entering to compete at Fort Benning in WC event

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

artandscience

entering to compete at Fort Benning in WC event

Post by artandscience »

What are the requirements to enter to compete in 50m prone at Ft. Benning?

It's not clear to me whether one has to be sponsored by one's national association or anyone can participate? It seems like one has to be sponsored by an ISSF Member Federation (in my case, Canada).

Is that correct?

I'm a decent smallbore shooter at 50/60 feet and want to make the step up to competing in a major event at 50m.

thanks,
Stefan
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

If you're asking about any World Cup, it is only National Federations that can make entries.

As they are limited to 3 entries in each full event and a further 2 MQS-only entries you would normally need to be in the top few of your country's rankings to get selected.
redschietti

Post by redschietti »

usually a sprinkling of Canadians at usa national type matches. The national champ at benning was a couple weeks ago.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

redschietti wrote:usually a sprinkling of Canadians at usa national type matches. The national champ at benning was a couple weeks ago.
I thought the OP was asking about the World Cup (hence WC in the thread title).

Other matches there are obviously at a lower level and will have lower entry requirements.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Stefan ...
Looking at the location you put down, you would be competing for a USA slot.
There are selection matches to determine the shooters for the WCs that are hosted and run by USA Shooting.
Here is a link to their page that describes the team(s).
https://www.usashooting.org/12-the-team ... nformation
Scroll down and you will see in the "Rifle News and Information" section a link to the selection procedures here in the US.
While this 2013 document is outdated (anyone from USAS watching this thread ... hint, hint) it is always very similar year to year.

That said ... a brief explanation:
1) You must be a member of USA Shooting (the USA "federation" if you will)
2) You must shoot in the selection match(es) and finish high enough to gain a slot. USA Shooting tries to have two selection matches where scores/finals points are combined to determine the selections to the WC.

The best advise is to look on the USAS website and find the PTOs in your area (Preliminary Try Outs -- really just practice matches) and the National selection matches.
On the USAS website Events|Find a Match or Events|Match information

The selection events for air rifle usually start in December with the "Winter Airgun" (WAG) match and smallbore rifle around the end of JAN/FEB timeframe with the Rocky Mountain match or a specific selection event after that. The dates/selection matches change from year to year so keep up with the events calendar.

If you are a junior shooter, there are great jr clubs in your area with very good coaches that know how to (and have) guide a shooter into this process.
artandscience

Post by artandscience »

Sadly, I'm a Canadian living in the States. So I have to travel to compete in Canadian events to qualify (though they may permit a good performance in an American event as a qualification).

thanks much for all the responses..

Stefan
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Sorry, was not paying attention to that part of your post.
Check your PM for a contact to your National Coach, Marcus Raab
conradin

Post by conradin »

I wonder what is the requirement for one federation to select their representatives If the shooters cannot compete within the country? For example, if the OP competes in the US nationals, will his country count his scores as acceptable?
I am a multiple citizenship person; one of my countries' shotgunners (almost all the shotgunners) seldom if ever reside in that country. I wonder how their scores be counted? Can they compete in ECH, Oceania, the UK, or the US National and be counted?
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

conradin wrote:I wonder what is the requirement for one federation to select their representatives
That is obviously the decision of each individual Federation. Nobody tells them how to make their selection, apart possibly from their national sports organisations or the courts.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

conradin wrote:...I am a multiple citizenship person...
dual/multi citizenship or not, an ISSF 'registered' shooter (Shooter ID) can only have one nationality.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Spencer wrote:
dual/multi citizenship or not, an ISSF 'registered' shooter (Shooter ID) can only have one nationality.
...At a time. It is of course quite possible to switch.

Rob.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

RobStubbs wrote:
Spencer wrote:
...At a time. It is of course quite possible to switch.

Rob.
I resisted the temptation to add the 'complications'...
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Spencer wrote: I resisted the temptation to add the 'complications'...
I couldn't help myself ;)

Rob.