How much ammo for Ft Benning/USA Shooting Nationals

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

bdutton

How much ammo for Ft Benning/USA Shooting Nationals

Post by bdutton »

Planning for my daughter and she's shooting both prone and 3P.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

It's a tough call. Sort of depends on:

1) How many sighters she usually shoots in each position?
2) Will she make the JR final in 3x20? (2 of them, one each day)
3) Will she make the Open final?

As a bare minimum, each event has 2 shooting days ... add another day's worth of ammo in each event ... again minimum. Then add the training days

Prone Match - 60 shots each day (120), sighters-30 shots each day (another 60) ---- 180 total, so figure an even 250 plus training day (another box ... so say 300 (6 boxes) ... whew, no final.

3x20 - figure the same, maybe another box (or 2) if she shoots a lot of sighters - OK 8 boxes. Another box for training day?
BUT --- 3x20 has finals, if she's shooting high 570's (576+) then you need to plan for ammo for a final (or 4) ... minimum 2-1/2 boxes per final

So .... If not in the finals figure a brick & a half (minimum)
If you think she can make finals - 2+ bricks

(Tell Elizabeth --- GOOD SHOOTING!!!)
batty

Post by batty »

i've always taken the approach of:

Prone - 100 rounds per match plus a spare 100 (incase a box gets dropped or damaged

3p - 1 box (50) per position (the 20 to count, it then gives you 30 sighters each position) - a spare box incase.

Finals - i've not thought about the ammo needed for the new finals format - i used to throw in 1 box per potential final (standard 10shot) - but in the new finals i'd go on the basis of 1 box per position again.

So if this was me (presuming 2x matches prone, 2x matchs 2p plus final each 3p match) I would look to take 1000 rounds!

After a while she will get used to how much ammo is required