air pistol velocitys

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
deliterman

air pistol velocitys

Post by deliterman »

Hi all, just thinking is there a norm for air pistol velocitys say 500 fps or some place around that? this is for 10m does it matter if your useing a Co2 or air . your info would be very helpful ,thanks.
luftskytter here:

Post by luftskytter here: »

Yes there's a normal range:

My MG1E does around 170 m/sec from the factory, that's almost 160 fps.
I've seen precision test results for some guns showing a "sweet spot" around 525 fps.

I believe some Steyr pistols are adjusted around 150 m/s or just below 500 fps. But I'm not really sure about this one. Some manufactruers will supply info about thes things.

The "Izzy" IZH46M single pump shoots slightly below 140 m/s = appr. 455 fps.

Much below that and you have trouble punching clean holes in paper.

You may notice this with the Gamo Compact which does a little below the advertised velocity of 120 m/s. That is around 390 fps, which is really about the absolute acceptable minimum.
correction

Post by correction »

Luftskytter correcting:
error at the top of the above post,

170 m/s equals about 560 fps,
rkcal22

Post by rkcal22 »

I think the competition air pistols are set to use a velocity of around 450 to 475 fps for the best accuracy in these high end pistols using the appropriate pellets.
deliterman

velocity air pistol.

Post by deliterman »

Thanks for all the info, I for got about the pellet wt.I'm thinking around 8 grms give or take some . so 500fps with 8 grs pellets would be in the ball park? again thanks.
Bob-Riegl

Post by Bob-Riegl »

Quite frankly the "izzy" rarely makes nice holes in most paper- most of those pneumatics (pumps) make targets a great feat to score properly. The paper that's used to make some targets when exposed to the ravages of normal humidity--will help this disease. Some targets (more expensive) if stored in a controlled humidity environment will produce easier holes to "read." Here on humid Lawn Gyland, the pellets from Izzy's and similar ilk AP's, make tears. This one of the basic reasons besides the pumping, that lead AP Shooters to the more sophisticated pre-charged units. "Doc"