Noptel: Cannot install drivers for sensor

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

ZD

Noptel: Cannot install drivers for sensor

Post by ZD »

My team has recently acquired a USB Noptel unit, and I attempted to get it to run yesterday. However, while I was able to download the software from the Noptel thumb drive included, there were no recognizable driver files on the thumb drive. I will not be able to run the senor until I find the suitable driver. Any items under the thumb drive folder "Drivers" were files that could not be run. I went to Noptel's website and downloaded the latest there, no luck. If anyone has any thoughts and suggestions, it would be much appreciated. For the record I tried to get this to work on a laptop running windows 7. I know with SCATT I have never had any issues downloading the drivers.
Chris__Colorado

Post by Chris__Colorado »

I had a similar problem.

Do a google search on how to load unsigned drivers. You'll have to run
Windows in the test mode.

This will allow the Noptel drivers to run.

It seems that Windows will not allow "unsigned" drivers to run and Noptel has not gone through the process to get them "signed"

Hope this helps,
Chris
ZD

Post by ZD »

I will certainly give it a try later, thank you.

-Zach

Noptel

Post by Guest »

Did you have any luck with this?
ZD

Post by ZD »

My coach got it to work by putting noptel on a computer running XP, he said the drivers popped right up. So far no luck with Windows 7

Post by Guest »

Something else to try for Windows 7...

Download All three of the Noptel drivers from this webpage
http://www.noptel.fi/eng/sport/index.ph ... 7_software

If you have already plugged in the Noptel to your computer, go to device manager and delete the Noptel driver---when it asks you to confirm device deletion, unplug the Noptel, answer yes and delete the driver.

Reboot the computer.

Now, pick one of the drivers and install it.
Reboot the computer.
Now plug in the Noptel unit.
Run the Notpel software to see if the sensor is recognized.
If it is, you are successful.
If it is not, go to device manager, delete the device driver.. and try the process again with the next driver.
One of them will work, but as I did this in January, I can't remember which one.

I do remember that I had to look up how to install an "unsigned driver" for at least one computer.

To do that, when you reboot, hit F8 repeatedly.
Then select the following from the DOS looking menu that will appear
to select which type of Windows 7 environment you want:

"Disable driver signature enforcement"

This will boot you into the Windows 7 Test Mode, which in my computer is displayed in the lower right corner.

Now, in this special mode of windows, repeat the driver install process.
I do know that for me, on three different computers, I was able to get the Noptel working.

It's a bit tedious, but once it's installed, it runs without a problem.
Hope this helps.

Chris
ZD

Post by ZD »

I will hopefully have time friday to do this. On the link on noptel's website that takes you to the separate website for drivers, do you remember which one you downloaded? I know I downloaded one of the top ones, version 2.10.00, I believe I downloaded the 32 bit. In any case, I appreciate your help, and I will be very happy if I can get this to work for Windows 7.

-Zach
Chris_Colorado

Post by Chris_Colorado »

On the link that takes you to the FTDI site
http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

I downloaded the very first one, which has
2.10.00 WHQL Certified in the comments.

One other item I remembered is that the driver I "thought" should work, and I ended up using one that I didn't think was the right driver.
It was one of these cases where:
I used the 32 bit driver versus the 64 bit driver
or
I used tthe older NOPTEL driver versus the newer driver.

That is why my previous post suggested installing each driver and testing it as the one that worked was not the one I expected to work based upon the description. It's a tedious trial and error--expect to spend about an hour altogether.

You can save some time by going directly to the "unsigned driver process", but I would recommend against that.

I would recommend to try the offsite FTDI driver first (I believe it is signed) as FTDI provides the serial to USB chip converter used in the Noptel unit. That is what you really need for the software to see the Noptel sensor.

Let us know how it works out.
Chris