I win

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Rover

I win

Post by Rover »

This guy sets three National Records and ties the World Record!
Anyone ever heard of him?

NRA National Records

AIR PISTOL - 10 METERS
60 SHOTS - INDIVIDUAL

Category Record Holder
Open Sushil Mehandru
Colts Neck, NJ 593 9/15/2012
Civilian Sushil Mehandru
Service E BULJUNG
FT BENNING, GA 587 5/13/1989
Junior N CALOIA
COTTAGE GROVE, OR 577 1/28/1991
Junior KELLY MORRIS
SHELTON, WA 577 3/27/1994
Senior Sushil Mehandru
Collegiate CHRISTOPHER R. MILLER
ANNAPOLIS, MD 580 2/18/2005
Chris

Post by Chris »

There is a Dr. Sushil Mehandru in NJ who looks like the correct age.

I have never heard of him. I would like to hear the story behind this guy.
adair

Post by adair »

Whoever he is, he is also just as good in free pistol. At some point, he was ranked #1 in free pistol by USA Shooting, shooting a 565: http://www.usashootingngb.com/viewRanki ... freePistol
Chris

Post by Chris »

His AP average in the national ranking is 555 across 9 matches. Shot well above average to break the national record.
rmca

Post by rmca »

World Record is 594 by Jin Jong-oh (KOR) April 12, 2009 Changwon (KOR).

But impressive non the less!
Rover

Post by Rover »

Over four hundred people looked at this so far and not one ever heard of the guy? He was ranked number one in Free by shooting only one match.

Wassup?
Joakim

Post by Joakim »

At least he's not new to the game. He participated in the 1999 Crosman Championships in Toronto, scoring around 540 in AP. He has obviously improved his shooting since then! But yes, it's very hard to find more recent information about him online: I can't even seem to find the results from that Colts Neck competition. Aren't the results of US competitions posted on the Internet…?
Rob

Post by Rob »

Chris wrote:There is a Dr. Sushil Mehandru in NJ who looks like the correct age.

I have never heard of him. I would like to hear the story behind this guy.
The Doctor is one of the nicest person I've met, and shot with. If its the same Sushil, then I'd say his scores improved dramatically!
Rover

Post by Rover »

I got this from the NRA: now we know.

"I have reviewed everything that I can find.

We have scores on file for this shooter as far back as 1990, which is when we went live with new classification tracking software. He might have been shooting before that.

He fired 4 events in 2012 and carries a Master classification. His previous high score was 583.

The paperwork for a national record was completed and filed following the event.

He was the only Air Pistol competitor at the event but we are unable to find anything in the rule book that requires more than one competitor to set a national record. This will be addressed with the Pistol Committee this fall.

One record set was the Senior record, which is NOT a record authorized by the rule book. We are unaware of how this record came to appear to be authorized online but that has been corrected and reviewed from view. The only category records authorized by the rule book are; open, civilian, service, women, junior, and collegiate.

I hope this helps you and answers your questions."
rmca

Post by rmca »

Rover wrote: He was the only Air Pistol competitor at the event

And he won!? (Obviously...) And set a national record!?

Sounds way to fishy for me... No matter how good he shoot before.
Chris

Post by Chris »

So does the NRA think that he only got the senior record then and not the open and civilian record also. I was wondering if he shot 1 or 3 shots per target. If I remember correctly you have to shoot 1/bull for AP.
Rover

Post by Rover »

I think the NRA is saying that there is NO "Senior" record classification. They make no mention of how the match was fired.

In the previous National Record (592 with a CO2 gun), I knew the shooter, the referee (both dead now), and the match director. John Bickar and I had discussed it.
Chris

Post by Chris »

I was talking to another shooting who has been shooting a long time and he was questioning if someone in the senior category could even shoot a score at that level. Most people do not have the visual acuity to shoot a world class score past a certain age.

My gut tells me someone used the wrong overlay or plug to score his targets and did not know what they were doing.

I think the NRA should review the targets in this case.
1813benny

Post by 1813benny »

Chris wrote:I was talking to another shooting who has been shooting a long time and he was questioning if someone in the senior category could even shoot a score at that level. Most people do not have the visual acuity to shoot a world class score past a certain age.

My gut tells me someone used the wrong overlay or plug to score his targets and did not know what they were doing.

I think the NRA should review the targets in this case.
I believe the NRA has to receive and review all targets submitted for national records....section 17 of the rule book....at least that is the rule for smallbore rifle.
Ken
dronning

Post by dronning »

Chris wrote: Most people do not have the visual acuity to shoot a world class score past a certain age.
Visual acuity didn't hold archer Im Dong-hyun from breaking his own world record. I would agree that not having perfect vision makes it more difficult but not impossible.

"South Korean archer Im Dong-hyun sees only blurred colors and lines when he peers toward the target about 76 yards away, arrow at the ready. It doesn't stop the legally blind Olympian from hitting the grapefruit-sized yellow center -- again and again and again. He broke his own world record just before the opening ceremony for the 2012 Olympic games."

Dave
skaterboy54

Post by skaterboy54 »

wow his awesome he must be doing it for a long time and trained for a long time

Last edited by skaterboy54 on Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
john bickar

Post by john bickar »

Rover wrote:In the previous National Record (592 with a CO2 gun),
I thought the previous record was the Reuben Hafter (sp?) record of 589, in ~1989. I'm not familiar with a 592. Who was it with the 592?

Of course, the USAS and NRA records forked in or around '94, but the 589 was a USAS record until Daryl broke it with a 590 in the Olympic Trials in Anniston in 2011. The last I had checked the NRA records it was still 589, but that may have been a couple of years back (when I last checked).
Rover wrote:I knew the shooter, the referee (both dead now), and the match director. John Bickar and I had discussed it.
We did what now?
Rover

Post by Rover »

John, I was going from memory so you may well be correct on Reuben's record.

When I started this, I just wondered why I had never heard of the guy.
Had you?

It turned into kind of an inquisition.

I was under the impression that we had chatted about Reubens record via PM. Again, I may be having a Senior Moment.
mtncwru

Post by mtncwru »

Rover wrote:Again, I may be having a Senior Moment.
Yeah, but according to the NRA, there are no Senior Records, so we may never know! ;-)
Chris

Post by Chris »

What is different about archery sights used in the Olympics that enables a person with imperfect vision to perform at a high level?

Would Im Dong-hyun be able to use the same sighting system on an Air Pistol on his bow and equal his Olympic performance?

If open sights on pistols were easy to see when your eyes get old then we would not a red dots being used in conventional pistol as much as they are.