What was the first 32 Wadcutter Pistol?

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

fc60

What was the first 32 Wadcutter Pistol?

Post by fc60 »

Greetings,

Does anyone know what company produced the first 32 S&W Long WadCutter Pistol?

My guess would be Walther with the GSP-C.

Cheers,

Dave
JamesH

Post by JamesH »

Based on a quick search.... it seems the Smith and Wesson K32 goes at least as far back as the 1940s, the Manuhrin is slightly later than the GSP apparently
Dr. Jim

Post by Dr. Jim »

The K32 however is a revolver not a "pistol" in the sense that Dave is using, especially as it is not limited to the wadcutter load. I think the GSP-C is the first, certainly it was the first one that I encountered in the 70s.

Dr Jim
fc60

32 Autoloader, not Revolver

Post by fc60 »

Greetings,

Yes, I was asking about an autoloader.

I have 32 WadCutter ammo made by Remington and Western that dates before WW2. They have balloon head cases and do not work safely in autoloaders.

Cheers,

Dave
6string

Post by 6string »

There was a gunsmithing company in Prescott AZ by the name of Atkinson & Marquart that made custom 32 conversions on the Ruger 22 pistol.
They fabricated their own barrels and magazines. The grip frame being essentially made of sheet steel, was probably relatively easy to open up for the larger magazine. Some had heavy bull barrels, some had tapered barrels with a front sight barrel band. The blowback action was regulated by a large weight attached to the rear of the bolt.
I believe they started making these in the 1960s. They're not terribly common, but I've seen a couple for sale over the years.
I was surprised to see this listing still archived. I remember seeing the original auction:
http://www.gunauction.com/buy/8064237/p ... esson-long
PS: You might notice the interesting magazine release built into the magazine itself!
Leon

Post by Leon »

What about the Sako .22/32 or Triace? Or did the GSP-C predate that?