compact or long LP10

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Wpvince

compact or long LP10

Post by Wpvince »

Hey guys I finally decided to buy an LP10E, but now I'm stuck on compact or long. I have a fwb 103 that I love and I'm making the leap to pcp. I shot a 537 today which I was happy with. After reading into the compact vs long it seems like the compact would be a good fit for me as I don't train a ton and am very inconsistent with how much I shoot. Sometimes I can't hold in the 9 ring and the compact may make it seem that I am. However, I love my fwb and its long. So what are your opinions? Thanks
Rover

Re: compact or long LP10

Post by Rover »

I think it won't make a damned bit of difference. Buy whatever you get the cheapest.

After a little thought, I think you should forget the whole thing and keep using your 103.
Last edited by Rover on Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

I think it won't make a damned bit of difference. Buy whatever you get the cheapest.

Probably true....you could get the long LP 10 and exchange one of the long cylinders for a short. This removes some of the front heaviness.
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

Are you shooting your 103 with the cocking lever on or off? Without the lever, it weighs about the same as the LP10E.

I have read somewhere that the compact is “less forgiving”, it is easier to obtain higher scores with the standard long version.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

I have read somewhere that the compact is “less forgiving”, it is easier to obtain higher scores with the standard long version.
I think it is the other way around.
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

deadeyedick wrote:
I think it is the other way around.
What I meant on "less forgiving" with the compact version is due to the shorter sight radius, even the slightest error on focusing the sights can throw off a perfect ten into a nine. The compact may have an advantage of a shorter "lock time" than the long version, but the muzzle velocities on both versions are very similar.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

Still not right Kev. The shorter sight radius makes the compact "more forgiving" than in the long version as a result of the shorter sight radius....the closer the front and rear sights are the more their alignment can be controlled.
There is a reason Pilkguns will not sell a long version to anyone that has not shot something like 550 or 555 in competition during the last twelve months, and the longer sight radius is one of the main reasons. It is more difficult fo less experienced shooters to align and control.
Last edited by deadeyedick on Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

deadeyedick wrote:Still not right Kev. The shorter sight radius makes the compact "more forgiving" than in the long version as a result of the shorter sight radius....the closer the front and rear sights are the more their alignment can be controlled.
I thought it was the further apart the sights are the better you are able to see misalignment and movement. Many people say that a pistol with a longer sight radius is more inherently accurate than a shorter sight radius.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

The only thing you will see with the long is a greater arc of movement which is much harder to control.

Life has shown me that "many people" don't have a clue Kev. Our Club has at least 90 experts with differing opinions.

As far as long barrels being more accurate than short. Look at test targets from new air pistols and you will see that the long barrel and short both produce one hole results.
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

I know what these pistols are capable of and those amazing one hole groups are produced with a clamped pistol shot within 10 meters.

What REALLY matters is when they’re actually used by people. If the short version is “more forgiving” and easier to control over the long barrel, why don’t the experienced or elite shooters favor the compact version?
Last edited by kevinweiho on Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

kevinweiho wrote:What REALLY matters is when they’re actually used by people. If the short version is “more forgiving” and easier to control over the long barrel, why don’t the experienced or elite shooters favor the short version?
Because they are fit enough, with enough muscle tone, to be able to hold the gone steadier than mere mortals can. They can therefore get the benefit, without the disadvantage, of a longer sight radius further from the eye.
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

David Levene wrote:
kevinweiho wrote:What REALLY matters is when they’re actually used by people. If the short version is “more forgiving” and easier to control over the long barrel, why don’t the experienced or elite shooters favor the short version?
Because they are fit enough, with enough muscle tone, to be able to hold the gone steadier than mere mortals can. They can therefore get the benefit, without the disadvantage, of a longer sight radius further from the eye.
So, the best of both worlds for us "mortals" would be the long version with a short cylinder, or until the most of us gets fit enough...LOL
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

kevinweiho wrote:
David Levene wrote:
So, the best of both worlds for us "mortals" would be the long version with a short cylinder, or until the most of us gets fit enough...LOL
No, mortals would probably be able to take advantage of less apparent wobble given by a shorter sight radius.

If you can hold the sights steady with the front sight locked in the centre of the rear sight notch then you can probably handle the longer sight radius. If we are honest I doubt whether most sub-elite shooters can.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

No, mortals would probably be able to take advantage of less apparent wobble given by a shorter sight radius.
Thank you David.
David M

Post by David M »

The slightly shorter sight radius just means that the foresight does not dance as much under pressure.
The big difference is in the weight and balance of each.
The long barrel is more nose heavy and this weight will hold the barrel better against movement of trigger release.
But the cost is a larger hold wobble at a lower slower frequency as you try to hold that weight.
With the larger movement you tend to shoot around the edge of the ten ring with poor shots out on the
edge of the nine ring.

The shorter lighter pistol has smaller tighter wobble at a higher speed of movement, quicker corrections.
This will help bring 9.8 and 9.9's into the 10 ring, but a poor shot will end up out in the 7 or 8 ring.

Having shot the two side by side for a long time, I ended up with a long barrel light pistol with a short
tank fitted to get the best of both worlds.
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

In my personal experience, and to wrap things up, if you're a newbie who has NEVER shot a long barreled pistol before, the compact/short is the way to go.

I started off my first tier airpistols with a FWB 80, then a 103 and a P34 short, and now my current pistol is the LP10. I concur with what David M. had mentioned.
DFWdude

Post by DFWdude »

Keep in mind... The LP10 has three positions for mounting the front sight. If holding it at full sight radius is difficult, you can always move the sight to the rear-most location (closest to the breech), which should approximate the sight radius of the compact model. Move the sight further out as you get used to it.

Below is about the longest sight radius you will ever see on a 10m air pistol (390mm, or 25mm longer that the LP10 Long). It's a diagonal, sliding-rub fit within the ISSF control box, and the sight post is nearly at the end of the flip compensator. Yes it is a challenge to hold steady... And yes, the shorter cylinders help with the balance.
Attachments
Steyr3.jpg
Last edited by DFWdude on Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wpvince

Post by Wpvince »

Thanks for all the info guys. I went with the compact but I'm second guessing my decision. I haven't received the gun yet so idk. I can hold my 103 almost rock steady with the cocking lever on and I've been shooting 550 on average lately mind you in my basement alone not in competition. I borrowed my dads lp10 today for the first time and I did notice some wobble on the front sight. I haven't tried moving the front sight forward but that's an interesting idea. I guess I just have to shoot both. I just don't want to be left wishing I had bought the long version. Thanks again
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

Wpvince wrote:I can hold my 103 almost rock steady with the cocking lever on and I've been shooting 550 on average lately mind you in my basement alone not in competition. I borrowed my dads lp10 today for the first time and I did notice some wobble on the front sight.
The 103 and the LP10's total length are practically the same. If you can have an almost rock steady hold on the FWB and didn't notice the wobbling, then the extra weight of the cocking lever is a plus.

Did you try using the barrel weights on the barrel shrould of the LP10 to see if it helps to control the wobble?
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

I can hold my 103 almost rock steady with the cocking lever on and I've been shooting 550 on average lately mind you in my basement alone not in competition. I borrowed my dads lp10 today for the first time and I did notice some wobble on the front sight

statement........"flip a coin"

p.s. For a variant of this scroll up the page and look at the second response.
Last edited by deadeyedick on Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:09 pm, edited 5 times in total.