RIKA fails to install on Win7-x64

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

GaryN

RIKA fails to install on Win7-x64

Post by GaryN »

I am trying to install my RIKA on my laptop (Win7-x64) and it fails with an error message of "The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running."

When I right click and go into properties, there is no option to start the program in "compatibility mode."

Has anyone gotten RIKA to install on a Win7-x64 computer?
If so, how did you do it?

thanks much

Tom Amlie

Post by Guest »

Not the solution you had in mind, but I had a similar problem and just bought a refurbished XP machine on eBay for $99. Not portable like a laptop, but if you're always training in the same place it's not an issue. Obviously you can't conveniently take the desktop, monitor, etc. with you if you travel.
remmy223

Post by remmy223 »

Do some research on VMware.

I have a linux laptop that runs VMware which is a virtual computer inside my computer in which i have installed windozzz xp. this runs my scatt software.

it pretty straight forward once up and running. And it always makes me smile when i can boot my laptop and get into xp before most windows laptop's have only just got past the POST screen.

hope that helps.
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

I got this message from RIKA

" In Windows 7 are 32bit and 64bit software operating. The "Trainer-software" is 16bit.
But there is also an workaround for this problem: The XP-mode. "

So it looks like a virtual machine/dual boot is the only option on the laptop.
Or use an older laptop with XP installed just for RIKA.

I hate the idea of having to rebuild the laptop. That is going to be a LOT of work. So I will probably pull out an old laptop.
dsd

Post by dsd »

I believe "XP-Mode" is an add on to Windows 7, I do not think a rebuild is required. See http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtua ... nload.aspx
Looks like it is basically, an XP VM.

-dsd
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

You are correct.
I did not understand what XP-mode was.
I thought it was a dual boot or similar.

Well we shall see how much overhead the XP mode creates and if it is workable on my laptop.

If not, I will probably have to pull out my old laptop with XP on it.
Garrison

XP VM for Rika

Post by Garrison »

A quick way to get up and running with an XP VM is to look at Oracle Virtual Box. They have some "canned" XP machines you can download and use. All of it is free like VMware. If you want to use VMware, there is a free converter so you can suck in an existing XP machine you may have and run it as a VM on your newer system. The VMware player and converter are also free.
nglitz

Re: RIKA fails to install on Win7-x64

Post by nglitz »

I bought a Windows 7 laptop to run my Rika on. First off, I had to upgrade to Windows 7 professional or higher. $20 from a reseller got me a key that worked on www.windowsanytime.com . Then download VM for free. Then download XP mode to run inside windows VM. It's like having an XP machine in a window on Windows 7. Now the Rika software runs (yippee!!) but it can't find the hardware (Boo!!). I got a Keystone USB adapter and loaded its driver. Made sure it was "attached". Hooked everything up and it still can't "see" the hardware.

Any further insight would be appreciated.
Norm
in beautiful, gun friendly New Jersey
bummer7

Post by bummer7 »

Norm,
Which com (serial) port did you map the Keyspan adapter to?
-s
John Marchant

Post by John Marchant »

From memory, the Rika software does not always recognise or give you the option to select the higher port numbers, so you might have to do a little careful re-allocation of the port numbers.
Be mindful that the software was developed many years ago for machines with only 4 or 5 ports, unlike the modern laptops.
nglitz

Post by nglitz »

bummer7 wrote:Norm,
Which com (serial) port did you map the Keyspan adapter to?
-s
I've tried a couple.
Norm
nglitz

Post by nglitz »

Success!

Got to play last night after a long day of annual inventory and then our Jr. air pistol program. COM1 was the key, but it wasn't easy getting there. Even though I had the Keyspan software loaded on the Win7 part of the machine and mapped to COM1, the VM XP Mode refused to "attach" it. It saw the adapter, but wouldn't load the driver.

After a lot of small variations, I went to the Keyspan website and (in the VM screen) downloaded that driver vs. the disk that came with the adapter. That did the trick, but now it's stuck on COM3, with 1 & 2 grayed out. I forced it over to COM1 and got several warnings that COM1 was already in use and horrible things would happen if I assigned the Keyspan adapter there as well. The default speeds were way over the old standards that the Rika could use. Rika wants 9600baud and the default was much higher.

That was the trick. Nothing bad happened, it worked great and Rika picked it up first try. So the software is running and it sees the hardware. I can log in and see all the saved targets, etc. that come with it. Went to bed happy. Next step is to set it up so I can point a pistol at the screen and get calibrated. Taaa Daaa!

Thanks so much to Steve, bummer7, for the help. COM1 did the trick.
Last edited by nglitz on Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Norm
bummer7

Post by bummer7 »

Norm,

Congrats on getting the Rika configured w/ your unique setup. Yes, the serial port settings is 9600 baud, No parity, 8-bit length, and 1 stop bit. The only other oddity you may run into is the interrupt or IRQ is not set at 4 for Com 1. I agree that it would be good if the Rika software recognized serials ports 3 thru 8 in addition to 1 and 2.

-Steve
nglitz

Post by nglitz »

I've been torturing myself with this machine for a couple of hours now.
I used to think I was a decent shooter! My hold looks like a bowl of well mixed spaghetti!

I can see the potential, but right now it's painful to watch.
Norm