last year 2014.

- Dave
~ Ben Franklin
bdutton

Post by bdutton »

Conditions were very good for all but two days and one overnight storm. When it rains, it POURS! Many pop up tents got destroyed during the matches.

Wind conditions were tricky. Wind directions on the range change almost randomly at times.

Its not a range that is up to National Championship standards imo. Great for running large regionals though.

I talked to many of the competitors and virtually all were in favor of returning to camp perry.
bdutton

Post by bdutton »

I penned a letter and sent hard copies to NRA Competitions Headquarters. Soft copies were send to a select few NRA Board members to hand deliver to the competitions committee meeting in October.

I had input from many people including College Coaches, fellow club directors, national champion level competitors, coaches and NRA Board Members.

Here is a link to the letter... feel free to share.

http://williamdutton.com/open-letter-to-the-nra.html