felt pellets (air pistol)

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
scerir

felt pellets (air pistol)

Post by scerir »

According to some people (i.e. at Pardini) when a felt pellet is fired, for cleaning reasons, some of the fibers blow back from the barrel to the "absorber". After some time the "absorber" becomes dirty and does not function properly anymore. Of course the specific "magnetic" absorber of the Pardini K12 is different from - say - the "mechanical" absorber of the Steyr EVO. I do not know whether all kinds of absorbers are affected by that problem. s.
Rover

Re: felt pellets (air pistol)

Post by Rover »

Simple fix; don't use them.
TenMetrePeter

Post by TenMetrePeter »

Rover wrote:Simple fix; don't use them.
Exactly. You cant expect anything to clean at 500 fps or more, that is assuming there is any need to clean an air pistol barrel at all
j-team

Post by j-team »

TenMetrePeter wrote:
Rover wrote:Simple fix; don't use them.
Exactly. You cant expect anything to clean at 500 fps or more, that is assuming there is any need to clean an air pistol barrel at all
If you recover a fired one you will see it must be doing something as they come out dirty. Not saying that they are doing any good but they do something!
jdomangue

Post by jdomangue »

Keep an eye on the pellet count of RWS Hobby pellets as well. Both the Basic and Hobby pellets had been out of stock for a while. The Hobby pellets are back in stock but they are now 300 count tins, not the usual 500 count like they used to be.
m1963

Post by m1963 »

A quick search does indicate that jdomangue has hit the mark with regard to Hobby pellets.

RUAG Ammotec (RWS) did hire an economist for the top job this year. Perhaps he has been working on this behind the scene... i.e., reduce quantity, increase price, increase bottom line. I wonder if these changes have also been seen in centerfire and rimfire ammunition?

https://www.ruag.com/en/about-ruag/medi ... ag-ammotec

One begins to wonder- will RWS be selling everything in 300 count tins, soon?
SamEEE

Post by SamEEE »

Don't try catch them. Felt at 350fps isn't soft, nearly blew a hole in a drying tshirt with one.
Image Image
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

Simple fix; don't use them.
I wouldn’t use them.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

I have to "mothball" over 80 air pistols for storage over the summer for the collegiate team I help coach. I fire one felt pellet soaked in air tool oil down the bores. That keeps them from rusting, and any oil film left shoots out quickly in the Fall.

I've resorted to firing them into a metal coffee can filled with scraps of bath towel. Even then, it helps to scramble the towel bits occasionally. Repeated firing in the same location WILL shoot through several layers over time, especially with the PCP pistols. We found out the hard way that the felt pellets will blow a hole in the bottom of a plastic waste basket...
-TT-

Post by -TT- »

Has anyone considered the VFG Felt cleaners? These aren't fired, they are used with a sort of threaded spindle on a standard rod. I use the .22 on my Benelli MP90S with great results. They're made in .177, example source here.

Because they're not actually fired, there won't be any fiber blowback - safer on the air pistol action?

deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

This is the product I use to clean rather than firing felt pellets. I also use the same brand for .22 and .32 s&wl.
They work great and don’t produce side effects as happens when firing felt pellets.
a10ken

Post by a10ken »

they also sell a small pocket "range kit" and they also do a course green felt for very dirty bores, sorry but no link
Mr_NOBODY

Post by Mr_NOBODY »

I was using felt pellets to clean my air rifle till something happened in the air regulator...
Rover

Post by Rover »

If you all insist on this crap, just break the end off a Q-Tip and blast away.