Free Pistol - Opinion Needed

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Jim E

Free Pistol - Opinion Needed

Post by Jim E »

I am in the market for my first Free Pistol and have an opportunity to purchase a Hammerli 152 in excellent condition. Then again, many who post here advocate the Toz 35.

Any opinions (plus/minus) are welcomes.

Help me make the right choice.

Thanks in advance.

Jim Edmondson
Bill A

Post by Bill A »

I have both a TOZ and a 152. Both are great. Some shooters are uneasy about electronic triggers, which seem to be a little more apt to have problems. The cosmetics of the 152 are better. Beyond that, it's pretty much what feels good to you.

Bill Abernethy
Chris

Post by Chris »

we are full of opinions here.

Here is another one. I shoot a Toz part of it came from when I started. If you looked on the line at most any finals in the world at the time it was the only pistol you would see. This was based on polling friends that were on the US team at the time and had been traveling to world cups. From the finals in the US today there is a mix of what is on the line.

Do not go by looks because if you do you will never hack up your grip to make it fit your hand correctly. Yes the toz does not look all machined but who cares it shoots good and for me and many other people it feels good when you shoot it. The balance is nice and it points great when the grip fits you good. Given that you may not have the budget to try several pistols for a long period of time to see what really works you may just have to make a call and buy what is available that you can afford and learn to shoot it.

Most people in this sport buy a make of pistol and learn to shoot with it and continue on shooting with it because you get use to the sights and how it functions. The longer you stay with one make and or model the better because you have just taken out one of the variables of getting better, CHANGE.

I think to many people get all hung up on what is the best pistol for this and that. Morini, Hammerli, or Toz. They will all out shoot all of us. The way to close the gap is to practice and limit the changes you introduce. I have been using the same Toz since '95 The only change I have made is how the grip fits my hand and that has been constant for the last 4 to 5 years. The rest of it is keeping me from shooting a bad shot.

Since you may not have the option to buy one of each and have grips made to fit your hand for each and shoot them all for a period of time that you can tell that one stands out clearly from the other then I would just buy what you can get your hands on that is of good quality and practice, practice, practice.

Another thing you might want to consider in your search is which you can get spare parts for. I have never had a issue with my Toz except for the firing pin spring wears out over time and you need to replace it. Besides mine came with some extra parts just in case and with some looking you should be able to find the parts you need.

Good luck in your search.
toz-35

pistol

Post by toz-35 »

go with the toz-35, you will much happier
electronic trigger is not fun