scores to make it into USAMU

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

gitkrunk

scores to make it into USAMU

Post by gitkrunk »

I tried emailed some of the coaches and haven't received any responses.

Was wondering what it takes to make it onto the team starting as a civilian.

Looking for a end goal for myself.

Either free, rapid or bullseye.

Thanks
Chris
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

I was never part of that unit, but I did shoot on a National Guard Highpower team and rubbed shoulder with a couple of members of it.... I'm not completely sure, but I think you must first be a member of the Army with a combat or weapons oriented MOS (military occupational specialty). Most of the USAMU members I knew or read about were infantry soldiers. Any Army recruiter should be able to give you more concrete information, but, then...take everything a recruiter tells you with more than a grain of salt! Perhaps the safest option is to talk to a member of the USAMU directly at a match.... and ask them how they got on. The National Matches at Camp Perry would be fertile ground for that, I imagine.....
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Here ya go.......

http://www.usaac.army.mil/amu/unit/join.asp

As for the level of scores they're looking for, I have no idea....again, try and talk to a serving member of the team you're interested in.
Sharpsman

USAMTU

Post by Sharpsman »

GOD BLESS AMERICA!
john bickar

Post by john bickar »

Disclaimer: I have no association with the USAMU, so what I have to say is only an outsider's perspective.

However, I was recruited by the AMU (hard) when I was younger, and I've known many of the bullseye and international shooters and coaches over the past 20+ years.

First and foremost, they're looking for youngsters, so scores are relative to your age. If you're 16 years old, subtract 5-10 points from the scores listed below. If you're 35, add 5-10 points.

Bullseye
The most important thing for bullseye is that you haven't been "burned" at Camp Perry yet; that is, you've never fired in the NTT.

Scores: if you can shoot Master scores (2565+) and - more importantly - 270s in a leg match, you could probably get a look.

President's 100 is a plus, as is Distinguished Pistol. Learn to shoot that service pistol.

Free Pistol
540s - 550s should get you a look.

Rapid Fire
560s should get you a look.

Air Pistol
560s - 570s should get you a look.

For the international events, results at USASNC, Winter Airgun, or USAS selection matches are more meaningful than other matches. Nobody cares if you shot a 570 in a postal. Likewise, for bullseye, results at Camp Perry and larger regionals (e.g., Canton) are more meaningful.

On the plus side, high peaks are more noticeable than consistent mediocrity. A kid that shot a 514 and then a 540 (FP) over the two days at UASASNC would get a closer look than one that shot a pair of 525s.

HTH

Post by Guest »

john bickar wrote:Disclaimer: I have no association with the USAMU, so what I have to say is only an outsider's perspective.

However, I was recruited by the AMU (hard) when I was younger, and I've known many of the bullseye and international shooters and coaches over the past 20+ years.

First and foremost, they're looking for youngsters, so scores are relative to your age. If you're 16 years old, subtract 5-10 points from the scores listed below. If you're 35, add 5-10 points.

Bullseye
The most important thing for bullseye is that you haven't been "burned" at Camp Perry yet; that is, you've never fired in the NTT.

Scores: if you can shoot Master scores (2565+) and - more importantly - 270s in a leg match, you could probably get a look.

President's 100 is a plus, as is Distinguished Pistol. Learn to shoot that service pistol.

Free Pistol
540s - 550s should get you a look.

Rapid Fire
560s should get you a look.

Air Pistol
560s - 570s should get you a look.

For the international events, results at USASNC, Winter Airgun, or USAS selection matches are more meaningful than other matches. Nobody cares if you shot a 570 in a postal. Likewise, for bullseye, results at Camp Perry and larger regionals (e.g., Canton) are more meaningful.

On the plus side, high peaks are more noticeable than consistent mediocrity. A kid that shot a 514 and then a 540 (FP) over the two days at UASASNC would get a closer look than one that shot a pair of 525s.

HTH
Thanks John!
I guess i better start showing up to nationals and large events.
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

As an addendum, one of the better ways into the AMU is through the Army reserves. Jim Henderson was active duty for a while, then on the national Reserve team, for a few years, then back on active duty after he had great success as an Army Reserve shooter.

I noticed that last year Nick Mowrer was shooting for the Army Reserve team, and I suspect he is following the same route.

Post by Guest »

Do not talk to your Army recruiter first. You need a letter from the AMU command before you sign. This is from Staff Sargent Hank Gray. He stated this at class at Camp Perry.
john bickar

Post by john bickar »

Anonymous wrote:Do not talk to your Army recruiter first. You need a letter from the AMU command before you sign. This is from Staff Sargent Hank Gray. He stated this at class at Camp Perry.
Oh, excellent point!

Yes, I have heard this from multiple AMU shooters, and even coaches.
bpscCheney

Post by bpscCheney »

Talking to Sgt. Lorenzen, she said that personality was also a big deal.
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

bpscCheney wrote:Talking to Sgt. Lorenzen, she said that personality was also a big deal.

This is correct. The purpose of the AMU is not to win matches at Camp Perry, although they love to do that.

They are there to promote the sport, and encourage people to join the Army It is a P.R unit, so if you don't like people, and don't relate well to coaching and teaching, they are not likely to be interested in you.
aafirearmstraining

Have you considered the Army Reserve?

Post by aafirearmstraining »

Have you thought about the Army Reserve? We also have a Marksmanship team. If you could post National Match scores in the 260s you would probably be a candidate to be a New Shooter. We took 4th Place at the Interservice Pistol competition this year, right behind the AMU, the Marine Corps, and the All-Guard team. In 2010, we actually beat the AMU in two team matches. Let me know if you are interested or call a recruiter. (I am not a recruiter but I am on the USAR marksmanship team).
P. Sleem
President
All American Firearms & Training
Gunsmithing & Training
www.aafirearmstraining.com
Muffo

Post by Muffo »

Do you know if it is possible for people to be in 2 different sections of the USAMU