Scatt calibration issue

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

vishwadangat

Scatt calibration issue

Post by vishwadangat »

Hi,

I am an air rifle shooter. I use a FWB 700 air rifle. I have been using scatt for a month now and hardly faced any issues with it till now. Today morning I set up the scatt and was not able to calibrate it (to get the scatt trace on target.) I can see the trace outside the outer circle in calibration window. Not sure why this is happening! The sensor is mounted exactly below the barrel.

Can anyone help me with sorting out this issue?

Also, can someone who has used scatt extensively for air rifle training guide me where can I find suitable material on scatt equipment troubleshooting?

Thanks in advance!
BM

Post by BM »

There is some troubleshooting in the manual that came with the Scatt (also download on scatt.com.

Assuming you didn't change the position of the sensor on the barrel (either way) and target orientation I think the lens has to be loose. You can screw it on from the front. Other cause could be illumination or mirrors on the range. Remember that the targets send the infrared towards the sensor (sensor=receiver). Any objects in that line might interfere with the signal.
dronning

Post by dronning »

I changed a light bulb to a CFL in the room the target is in and started having problems with my SCATT ended up going to an LED light and changing it's position, no more problems.
Certified Safety Instructor: Rifle & Pistol
They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
~ Ben Franklin
RossM

Post by RossM »

Yes, any "flashing" light in the room can affect the SCATT. The light signals are flashing from the SCATT and if they get overridden by light modulations they can screw up the system.

This can include fluorescents as well. Especially the phosphors with the short time constant.

The new LED lights are even worse because they turn off and on very quickly. Fluoros just reduce their brightness within each cycle.
vishwadangat

Post by vishwadangat »

Hi everyone,

Appreciate your help. I tried several solutions including putting carpet on the tiles for all 10 m and putting an obstruction midway. Still unable to calibrate my scatt. (My hold is decent and generally the avg scatt curve length is 20mm.) I am just not able to get the shot in working area. The rifle mark is always on right. I tried swinging the rifle to left to get it in middle but in this case it goes to left of the working area in calibration window.

Could any of the experienced shooters help me with this?

Thanks in advance.
HWN1011

Post by HWN1011 »

I had this issue with my Scatt from new.
When I first used the Scatt I couldn't get the trace within the calibration window. I ended up having to pack 4 thin bits of paper under the rear edge of the sensor to barrel mounting. This has adjusted the sensor enough so it's now within the calibration window.
Maybe your sensor has had a little knock and the mounting bracket is now a little out of true.
Try removing the sensor from the bracket and then re attaching see if this helps if not you will need to pack the bracket with some paper.
I don't know why they haven't designed a little adjustment into the bracket.
illinoisshooter12

Re: Scatt calibration issue

Post by illinoisshooter12 »

vishwadangat, where you able to solve this problem? I couldn't describe the issue we are having any more precise than you. The device has been working great for a couple months, then all of a sudden we are having calibration problems and seeing it consistently on target - or at all. Have tried many adjustments.

Any advise would be great. Having exact same issue as vishwadangat.

Thx
illinoisshooter12

Re: Scatt calibration issue

Post by illinoisshooter12 »

Posting how we finally solved our problem - hoping it might help somebody. We setup our scat in the basement that had "line of fire" in part down a hallway. We HAD a framed picture on the wall of that hallway. As it turns out, the infrared must have been reflecting off the glass of that picture and was causing false readings. I looked up at that picture one day frustrated at this problem and a light bulb went on - that could be it. We removed the picture from the wall - PROBLEM SOLVED.

Of course, this is related to a glossy floor causing problems - it just happened to be on the wall. Ever since, the Scatt has been great. Able to practice 3-5 times we week without being able to make it to the range that often - and of course the information feedback is superb.

Good shooting!