Air Pistol Range lights

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Alex L

Air Pistol Range lights

Post by Alex L »

Can any one send me some photos of Indoor
Air pistol range lighting arrangements, please.
Individual ones that fit onto a wall above the targets as the ones I mean, - for paper targets, not electronic targets.

What should we look for - LED lights or fluorescent tubes?

Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks, Alex L.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

Is there a problem at MISC? I have not been there for a few years.
Alex L

Air Pistol Range lights

Post by Alex L »

Hi Spencer,
It is nothing to do with MISC - it is at my Club. There is no problem, but they are thinking of changing the light system. I have been looking at different types of lighting which fit on top of targets.
Our range is well above the requirements, but they are thinking of getting more economical lights. The floodlights are too expensive to run, and even though they are correctly fitted, there is a light focus difference which can be picked up.
I am trying to help the Club by researching various types of lighting and thought I would ask here on the International Forum.
I would appreciate your personal view.
Regards, Alex L.
IPshooter

Post by IPshooter »

Rover

Post by Rover »

I can tell you that a set of shielded (to avoid glare from downrange) fluorescent lights across the ceiling near the targets works perfectly here at the PRGC. Cheap, too, and some asshole hardly ever shoots them (YMMV).
ColinC

Post by ColinC »

Hi Alex
Have trialled bright white LED's on one range at Traralgon and they were good.
We are going to fit 2 continuous strips of bright white LEDs. We have had fluoro tubes but they dim with age and are costly to replace.
The LED lights throw a slight blue hue but with the new VAPA AP targets which are more of a cream color than the old ones, the result is a nice white target.
I got 5m LED strips on-line for around $16. We are fitting them inside the fluoro housing.
Give me a call or PM me if you want to know more. Otherwise catch up with me at Yarra Open
Regards Colin
toddinjax

Post by toddinjax »

For a home range, would CFL bulbs be a reasonable choice/alternative for LED's?
thirdwheel

Post by thirdwheel »

My club has just kindly put up a 50w CREE light at 10m for me to use, the difference cannot be overstated but superb kina hits the spot.
nglitz

Re: Air Pistol Range lights

Post by nglitz »

Overhead fluorescents are "super cool white" or 4100K color temperature. The little lamps over each target are Ikea cheapies with 60 Watt "equivalent" CFLs. I would have used LED "bulbs" if they weren't so expensive.

No complaints from any shooters, both NRA & ISSF matches.
Norm
in beautiful, gun friendly New Jersey