sore back

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

TommyH

sore back

Post by TommyH »

Hi

Have found when I'm standing for x amount of time shooting 10 metre air pistol, my back aches like hell. Anyone suggest any exercises that work for them if they suffer the same?

Thanks

Tom
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Sort of depends where it hurts and what's causing it. I'd go along to a physio for advice - if you can, take your pistol or at least show them your stance. Other thing I'd suggest is get someone to take some pics of you shooting and post them up here.

Rob.
j-team

Post by j-team »

There's a pretty good chance that abdominal strengthening exersises will help.

But, as suggested, get a health professional to check you over first just to make sure it's nothing more serious.
TommyH

Post by TommyH »

Thanks for the replies, I might try a physio, I've suffered with back pain for years but this is a new kind of pain, I did a web search and a lot of people swear on lunges which stretch the hip extensors, I've tried them but they're not working.

Tom
FredB

knees?

Post by FredB »

As has been pointed out, this kind of problem is impossible to diagnose long distance, let alone on an internet forum frequented by, to put it gently, non-experts. Still, there's a remote chance this hint may help you. A physical therapist told me to stop locking my knees when I shoot, especially my left leg since I shoot right-handed. That change did help my lower back pain somewhat. No danger to giving it a try.

FredB
spektr

Post by spektr »

There's also the good old fashioned problem of standing on excessively hard surfaces. Look at your shoes and maybe seek orthotics... They help me a bunch...
TommyH

Post by TommyH »

Hi all

I strongly agree with the abdominal exercises, I have been doing them for years, otherwise my back would be a total right-off, I have to do them as soon as I get up in the morning at 6am, then I do some more when I get home from work. Previously, my pain was mostly in the lower region of the back but since I have been shooting pistol, the pain occurs in the mid back. I know of an excellent physio, he is a member of Everton FC physio team, I should contact him to arrange an appointment,

Tom
ssingh

Post by ssingh »

I found running and short sprints very helpful for back pain. But a phsio may be able to advice you better.

my back always pain due to old injury and it become worse if I do abdominal exercise.

I only do FP60 and AP60. If I happen to shoot FP60 and AP60 matches back to back, then I am out of action for days resting in bed.
TommyH

Post by TommyH »

Hi ssing

I can't run any more due to my knees, through many years of road running when I was younger (I'm a wreck). I shot a couple of practice rounds of AP60 at first but I couldn't do that now - where's that physio's number, only problem is, it's £60 per hour, it's funny I'd happily spend that on my pistol but reluctantly spend it on me.

Tom