Dry fire an IZH-35M

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
LuisA

Dry fire an IZH-35M

Post by LuisA »

A few days ago Mike Taylor said that, due to the firing pin design, some people claimed that the IZH-35 M could be dry fired without damaging the firing pin or the chamber.
Could somebody actually confirm this?
It would be great if this was accurate and I could start practising dry firing with my IZH.
Thanks!
Walter Young

Post by Walter Young »

If you would like to confirm it, you can put a piece of paper in front of the chamber to see if it marks.
nneely

IZH-35M Dry Firing

Post by nneely »

Stolen shamelessly from Pete Brunelli's IZH-35 web page (http://izh.petebrunelli.com/izh35m-comp.html). Lots of good info about the -35.

"I like the trigger and sights a lot. I'm a little concerned about its accuracy, because the bore was not oiled and feels a little bit gritty when I pull a wet patch through it. But I'll find out more about this as I shoot it more. Mine came with no instructions about dry firing...what do you do, please, to safely dry fire it?

ANS: As you can see, the design of the firing pin is that that sharp end of it never touches anything but ammo's primer (the flat part of the pin -but not the tooth! -is hitting the barrel when chamber is empty, but the pin has such a big flat area, that pressure created must be low). After I figured this out (I also do not have ANY MANUFACTURING instruction regarding dry firing, so if you have problems with this my suggestion - do not follow), I have stopped using shot cartridge (it is difficult to put it in the chamber without magazine) with wooden-head (sharpened pin inside empty cartridge) and just started dry firing with nothing in the chamber. After a year or more I could see some traces of wear-tear on the backside of the firing pin - but I do not know if this is dry-firing or the actual one - which does not effect shooting. So I do dry-fire. I know some day wear-tear will increase, as with any tool. I will not be surprised, but now - my gun is my slave, not vice versa. By the way, I did not have a single misfire with both of my IZH's (I've shot at least 15,000 rounds with one of them). I did occasionally have shot cartridge (always first in magazine) stuck inside. "
_Axel_

Re: Dry fire an IZH-35M

Post by _Axel_ »

Very old thread, but people keep asking this on various places on the internet, so I leave my two cents here:

If you cock the gun and look att the firing pin, you will see that without a cartridge in the chamber, most of the time, the firing pin does not protrude at all. And when it does it protrudes very little. The pin have very low mass, and Id say it is rather safe to dry fire this gun. However time will tell, I will dry fire mine, I´ll let you all know if I have to iron out dents in the chamber!

You can probably put a piece of tape on the back of the bolt to keep the firing pin from protruding at all. I tried to put a magnet there, but I had none that would fit.

The Izzy 35m is one of the most thought out pistols on the market imo. The only real complaint is the less than very good metallurgy. Other than that you get what you pay for. It is my understanding that Vladimir Yarygin designed this gun based on the KhR30 (that FWB based their AW93 on). The goal was to make a product they could mass produce and also export, no idea why they did not just copy the KhR´s straight off!? Yarygin is the designer of the 9mm Parabellum MP-443 service pistol that the Russian military uses now. I gleaned this info from a Polish video on this gun. I do not speak Polish, but maybe some one else does here, and can correct me if it is wrong:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTd55J5hsUA