Current theory on alignment of barrel with arm?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Houngan

Current theory on alignment of barrel with arm?

Post by Houngan »

I've been shooting for about 6 weeks (I practiced for several months years ago, have 3 matches under my belt from that time) and have been experimenting heavily. From a 70s book, I'm trying aligning the barrel with my forearm while letting the gun dangle freely, no wrist tension, elbow somewhat extended. Is this a currently recommended practice? It does seem to let me put less strength into the grip and still get a clean trigger pull.
Chia

Re: Current theory on alignment of barrel with arm?

Post by Chia »

You're not going to like my answer, but here it is anyway:

The current theory on alignment is the one that works for you, consistently, over 60 shots, during competition stress.

If you're interested in current techniques, this is the cheapest source for it (free). If you want a more complete examination, you will probably have to pony up the money to get the MEC Olympic Pistol shooting book. Even though it's from 2004 (before the FP removal and right after the RF rules changes), it's about as close to modern as we can get here in America without a coach. The price makes me wince a bit, but I found it worth the price of admission.

But honestly, it's a book. It'll give your body some guidelines, but you'll have to learn for yourself what works and what doesn't for you. Just make sure you know why you're doing something and what positives and negatives it has on your technique.

Also, watch a view world cup final videos. Look at the alignments of the shooters (don't necessarily copy them, just to see the variations of technique based on body type and individual preference). The 2015 Munich AP World Cup has some great shots of the wrists and arm positions of the athletes. I personally watch Uros Kacavenda from Croatia, as he has a similar body type to me. I'm not looking to copy him, just seeing what his style is.
hundert

Post by hundert »

there's nothing in that mec olympic shooting book, I have it, I don't recommend it, unless you do rapid fire or you don't care about money. But watching athletes is indeed one of the best things to do.

is that the Yuriev 70s book you're talking about? If yes what page?
Chia

Post by Chia »

hundert wrote:there's nothing in that mec olympic shooting book, I have it, I don't recommend it, unless you do rapid fire or you don't care about money. But watching athletes is indeed one of the best things to do.

I like the MEC book to describe the basics of a shot process, but I am very much less experienced than Hundert is and I am more book-oriented than most people here. I think that it's a solid "I have no freakin' idea what is going on how do I even start practicing" book, but if I were in Hougan's shoes, I'd give Hundert's opinion more consideration than mine. Regardless, figure out the way you learn best and cater to it. Good luck!
Houngan

Post by Houngan »

hundert wrote:there's nothing in that mec olympic shooting book, I have it, I don't recommend it, unless you do rapid fire or you don't care about money. But watching athletes is indeed one of the best things to do.

Huh, I looked it up and it's actually from the 90s, Paul Leatherdale. I guess the British clothing looked a bit 70s to me. :-)

https://www.amazon.com/Successful-Pisto ... 1852238836
Rover

Post by Rover »

It can't work without stressful/painful position. Assuming you're right-handed, the pistol grip needs to be offset to the left, but not a lot.
Houngan

Post by Houngan »

Rover wrote:It can't work without stressful/painful position. Assuming you're right-handed, the pistol grip needs to be offset to the left, but not a lot.
Interesting, I'm actually a lefty and was bringing it in from the left. Further to the right would make the pistol ungrippable due to the palm peak.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Assuming you're left-handed, the REAR of the pistol grip needs to be offset to the right, but not a lot.
Houngan

Post by Houngan »

Rover wrote:Assuming you're left-handed, the REAR of the pistol grip needs to be offset to the right, but not a lot.
Okay, I think we're on the same page then. I was talking about the muzzle, not the rear. Though I did find a grip that allowed the muzzle to rest slightly closed (we'll say that instead of directions for clarity, closed being "towards the body") that had some interesting feel to it.