Steyr Air Pistol Maintenance and Repair

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Ramon OP

Steyr Air Pistol Maintenance and Repair

Post by Ramon OP »

Hi all,

I've just had a bad experience with an experienced target pistol gunsmith, where after a routine checkup and "o-ring greasing" my Steyr Evo 10 has stopped working. If you are into horror movies you can see the surprise I had when I tried to use it: https://photos.app.goo.gl/BbDcDbPym27FZcoN9

I've now sent it to the official Steyr importer and this will cost €125 plus shipping , and I'm loosing at least 3 weeks training.

Are there any books / videos /resources to learn how to do maintenance and repairs of these guns? I want to at least be able to do the checkups and routine maintenance myself with certainty.

Thanks for your help with my gunsmithing question!
Ramon
jglenn

Re: Steyr Air Pistol Maintenance and Repair

Post by jglenn »

The problem in the last video is most likely a simple barrel adjustment. See you manual on the procedure
jglenn

Post by jglenn »

Also lots of YouTube videos by steyr
thirdwheel

Post by thirdwheel »

I feel your pain as I know you are focusing hard at improving and three weeks out will be so much time wasted. Because of a mechanical problem I now have a "back up" pistol, a total indulgence but I am not prepared to miss competitions because of mechanical failure. Fortunately in the UK we have a super Styer importer that will go the extra mile to sort out problems fast. Styer do have a lot of factory produced professional service videos on you tube, unlike all of the other manufactures so that is positive. Like an idiot I did not buy a Styer but I do like my Titanium and K12
Ramon OP

Post by Ramon OP »

I've watched all their videos and they are not that many. They are helpful, but they do not help to diagnose and cover too few cases.

I adjusted the cannon and even with the cannon removed the pistol kept having the same problems.
Ramon
Ramon OP

Post by Ramon OP »

I guess what I'm looking for is like the American Gunsmithing Institute courses but for compressed air competition pistols https://www.americangunsmith.com
Ramon
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

My Steyr LP10 pistol had the same problem when I overlubed the stabilizer cylinder with too much grease when storing the pistol for an extended period of time. The cocking lever would not stay down and kept coming back up each time I tried.

My solution was to remove the grip and I cleaned the excess grease that was on the stabilizer cylinder and the arc of the cocking lever with a cotton Q-Tip. Later I cocked the lever and it remained down and did not pop back up by itself. I think your pistol smith probably overlubed the pistol.
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

If Steyr offers factory tours, you should ask them if they offer hands-on airpistol repair training.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Their videos are quite good, and cover a lot of things that they presumably have found to be common problems that can be addressed without special tools.

I'm sure they offer an "armorers" course, but the demand is undoubtedly low enough that it's by special appointment. I would expect it to be costly, both for their time, and the special tools they would need to give you to make it useful.
Ramon OP

Post by Ramon OP »

Thanks to all. I will contact Steyr directly and see if they offer any courses or have unlisted manuals.
Ramon
Ramon OP

Post by Ramon OP »

Got a reply. No manuals, linked to this video as possible solution: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UO8DcjGJVbU

To service the gun it can be sent to them by post (at least within the EU) but you have to check your national legislation to make sure that it is allowed. No price given, just that they try to do as cheap as possible.
Ramon
Ramon OP

Post by Ramon OP »

I ended up writing a post about this whole ordeal: Broken Steyr Pistol Blues https://www.olympicpistol.com/broken-st ... tol-blues/
Still looking to learn how to service the pistols myself. All help is appreciated. Thanks!
Ramon
greentangerine

Post by greentangerine »

As has been already stated above, in the UK we have an approachable and dedicated importer who'll sort out technical issues himself and provides a servicing facility.

He also has a stand at the major competitions to address any problems; he was present at Cardiff for the Welsh Open last weekend.
django

Post by django »

I think you have seen barrel adjustment video on youtube
Please check oring seal inside closing tube (move back and forward when you reload) if it flat it cant make enough rension to hold cocking close even you done barrel adjusment. You can use needle to take ring out and replace with new.
PhilipM

Post by PhilipM »

For servicing Steyr airguns, check out GoedSchot.nl (https://www.goedschot.nl/). It is a small shop in the Netherlands specialized for many years in anything Steyr. I've heard a lot of good comments about its owner Hans Manders.
northpaw

Post by northpaw »

kevinweiho wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:55 am The cocking lever would not stay down and kept coming back up each time I tried.
I´m experiencing same problem, and have so for an extended period. The cocking lever feels a bit "spongy" at end of down travel, and comes to rest halfway between fully down and the "T"-position, when released.

NOTE: The problem is not caused by a mis-adjusted barrel (headspace). And not from over-lubing.

I had to remove part # 17 ,pressure spring. But then there is no dry-fire-option, of course.
I think the "cam", (aka striker-block), part # 15, could be worn or slightly bent? Maybe the resess in the striker/velocity-adjuster, where the end of the cam, part # 15, engages, could be worn.

Similar problem, anyone?
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

northpaw wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:05 am Similar problem, anyone?
Have you tried the Steyr Service Movies?

If you don't see a relevant one then just "Load More" at the bottom of the page.
KH250

Post by KH250 »

Northpaw

Try removing o-ring number 7 and see if the symptoms change. With my LP10, at one stage the bolt was sticking to the o-ring as it slid over it. It was impossible to set the correct barrel position while the bolt was sticking on the o-ring. Even with the barrel removed it took too much pressure to shut the bolt. A drop of oil on the o-ring fixed the problem.
brucef

Post by brucef »

I think it might be a worn Bolt Roller.
That is a bit more involved than just replacing o-rings.
Depending on the gun, you may have to 'crush' the old roller in order to break it to get it off.
It is in the Steyr videos as mentioned before.
Thanks Bruce
northpaw

Post by northpaw »

brucef wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:56 am a bit more involved than just replacing o-rings.
I beelive so too, now.

The stroke of the stabiliser (absorber) piston of my gun was a bit short. Removed the piston from the stabilizer today, and noticed the small o-ring, part # 70, was split. And one of the three small springs under the "plastic drag ring", part # 63,"guide ring", was missing. Btw. theese small springs have no parts number (!).

Adjusted the piston-stroke according to the Steyr instruction movie. Was surpriced by the amount of force I had to apply to loosen up the setscrew, part # 69. Two turns of the screw, and piston stroke was proper.(That was with O-ring split, and one of the small spring missing...).

As I said, the cocking lever of my gun will not stay put in down position. A "sponginess" is felt at end of down-stroke of the lever, and it will come to rest at some degress up. At discharge the lever will move another 5 to 10 degrees!
When the cam-pressure-spring, part # 17, is removed, the lever stays put, and at discharge, too.

I imagined the "sponginess" of the lever at lower posistion was caused by a too tight barrel to bolt adjustment. The barrel to bolt clearance ("headspace") is at minimum now. But by adjusting barrel forward, it turns out the "sponginess" is not influenced by "headspace".
When i adjust the barrel 1/2 forward, there is a noticable blow af air from the bolt-area at discharge. An then the the cocing lever may jump up at discharge, even with the cam-pressure spring, part # 15 removed, that is.

I bought this gun brand new from a gun shop some years ago. At the range, I noticed a puff of air at my triggerfinger at discharge. The gunshop told me that was common, nothing to worry about.

Have I simly got a bad specimen?
Anye help greatly appreciated.
Last edited by northpaw on Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:18 am, edited 2 times in total.