Problem with Rika home training system

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

lakerway16

Problem with Rika home training system

Post by lakerway16 »

I just got a used Rika system, but Windows 8 can't open any of the Rika software because there are no apps compatible. Does anyone have any experience with the Rika training system and Windows 8?
dronning

Post by dronning »

I don't know if it works with Windows 8 but do you have the latest software version? I'd start with that first.

http://www.pilkguns.com/hometrainer.shtml
Certified Safety Instructor: Rifle & Pistol
They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
~ Ben Franklin
lakerway16

Post by lakerway16 »

I downloaded the latest software off the website, but it's still unsupported by Windows 8. Every time I try to open it, it just says that no apps are fit to read the file.
lakerway16

Post by lakerway16 »

I downloaded the latest software off the website, but it's still unsupported by Windows 8. Every time I try to open it, it just says that no apps are fit to read the file.
bummer7

Post by bummer7 »

Which version of Windows 8 are you running? 32 or 64-bit?
John Marchant

Post by John Marchant »

You might need to instruct the software to run in an earlier version of Windows and I am not sure that the Rika system supports 64bit platform.
dronning

Post by dronning »

John Marchant wrote:You might need to instruct the software to run in an earlier version of Windows and I am not sure that the Rika system supports 64bit platform.
+1

FYI - to run app in Compatibility Mode right click the app , select Properties, you will see the Compatibility tab.
They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
~ Ben Franklin
RandomShotz

Post by RandomShotz »

I had to run a virtual machine to get it to run on a laptop with Win 7. Have a look at this thread and see if it helps:

http://www.targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?t=34995

If that doesn't work for you, try searching the forum for "rika".

Good luck -

Roger

Edit to add: Rika software is 16 bit (fine German engineering, huh?) I had no luck with the "compatibility mode" option - it didn't work in Win 7 so I doubt it will work in Win 8; M$ is not big on back-compatibility.

R.
lakerway16

Post by lakerway16 »

I have been trying to convert the file from a .ex_ to a .exe, and that will hopefully make it easier to open
bummer7

Post by bummer7 »

Based on your last message, Have you unzipped the Rika program yet? if you already completed this step, have you tried running the Rika.exe program?

RIKA

Post by Guest »

Buy an old laptop that runs Windows XP
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

When I last communicated with them, a while back, they did not seem interested in doing a version that would work in Win7.
If they don't do something, they will soon have a product that will NOT work with a Windows computer and knock themselves out of a market.

Maybe Scott can give them a nudge.

I have mine installed in a MS Win Virtual PC in Win7.
I have no idea if Win8 has a similar Virtual PC function.
dronning

Post by dronning »

Dump it and get a SCATT
~ Ben Franklin
Rutty

Post by Rutty »

When I last communicated with them, a while back, they did not seem interested in doing a version that would work in Win7.
If they don't do something, they will soon have a product that will NOT work with a Windows computer and knock themselves out of a market.
Dump it and get a SCATT
I have to say that I think that both statements are probably correct. I like RIKA, it has some useful features but the company have not put any significant effort into updating it almost since its inception. With the appearance on the market of the SCATT MX02, RIKA have a lot of catching up to do. I have not known of anyone buying a new RIKA for quite a number of years and it would not surprise me if it was no longer in production with all new stock coming off the shelf.

The positive side is that RIKA should be very cheap on the secondhand market. So, with the addition of a really old "log burning" laptop you will have a good value trainer, certainly good for club use.

I can only conclude by quoting dronning - "Dump it and get a SCATT"

Rutty
bummer7

Post by bummer7 »

GaryN wrote: I have mine installed in a MS Win Virtual PC in Win7.

Hi Gary,

I'm running the Rika software on two laptops and a desktop. Two systems are running Windows 7, 32-bit and the desktop is Windows 8, 32-bit. All three installations have been in use for several years now except for the Windows 8 system which I installed about 7 months ago.
I don't disagree the Rika software is dated and a 16-bit application but so far I have not had any problems with it.

-Steve
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

Thanks Steve,
At least there is a workable solution to keep the old software running, until and IF they upgrade the software.

This feels like a situation where the developer(s) left the company and the people left are not able to continue the software.

Or what language was it written in that it cannot be recompiled with a 32 or 64 bit compiler. Maybe a language that is long dead, thus without a 32 or 64 bit compiler.

What I really hope did not happen is that the source code and design docs are lost. In which case it will require a complete redesign and rewrite just to get to where it is now. That would really be a bummer.
nglitz

Re:

Post by nglitz »

bummer7 wrote:
GaryN wrote: I have mine installed in a MS Win Virtual PC in Win7.

Hi Gary,

I'm running the Rika software on two laptops and a desktop. Two systems are running Windows 7, 32-bit and the desktop is Windows 8, 32-bit. All three installations have been in use for several years now except for the Windows 8 system which I installed about 7 months ago.
I don't disagree the Rika software is dated and a 16-bit application but so far I have not had any problems with it.

-Steve
Just acquired a used Rika home trainer. The previous owner ran it on XP. I bought a windows 7 laptop to use with it ($180 on ebay. It's great!). Downloaded the compatibility package from Microsoft and set up XP mode. Played with the "properties" tab on the setup.exe file. I tried downloads from both the Rika site and Pilkguns' site. Long story short, I can't get anything to even start up. The little arrow goes around in circles for two or three seconds and quits.

Can you offer any insight?

Editing to add: I've upgraded from 7 "home premium" to "Professional" so I could download VM virtual machine then run and XP mode in VM. Now the software opens and I can access admin & help screens. So far, so good. Loaded the Keystone driver. The Keystone USB adapter is "attached" and the setup.exe is in USB mode. After setting up all the hardware, plugging in the serial cable to a Keystone USB adapter and a short USB cable, "No Rika home trainer found".

I've tried many variations including both versions 3.8 and 3.9 USB. They both open and run, but neither can "find" the hardware.

arrgh!

Thanks,
Norm
in beautiful, gun friendly New Jersey
GaryN

Re: Problem with Rika home training system

Post by GaryN »

Norm
You may have to try a different serial to USB adapter.
I recall reading that RIKA had compatibility problems with certain adapters.
I have not used mine in a while, but I think I used a Belkin serial to USB adapter.
nglitz

Post by nglitz »

I'm up & running now. I have a serial port Rika on a laptop with no serial port. The USB version of Rika hardware may well be easier. Here's the basics:
Windows7, any version but "home". I upgraded from home to professional for $20.
Download VM, virtual machine for free. Windows7 home won't do it.
Download XP Mode for free. This opens an XP machine in a window in Windows 7. Neat!
Download the Rika software in the XP screen. 3.8 or 3.9 will both work.
Plugged the Rika into my Keyspan serial to USB adapter and the USB cable into the laptop. Software on the CD that came with it didn't work for me, the XP wouldn't "attach" it. Went to the Keyspan website and downloaded their driver. That worked! Again, download it in the XP screen.
Open Keyspan's program and set it to COM1. The computer objected with several warning messages predicting all sorts of damage. Just say Yes. It worked very happily. Set paramaters to 9600 baud, 8 bits just like an ancient dot matrix printer would use. The Rika software is that old!
At the top of the XP screen, in the USB bar, click attach under the Keyspan line.
Plug in all the Rika hardware and turn it on.
Start the Rika software, check the admin screen to set English language and COM1 as the port. And log on.

Taa Daaa!

When you quit, don't close the XP window, just minimuze it. Makes for a much faster startup.
Norm
in beautiful, gun friendly New Jersey
Jkvandal

Post by Jkvandal »

I'm trying to troubleshoot this same issue...

I have a windows 8 computer and downloaded Rika v3.9 and was able to get the program to run. The problem is, like others, I can't get the software to see the hardware.

The fella that sent me the trainer was able to get it to work with this serial to USB adapter (brand is Airlink AC-USBS) but I can't get the program to see it. When it's plugged in to the computer, I can pull it up in device manager and the computer can see it, but I can't get the Rika software to see it.. I tried playing around with assigning the USB adapter to different ports COM1, COM2, etc, but Rika won't see it...any ideas?