Periodization Training for Shooting Athletes

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

GoArmyRifle555

Periodization Training for Shooting Athletes

Post by GoArmyRifle555 »

Periodization is the technique of manipulating intensity and quantity of an individuals training in order to peak for a specific competition.

It's used by high level athletes for many sports, but I was wondering if anyone has experience or resources on this subject with regards to more mental sports like shooting.

I am thinking about writing a Senior Thesis tying this theory to the shooting sports, which can hopefully be useful to coaches and shooters in the future.

-Joe
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

I have seen a few presentations in coaches and/or shooters clinics, and I think Marcus has a current version that has all of the aspects you would be looking for.

Now, most of the time this is presented and you look around the room you see far away stares as it is presented in a manner that is pretty cut & dried ... i.e. lots of slides that unless you are really into it are a bit hard to follow.
Lots more examples would be helpful to the majority, but I understand that this is usually presented in a short time period so that alone makes a through presentation tough.

As an opinion here, I think there are (at least) three different groups of shooters that this must be applied in different ways:
1) Year round, very consistent training shooters ... i.e. Club, National team & USAMU types ... and others that train like them for specific selections and say, major intl comps
2) High school type shooters that train during the school year and have major matches late-Feb thru April
3) Collegiate type programs ... unique in that they have lots of matches throughout 5-6mo and then conference champs, NCAA selection and NCAA Champs spread throughout the last month. I think this is the hardest group to figure out periodization for.

Post by Guest »

Look up Lanny Baasham!
SPPcoach

Post by SPPcoach »

Periodization is method of training that is designed to allow an athlete to "peak" at the competition. Look up the name Tudor Bompa on bookfinder.com. He is the individual that coined the phrase. Post your thesis here when you have written it. I would enjoy reading it.
RobStubbs

Performance planning

Post by RobStubbs »

There's some good stuff on the ISSF website for example;

http://www.issf-sports.org/getfile.aspx ... &file=2011 01 Kilty performance planning.pdf

If you go into the academy\library section you'll find lots of articles.

No doubt other sports have very similar documents - especially archery which is probably the closest to shooting.

Rob.