Scatt for... *gulp* 1911???

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

md123180

Scatt for... *gulp* 1911???

Post by md123180 »

Ok, so I decided to post here because I don't see much activity in the Bullseye forum when I search for Scatt...

I'm about to purchase a Scatt MX-02 for my team so that I can do dry/live fire practice with them. Predominantly, we are a bullseye team. I would like to be able to mount this system to our 1911 .45s. The .22s don't cycle in the forward part of the slide, so I know how I can mount those (we use Pardini SP, Hammerli 208s, and Marvels... Easy deal for them.) The catch is when I want to do anything with a 1911, the slide moving becomes an issue. Does anyone have an idea of a good way to mount this?

Keep in mind that the idea of tapping a hole in the dust cover is not completely out, but most don't want to ruin their 'pretty' 1911. Additionally, I have full CNC support at my disposal, and cost is not an issue. That being said, anyone have an idea?
mtncwru

Post by mtncwru »

If anyone has a accessory rail on the bottom, it shouldn't be hard to machine a gizmo to fit the SCATT (or even use a scope ring with a rod clamped in it, clamp the SCATT to the rod, assuming it's a Weaver-ish rail.)

If not, maybe devise an extended recoil spring guide rod that protrudes out the front? Not sure how well that would work, though, since I can't remember how stationary that is in a 1911.

Offhand, tapping a hole in the dust cover sounds like the best option to me. If someone doesn't want to "ruin" their "pretty" 1911 by adding an excellent training tool, then they can just buy an ugly 1911 for a spare gun and ruin that one. As Bill Boyle once said to me, when I cringed at the idea of "ugly" grip putty all over my 1813 stock, "Do you want a gun that looks pretty, or a gun that you shoot pretty?"

Good luck, and keep us posted!
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Are you sure that the Scatt sensor will be OK with the recoil of. 45 live fire?
SamEEE

Post by SamEEE »

Dryfire for both will be fine - attach the sensor with a couple of cableties and/or tape.

Live fire with a Scatt? Is that a thing? I don't think it would last very long under 45 Automatic Recoil.
dronning

Post by dronning »

SamEEE wrote:Dryfire for both will be fine - attach the sensor with a couple of cableties and/or tape.

Live fire with a Scatt? Is that a thing? I don't think it would last very long under 45 Automatic Recoil.
MX-02 is the live fire version that uses an optic, ok for HP rifle so 45 is no issue, other than figuring out where to mount the sensor. A dot can handle a 45's recoil and the MX-02 sensor is basically a dot/optic.

SCATT MX-02 video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIzSQXtioCw

Dave
Certified Safety Instructor: Rifle & Pistol
They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
~ Ben Franklin
md123180

Post by md123180 »

mtncwru wrote:If not, maybe devise an extended recoil spring guide rod that protrudes out the front? Not sure how well that would work, though, since I can't remember how stationary that is in a 1911.
It's not stationary enough to keep the sensor in exact alignment for each shot.

Yeah, there are no accessory rails on any of these guns. I wish there were, because that would make this a lot easier. Does anyone know if these are sensitive to rotational alignment? Basically, if there is a slight cant to the sensor, will it still read correctly? (I'd imagine so) I'm thinking there may be a way to mount it to the trigger guard.

Thoughts?[/quote]
dronning

Post by dronning »

If you are running a dot on your 45 couldn't you mount the sensor on the dot using the universal mount (strap)?

Dave
Certified Safety Instructor: Rifle & Pistol
They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
~ Ben Franklin
md123180

Post by md123180 »

dronning wrote:If you are running a dot on your 45 couldn't you mount the sensor on the dot using the universal mount (strap)?
That's a pretty damn good idea. I'm curious how much it would add to slide mass, but I can't imagine it would be enough to throw off timing. That may work. Thanks!

The other issue is that we still shoot CMP, which is irons on an M9 or 1911... That's the most important gun in the box to us, too... I'm honestly thinking the *best* way to do this is to thread a hole in the dust cover.[/quote]
Erud

Post by Erud »

If I'm not mistaken, the mx-02 still has a USB cable that runs from the optical sensor to the computer. That might complicate any method of mounting that attaches it to the slide or any other moving parts.

I've gotta think that at some point they will come out with a version that communicates via Bluetooth.
rmarsh

Post by rmarsh »

For the original question; I have seen laser mounts that clamp to the trigger guard. Should be fairly easy to machine an adapter to do that.

As for live fire with a 45.... we have a MX-2 and Have used it for several months for dry & live fire for air rifle and small bore. Air rifle, live or dry fire and sb dry fire works perfectly. However, when used for live fire sb it will not stay centered. The zero will often move a half to as much as a full ring over a 10 shot string. We have encountered this many times when shooting prone. The actual megalink group will be all solid 10s, while the scatt starts in the 10 but strings out to the 9 ring. I have tried several mounting places and made sure everything is tight. Nothing helps. It is still useful for sb live fire since I still get to see the trace, hold... etc.

Maybe mine is just defective, but from my experience I am skeptical it would take the recoil of a 45.
md123180

Post by md123180 »

rmarsh wrote:For the original question; I have seen laser mounts that clamp to the trigger guard. Should be fairly easy to machine an adapter to do that.

As for live fire with a 45.... we have a MX-2 and Have used it for several months for dry & live fire for air rifle and small bore. Air rifle, live or dry fire and sb dry fire works perfectly. However, when used for live fire sb it will not stay centered. The zero will often move a half to as much as a full ring over a 10 shot string. We have encountered this many times when shooting prone. The actual megalink group will be all solid 10s, while the scatt starts in the 10 but strings out to the 9 ring. I have tried several mounting places and made sure everything is tight. Nothing helps. It is still useful for sb live fire since I still get to see the trace, hold... etc.

Maybe mine is just defective, but from my experience I am skeptical it would take the recoil of a 45.
That's one of the things I was afraid of. That's yet another reason that I'm debating a threaded adapter into the dust cover. It wouldn't be able to move around. Have you tried putting a thin piece of tacky rubber (like that drawer liner material) between the mount and the barrel? I've heard of that helping.
rmarsh

Post by rmarsh »

md123180 wrote:
rmarsh wrote:For the original question; I have seen laser mounts that clamp to the trigger guard. Should be fairly easy to machine an adapter to do that.

That's one of the things I was afraid of. That's yet another reason that I'm debating a threaded adapter into the dust cover. It wouldn't be able to move around. Have you tried putting a thin piece of tacky rubber (like that drawer liner material) between the mount and the barrel? I've heard of that helping.
I have not tried a thin piece of rubber or tape yet, but I will. I am also working on a mount adapter to mount the scatt to the stock.
rmarsh

Re: Scatt for... *gulp* 1911???

Post by rmarsh »

Just for the record, I thought I would give an update on the MX2 moving around with recoil. I got a replacement unit a few days ago. It works perfectly for live fire. It stays centered and groups are representative of the actual live fire groups. My original unit was defective. Maybe the MX2 will hold up to 45ACP recoil...
Rick Marsh

Vice-Chairman
USA Shooting Board of Directors