Yet another "which pistol" thread

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
ihasagun

Yet another "which pistol" thread

Post by ihasagun »

I want to buy an air pistol for target shooting on my indoor 10 meter range. I have the Triumph and the IZH 46M. I never have managed to get the grip modified correctly on the IZH, and maybe that's why I'm shooting better with the Triumph. But it really seems to me like the Triumph is balanced in a more forgiving way. I'd like to move up to something with an adjustable grip, like on the LP series, and that is extremely forgiving. So I'm looking for suggestions there.

Also, I've never owned a fill type pistol because I live more than an hour from anyplace where I can buy a fill. Do these pistols typically come with all the fittings or even hoses needed for use with appropriate tanks? What's the best way to deal with the inconvenience of purchasing fills?
SamEEE

Re: Yet another "which pistol" thread

Post by SamEEE »

Hi,

The deal is that they come with the DIN232 ISO adapter for European/civilised-metric-world style dive bottles. They need a yoke adapter to fit the DIN232 fitting.

A tank used by a single person should last quite a long time. Maybe 3-6 months, so that's hardly a bother. Depending on your laws the may need to be tested and certified periodically, but that's hardly a big deal either....
...especially if as a consequence of the testing you don't end up exploding yourself.

Advantages of SCUBA vs. hand pumps include:
a) Less physical activity
b) Clean air (less abrasion of parts)
c) Dry air (less corrosion of parts)

You can also get closer fitting grips from Rink. You can deal with them directly, if you want to pimp your IZH-46M
https://www.formgriffe.de/ Even so it is probably worth seeking out an expert to help you there to get the last 20-30% of the fit right. It is worth noting that it will always be a bit wrong, and that's okay.

As for what Pistol. Get a Morini 162EI, all others pale in comparison.
You can catch my review here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRHL04OE6vw

Chur.
Image Image
ihasagun

Post by ihasagun »

Thanks!

I may try the rink grip first. I see there is an option for 0 degree or 7 degree angle. I'm not sure if that is rake or side angle. I've been unable to modify my grip to get enough rake even with hours of work, so I I'm thinking I need as much rake as possible. Any advice in angle choice would be appreciated.

Regarding the Morini 162ei, would the short version be more forgiving?
SamEEE

Post by SamEEE »

Hi again,

Some good questions. I will answer as best I can. This refers to palm angle. If you shoot over your shoulder, or close to then 0 is better. The more square you are to the target then the more palm angle you want.

The short version has the same sight radius as the standard model. So no gain or loss over the standard model there. In my view it is harder to shoot as there is less inertia up front so easier to throw a shot.

You can make the sight radius shorter by moving the front sight back in the holder to start off with.

I shoot a long barrel model and got the extended short version sight so I ended up with a bit more sight radius (about the same as my TOZ-35) because I am that good.

'Forgiving' is a bit of a misnomer: I believe to be a psychological result of something you are used to.
Image Image
Rover

Post by Rover »

Forget buying a new pistol or Rink grips.

If your current grips don't fit, then new ones may not either.

Do a search; there is lots of info on grip fitting on here. Read, learn, fix.
ihasagun

Post by ihasagun »

Rover wrote:Forget buying a new pistol or Rink grips.

If your current grips don't fit, then new ones may not either.

Do a search; there is lots of info on grip fitting on here. Read, learn, fix.
Well, what do you know. The prospect of getting a new grip gave me the confidence to take another shot at the grip with my dremel tool, because I felt like I could take it down to bare metal if needed. So that's exactly what I did. I took it down to bare metal in the top rear and bottom front, then smoothed out the lines. It's almost perfect now. Maybe a little too much rake, if anything, which is easily fixed with water based filler if I'm not mistaken. And it only took a few minutes. I guess that's what confidence will do for you.
hundert

Post by hundert »

trust me, it's not the grip... I even shot without the grip lol

by the way, the grips on steyr are crap, like a soap bar crap, too round, they rotate inside your palm.

If you're a girl, the izh could be too heavy for you though
TenMetrePeter

Post by TenMetrePeter »

The 7 degree skew grip was designed for right handed shooting with left eye aiming.

I had a FWB p34 pistol and a 7 litre 232bar scuba tank. 50 shots a week (yes I know what youre thinking!) took 2 years to drop from 232 bar to 200 at which point I didnt worry about driving to a dive shop, though you may not get same day fill. You can pro-rate from that. 500 shots a week would be 2-3 months.
ihasagun

Post by ihasagun »

hundert wrote:trust me, it's not the grip... I even shot without the grip lol

by the way, the grips on steyr are crap, like a soap bar crap, too round, they rotate inside your palm.

If you're a girl, the izh could be too heavy for you though
Regarding weight, are all of the higher end pistols more likely to be light enough or are there a few in particular that a girl should consider?
TenMetrePeter

Post by TenMetrePeter »

I cant imagine they are heavier than that agricultural design Izzy. Our top females all use top end pistols. As the Izzy is 1.3kg thats the same weight range. 1.5kg is ISSF max.
Mtl_Biker

Post by Mtl_Biker »

It seems in ISSF competitions there are more Steyr pistols than any other brand.

I disagree with an earlier comment that Steyr grips are crap. There are something like 11 different grip options to choose from. And the range of adjustments (especially on the new EVO-10) are really very good. That's not to say that customization won't be necessary, but it certainly isn't certain that it would be.

I favor mechanical triggers simply because I'm afraid of obsolescence... circuit boards, batteries, etc. Mechanical triggers last for DECADES.

I bought a Steyr EVO-10 compact as my first match pistol. It was strongly recommended to me that the Compact would be easier to master than the regular length and at least on the Steyr, the sight line IS different (shorter on the compact). The suggestion was that only once I was consistently shooting about 530 or higher (out of 600) that should I even consider the regular length. And I can't confirm this as fact, but I was told that there are competitors at the highest level using compact versions of these pistols very successfully.

Is there a shooting club in your area where you might be able to hold and try different makes and models of pistol? (You might add your location info to your profile here.) To choose the correct grip for my Steyr EVO-10, I found a sizing guide (think it was on the Steyr site) that showed me how to measure my hand to make the best choice. And then the adjustments on the grip allow for fine-tuning it. I have not yet (20,000+ shots) felt the need to start filing or filling the grip, it fits me so well.

Cheers!
AA S510 Xtra FAC Ultimate Sporter *CARBINE* .22
CZ200S "Green" .177
Feinwerkbau 800 Evolution Top
AA S400 MPR FT .177
Steyr EVO 10
Weihrauch HW50S .22
hundert

Post by hundert »

Steyr LP10 (from 2008) was 1020g
Steyr LP10e was around 1030g
Steyr LP1 was around 970g
Morini 162 was around 1050g

Also, depending on the wood density and grip size the difference could be dramatic. I don't have all numbers in my head

I prefer the weight to be over 1050g but below 1100, that's where the pistol is the steadiest without being too heavy.

Too light is not good either, every tiny jerk amplifies like crazy, I'd say keep it above 950g. I've read izh weighs over 1.2kg, it'd be nice if someone could weigh it.

Many use the short version of Morini in competition. But no, Steyr grips are crap. In competition when you're under stress the pistol will simply slip out of your hand (never happens in training btw, but in competition you will be afraid and sweat a lot). Morini 162 grips are awesome (feels like a free pistol grip).

I don't think any female will handle a 1.3kg pistol for 40 shots. I did 1.5kg with extra weights in training, but I'm a guy and it was exhausting.

I'd get the one with 7 degrees (it moves the front sight to the right), but I wouldn't buy rink for air pistol, only for sports pistol.
ihasagun

Post by ihasagun »

Thanks for all of the info. I don't know of any local clubs, but there is an indoor range more than an hour from me where they have meets, and I attended one to observe, but had leave before it was over.

I saw an old thread where a female shooter was sharing her experiences and she recon dead the LP2 compact for anyone having difficulty reaching the trigger. I definitely have that problem on the IZH, and I tried to address it it by installing the trigger upgrade and turning it to almost a 45 degree angle.

Any reason to avoid the LP2 compact that I should consider? How is the Morini as far as reaching the trigger?
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

Under no circumstances turn the trigger 45 degrees and yes the LP2 would be a great pistol especially if the finger placement on the trigger is at right angles to the barrel line.
j-team

Post by j-team »

The LP2 compact is also about the lightest you can get at about 820grams.
j-team

Post by j-team »

hundert wrote:I don't think any female will handle a 1.3kg pistol for 40 shots. I did 1.5kg with extra weights in training, but I'm a guy and it was exhausting.
Really? How many years did they all shoot FWB 65s in that weight range? And GSPs in Sport pistol!
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

Really? How many years did they all shoot FWB 65s in that weight range? And GSPs in Sport pistol!
Certainly gets my respect.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

ihasagun wrote:How is the Morini as far as reaching the trigger?
The team I help coach has a number of very small women on it, and I don't recall anyone having any issues with the trigger reach on the four or five Morinis we have. Same with the Benelli Kite.

It is definitely a problem with Steyrs, at least LP10's. They may have improved this on the EVO, but I don't know for sure.
ihasagun

Post by ihasagun »

I still can't decide between the Morini and the lp2 compact. I was looking at grip size, and my hand is 9.5 cm wide, so that would match up to a large Morini grip, but puts me on the cusp between medium and large for steyr grips. If I decide to go with Steyr, should I get the medium or large grip?
therider

Post by therider »

[quote="SamEEE"

As for what Pistol. Get a Morini 162EI, all others pale in comparison.
You can catch my review here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRHL04OE6vw

Chur.[/quote]

He wants a pistol with adjustable grip....and Morini 162ei is not!

Morini 162ei forgiving?????? I love it, but certainly it is not a forgiving pistol!