sight change 50 to 100m

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

redschietti

sight change 50 to 100m

Post by redschietti »

We have no opportunity to shoot 100m locally, but all the prone matches have 100 yd stages. Obviously you have to click up a lot. The amount of clicks depends on a lot of factors, rear sight, sight radius etc

Staying on a 50yd or 50m target the distance (height) to click up should be the same for any set up. My gun clicked up four inches should be the same as somebody else's gun clicked up four inches. Just the number of clicks/rotations will be different.

How many inches do I need to click up to be close moving from 50 to 100?

I hope my question makes sense
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

James ...
Most of the Anschutz sights are going to take 3-1/2 to 4 full turns.

Why not come out to NM after Nationals and shoot the firecracker 4800 w/us in Raton?
redschietti

Post by redschietti »

One reference says match ammo will drop 7in from 50 to 100. If Im 7in high at 50 will I be right on at 100? That doesn't feel right to me.

JHM, Maybe if I win the match Sunday! I'll put it on the list. We have 3 different set ups this spring and Im scratching my head where they will be at 100.
RobinC

Sights

Post by RobinC »

We do a lot of "Dewer" matches, 50 mts and 100 yds, here in the UK, the rise on standard sights such as Walther or Anschutz is around 50 clicks, if you have double click sights it will be double. Obviously there are variations but 50 clicks will get you in the 9 ring.
Good shooting

Post by Guest »

Red -

May I call you red?

7- 7 1/2 minutes up from 50 to 100 yards. Split the difference and you can fine tune your particular set-up.

Dennis L
redschietti

Post by redschietti »

Thanks guys,

I wouldn't be stressed, but Im trying to get a 14 yr old in good shape who will be there alone. LAst air match she was in the white for some unknown reason and figured it out fine. She will be ok.
Hap Rocketto

Come Ups from 50 to 100

Post by Hap Rocketto »

Red,

Dennis L, a very good prone shooter, gives the best advice in that he says come up 7-71/2 minutes. Always think minutes and not clicks.

The reason for using minutes over clicks is that is that sights vary from four clicks to a minute to as many as 20 clicks per minute. Knowing your minute to click conversion makes the process very simple.

Good Luck,

Hap.
Hap Rocketto

Come Ups from 50 to 100

Post by Hap Rocketto »

Red,

Dennis L, a very good prone shooter, gives the best advice in that he says come up 7-71/2 minutes. Always think minutes and not clicks.

The reason for using minutes over clicks is that is that sights vary from four clicks to a minute to as many as 20 clicks per minute. Knowing your minute to click conversion makes the process very simple.

Good Luck,

Hap.
redschietti

Post by redschietti »

So at 50 a half inch is a MOA. 7 minutes is 3.5 inches. Got it!
FrankD

Post by FrankD »

Hi all,

here in Germany shooting 100m small bore in the standing position is popular, so we need often to adjust our rear sights.

The normal match .22lr will hit the target ca. 24cm deep, when adjusted to zero on 50m. On the other site adjusted to zero on 100m it will give a ca. 12cm height shoot on 50m.

RobinC said 50 clicks on a normal 10-click rear sight (50 x 2.2mm) would give a good rule of thumb and we use this rule of thumb also with success. If a shooter cants his rifle he has also to adjust the horizontal deviation. Without this correction for canting on the left will give a point of impact on the target at ca. 8 o'clock. Ca. 10 clicks (10-click rear sight) to the right side will also give a good rule of thump for canting and adjusting the rear sight from 50 to 100m.

If you can't prove the right adjustment on a 100m range before competing there, you can use this 12cm height shoot for prove the right adjustment.

Regards from Germany

Frank
Chris

Post by Chris »

20 years ago when I was shooting lots of prone matches I picked up a front sight base with 2 steps on it. One for 50 and one for 100. No sight adjustment was required. I have no idea where I purchased it but it was great.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Chris wrote:20 years ago when I was shooting lots of prone matches I picked up a front sight base with 2 steps on it. One for 50 and one for 100. No sight adjustment was required. I have no idea where I purchased it but it was great.
In the UK there's a guy who makes a turnover foresight, that does exactly the same, it's called Neesom foresight, made by Barry Neesom <sp ?>.

Rob.
JamesH

Post by JamesH »

redschietti wrote:One reference says match ammo will drop 7in from 50 to 100. If Im 7in high at 50 will I be right on at 100? That doesn't feel right to me.

JHM, Maybe if I win the match Sunday! I'll put it on the list. We have 3 different set ups this spring and Im scratching my head where they will be at 100.
You would need to be 3.5" high at 50 to account for 7in drop at 100.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

RobStubbs wrote:In the UK there's a guy who makes a turnover foresight, that does exactly the same, it's called Neesom foresight, made by Barry Neesom <sp ?>.

Rob.
It's spelled Nesom, although as Barry is a Yorkshireman he says Neesom.

He makes a version of John Kelly's sight, which I think was derived from the American Womack, much as John's triggers were "inspired" by Karl Kenyon's.
BigAl

Post by BigAl »

I had a Kelly foresight and it was really good. I needed to add 5 or 6 clicks up and around 4 right to allow for the cant. I lent it to someone who wanted to make something similar and the guy vanished with it. John also made a really nice rear sight that would not develop backlash, and the trigger which was really amazing even better than the factory Anschutz units.

My 3P coach Bob Sanderson had a rifle with Kelly sight and trigger, and IIRC a John Kelly stock as well.

On my 1813 I find that 4 full turns of the knob will get you in the NSRA 9 ring at 100 yards. For the American shooters the NSRA target is sort of proportional to the ISSF 50m target, and the 9 ring is pretty close to the US NRA 10 ring.

Alan
redschietti

Post by redschietti »

Clicking up 4in and over for cant at 50 put her 'pretty close' at 100

Post by Guest »

I believe Champions Choice in LaVerne TN still sells the 2 step front sight base, or contact Champions Shooter Supply in Ohio.

One positive thing about the base, besides slight clicking, is your cheek position on the stock does not change. If you click up 30 or so clicks, you have to move your cheek piece up as well, to keep proper eye position on the sight.

If you can find one, the old Womack front sight, came in 6 or 8 inches long, also had the 50-100 adjustment.