Walther Alu vs Carbon?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
jerber

Walther Alu vs Carbon?

Post by jerber »

What are the differences between the two?
Is it just the weight?
The carbon is a little lighter
But other than that,is everything else the same?
For those of you who tried both which one do you prefer?
Thanks Jerry
David M

Re: Walther Alu vs Carbon?

Post by David M »

not only is the carbon lighter but the weight is further aft.
i have the long carbon fitted with the short tank.
it balances back on the trigger.
Europa

Post by Europa »

I have the long carbon with a standard tank. Attach the pair of weights (supplied) to the business end for a beautifully balanced air pistol. Also, the grip can be adjusted better than most other brands; mine is at an extreme angle. Might be just me, but allow for lots of experimentation in order to set a trigger weight which will hold consistently; even though mine's a 2015 version with all the mechanism updates.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

not only is the carbon lighter but the weight is further aft.
i have the long carbon fitted with the short tank.
it balances back on the trigger.
Probably the ultimate weight/balance outfit. I had an LP400 alu compact which was fine, however after putting my compact cylinder on a friends long carbon I was sold.
Many years back I had FWB P34 and then P40 longs with compact cylinders. The Walther LP400 Carbon long in this setup is MUCH better.
jerber

Post by jerber »

Thanks guys!
I have been thinking of getting a Walther lp
Seems like both model are the same price
But i think I might wait for a used one
Jerry
Scrench

Post by Scrench »

I just sold my Steyr LP10 to re-buy (boy was I lucky!) the Walther LP400 I sold. For me, no comparison. The design of the Steyr feels like ancient history, like a Baikal IZH. The Walther is much quieter for backyard shooting, the loading port is easier, faster and a better design, the longer sight radius makes it more accurate, it shoots with a personality, not like a dead brick. It's much lighter and feels better balanced to begin with. All my opinion only. Take a look at the new FWB PX8, you'll find a lot of what the Walther started for a new generation of air pistols.
Scrench

Post by Scrench »

Sorry Jerry, I really don't know squat about the FWB other than what I read on the internet because a friend of mine just bought one. I have absolutely zero interest in FWB, because my Walther is fabulous. I only noticed that the FWB design sounds a lot like what Walther did.
Europa

Post by Europa »

I can understand the equal pistol weight logic for those who shoot both FP and AP. Now that FP is being relegated to museums, does this mean that more shooters are likely to start experimenting with lighter air pistols like the LP400 Carbon?
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

More likely than not.

An international level shooter mentioned to me the other day of the recent shortage of top end AP.
This "could" indicate movement to AP from FP. Probably too early to be certain, but interesting to keep an eye on.

Mind you....keep an eye out for Laser.
j-team

Post by j-team »

deadeyedick wrote:
Mind you....keep an eye out for Laser.
Only if you want to burn your retina!
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

Not nice.... infinitely better than had it had been .177 " ....
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (7.11 KiB) Viewed 1939 times
Scrench

Post by Scrench »

I am a big proponent of lighter air pistols with a long sight radius, and convinced the first perfect score will be shot with one under 900 grams. Easy to prove. Go to your kitchen, find a can that weighs 800-1000 grams. Hold it as though it were a pistol and point it at an object as a target, dead still, for as long as you can. Put it down, rest a bit, then grab a can that weighs half that and do it again. Note how much longer you are able to hold it on target. Same with a lighter AP. You get a much longer window of time to line the shot up properly before fatigue sets in. Simple physics. The trick is getting the balance right on a lighter pistol and knowing that any aberrant movements you make are going to be magnified, so you have to be super smooth in everything you do. I don't buy the whole "I need the extra weight to keep my gun still" nonsense. If the gun wavers, something is wrong with your grip.
And if you really want the extreme example, after you're done with the cans, try just your finger. You could be a World Champion if your gun weighed as much as your hand. Walther, and now FWB, have been listening.

And sorry to the Roverites, but as much as I love all 7 of my IZH 46's and 46M's, Pardini K58, and FWB 100, their weight prevents me from holding them on target anywhere near as long as my sub-900 gram pcp's (2 Steyr LP10's, Walther LP400 Carbon, Air Arms Alfa Proj). Sure, you can work out until you can hoist an anchor, but who wants to spend time doing that? Being relaxed and comfortable is a big part of shooting well. All of this is my opinion only, and that, and a penny, won't even buy a piece of bubble gum anymore.

If you go Walther, go Carbon. You can always add weight, but not subtract it.
nglitz

Post by nglitz »

The first time I saw an LP400 with the silver CF barrel wrap, I was sold. An air pistol with bling!

I still don't shoot it as well as my IZH-46, but I'm getting there.
Norm
in beautiful, gun friendly New Jersey
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

Scrench wrote:Sure, you can work out until you can hoist an anchor, but who wants to spend time doing that?
Then you don’t believe the exercise motto of no pain, no gain? A lighter pistol won’t guarantee you’ll always be scoring ten’s.

I do believe with proper training, a person will develop the necessary endurance and stamina to hold a heavier pistol for a longer period of time.
Scrench

Post by Scrench »

Doesn't matter. That person who works out and can hold a heavy pistol for a long time can also hold a lighter pistol much longer. It's all about the window of time to accurately shoot in. The accepted norm at the moment is 5-7 seconds, if you haven't fired by then, put it down. A lighter pistol can increase that window (especially for someone who is trained and works out) to probably 6-10 seconds at least, but lets go with a conservative figure of an extra 2 seconds. During an entire 60 shot match, that's 2 extra MINUTES a good shooter has to score well. Now lets go back to the accepted 6 second window. 6 seconds for 60 shots is 360 seconds, so in an entire match you are only actually shooting for a total of 6 minutes. The extra 2 minutes would give you 33.333% more time to shoot. That's HUGE! And if you went with what I think is a more realistic window, 4 extra seconds, that's 66.666% more time. Think that would make a difference in your score? Until recently, the sport has had nothing but heavy pistols, so everyone used what was available. I think the new, lighter pistols are going to change everything. Exciting times coming up to see who will be the first real pro to go light (and dominate).

The weight doesn't guarantee anything, you still have to know how to shoot. It's just easier with a light pistol, and not such a turn-off to newbies like when they pick up a Baikal 46M and give you the ol' "OMG this thing is heavy!"

When I'm training for the Senior Olympics in swimming and road bike racing, you better believe there is a LOT of pain!