Long range rifle shooting

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

ketzeen
Spammer

Long range rifle shooting

Post by ketzeen »

Long range rifle shooting range estimation? I'm new to scopes and will be getting a .22 LR CZ 452 American and a Tasco 3-9x40 scope 30/30 recticle. At what range should I zero this scope at the will work for close range shooting and how can I estimate distance without mil-dot or range-finder. Is there a binocular with mil-dot you can recommend? And advise for a newbie?
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

posted in Olympic Pistol - oh well????
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Spencer wrote:posted in Olympic Pistol - oh well????
The OP was a direct copy and paste of a post that was doing the rounds on the net about 3 years ago.

Obviously a spammer getting ready to add a spam link somewhere down the line.
USMC0802

Post by USMC0802 »

if he can't estimate the range a 22 will shoot, he wont have a clue how to use a mil dot reticle or have a clue how much the round will drop over distance.
FrankD

Post by FrankD »

Hihi, long rifle doesn't always also mean long range.

Regards

Frank
corning

Post by corning »

USMC0802 wrote:if he can't estimate the range a 22 will shoot, he wont have a clue how to use a mil dot reticle or have a clue how much the round will drop over distance.
What I find amusing about the above comment is that I have over 40 years of competitive shooting experience in both smallbore and high power rifle and I don't have a clue what a mil dot reticle is, nor how to use it...
Trooperjake

Post by Trooperjake »

Get a scope with target knobs, zero at 50 yards and go from there.
Andre

Post by Andre »

corning wrote:
USMC0802 wrote:if he can't estimate the range a 22 will shoot, he wont have a clue how to use a mil dot reticle or have a clue how much the round will drop over distance.
What I find amusing about the above comment is that I have over 40 years of competitive shooting experience in both smallbore and high power rifle and I don't have a clue what a mil dot reticle is, nor how to use it...

Basically it's a normal reticle with dots on the vertical and horizontal lines. It helps when shooting distances other than the one your rifle's sighted in for. Basically a fancy method of Kentucky windage.
Mikey_P

Post by Mikey_P »

Andre wrote:
corning wrote:

Basically it's a normal reticle with dots on the vertical and horizontal lines. It helps when shooting distances other than the one your rifle's sighted in for. Basically a fancy method of Kentucky windage.
Here's a nice, brief article giving an explanation of mil-dots and MOA for anybody who may be interested. Worth a few minutes of reading time, IMHO - http://snipercountry.com/Articles/MilDot_MOA.asp
USMC0802

Post by USMC0802 »

Haven't read it but mil-dots are actually used to estimate range on a know size target so you can set the appropriate dope on your scope using the dials.