Steyer or morini and tank or compressor

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Wpvince

Steyer or morini and tank or compressor

Post by Wpvince »

Kind of a new shooter here. Have had ssp pistols like the fwb 65, 100, 102, 103. Now I'm looking to make the switch to pcp. I can't make the choice between the steyer lp 10 and the morini cm162e. Also, should I just get a tank or up the ante and buy the compressor. Appreciate the input. Thanks Wyatt
renzo

Re: Steyer or morini and tank or compressor

Post by renzo »

Your choice between the Steyr or the Morini is up to you entirely, both are world-class pistols and will surely outshoot you.

But they have different characteristics and behavior, and you should (if possible) try both to see which suits you better.

Regarding the issue "tank vs. compressor", the cost involved in each option isn't even near the other. I'd suggest going for the tank and spend the money in pellets and training.

But beware!

Any moment Rover will make his appearance and you'll be told very nasty things for even THINKING about going PCP...........
nglitz

Post by nglitz »

SCUBA tank. You'll likely fill it once or twice a year.

Recommend buying a used tank from a dive shop. That way it will come with all inspections (hydro and borescope) done and most likely filled. Buy a used one from an individual and you will likely need the inspections done soon.
Norm
in beautiful, gun friendly New Jersey
william

Post by william »

Wpvince wrote:Kind of a new shooter here. Have had ssp pistols like the fwb 65, 100, 102, 103. Now I'm looking to make the switch to pcp. I can't make the choice between the steyer lp 10 and the morini cm162e. Also, should I just get a tank or up the ante and buy the compressor. Appreciate the input. Thanks Wyatt
Just curious: How does a "kind of new shooter" rule out Pardini, FWB, (dare I say it) Walther, or Benelli? All with flawless accuracy differing only in their ergonomics about which nobody else's preference matters.

I certainly hope it isn't all about so-and-so winning a World Cup match with an XYZ air pistol.
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

william wrote:
Wpvince wrote:Kind of a new shooter here. Have had ssp pistols like the fwb 65, 100, 102, 103. Now I'm looking to make the switch to pcp. I can't make the choice between the steyer lp 10 and the morini cm162e. Also, should I just get a tank or up the ante and buy the compressor. Appreciate the input. Thanks Wyatt
Just curious: How does a "kind of new shooter" rule out Pardini, FWB, (dare I say it) Walther, or Benelli? All with flawless accuracy differing only in their ergonomics about which nobody else's preference matters.

I certainly hope it isn't all about so-and-so winning a World Cup match with an XYZ air pistol.
I guess he’s influenced that both Steyr and Morini PCP pistols have won more medals than all of their competitors combined… Most shooters praise that the Morini has the best electronic trigger available, however, lacks the adjustable grip that the LP10 has.

I chose the LP10 because it has the best of both worlds, a very good trigger and grip adjustability. You can’t go wrong with either two, but it would be best to try them out and then you’ll know which one is for you.

Buying a tank is a better option; it’s more economical and would be easier for you to sell in case you decide to quit the sport.
Wpvince

Post by Wpvince »

In a perfect world id love to try them all but I don't think there is anywhere in NJ. I'm going to call some local clubs etc to see if anyone owns any of them. I am influenced by all the medals that the steyer and Morini have won but I'm open to anything. I was a big fwb guy but I got turned off by my aw93. The accuracy isn't what I was expecting. Thanks for all your input. Anybody out there from northern NJ?
william

Post by william »

Wpvince wrote:In a perfect world id love to try them all but I don't think there is anywhere in NJ. I'm going to call some local clubs etc to see if anyone owns any of them. I am influenced by all the medals that the steyer and Morini have won but I'm open to anything. I was a big fwb guy but I got turned off by my aw93. The accuracy isn't what I was expecting. Thanks for all your input. Anybody out there from northern NJ?
HUH? The AW93 didn't have the accuracy you expected? The trouble, dear Brutus, is not in your pistol.... I suggest you go ahead and do what you know you should - try as many of them as you possibly can - and then make something resembling an informed decision.

As to medal count, what pistol an Olympian shoots is as meaningless to us mere mortals as what racket Novak Djokovic smacks balls with.
dulcmr-man

Post by dulcmr-man »

SCUBA tanks are much less expensive than a compressor. The trade off is that they are heavy and that they are rated at 3000 psi, the same as your pistol. You get a full charge on the first fill, then somewhat less on each subsequent fill. You may also want to consider a carbon fiber tank. The cost is between a standard tank and a compressor. The up-side is that they tend to hold significantly more air than a standard aluminum/steel tank, so you get many more 3000 psi fills from such a tank. See Air Tanks For sale at http://www.airtanksforsale.com/. I own the "Great White", the largest he offers, but other, less expensive, models are available. I've been happy with mine and Mr. Brancato is easy to work with and very responsive.

Dennis C
Palmdale, CA
Wpvince

Post by Wpvince »

How would I go about trying them all?
dulcmr-man

Post by dulcmr-man »

All of Joe's carbon fiber tanks are essentially the same except for capacity, and are used exactly as are standard SCUBA tanks EXCEPT that they are filled to 4500 PSI. Therefore, one must use a regulator or exercise EXTREME CAUTION when charging a tank to 3000 psi. If you have ever used a standard SCUBA tank, then you already know how to use a carbon fiber tank. Simply decide which capacity and price suit your needs and proceed from there.

Dennis C
Palmdale, CA
wasatch

Post by wasatch »

dulcmr-man wrote:Therefore, one must use a regulator or exercise EXTREME CAUTION when charging a tank to 3000 psi.
A regulator on the tank isn't necessary. There is a knob that controls flow rate & thus fill rate and a nice big gauge on the bottle indicating line pressure. I'd simply say be attentive. Fill to 200 bar and as the cylinder cools the pressure will go down a bit. Then top it off. If you screw up and overfill open the bleed valve on the tank.

If you're getting a 4500 psi tank the next question is where will you get it filled. Fire stations are a good place to check cause they use 4500 psi carbon SCBA bottles too.

Otherwise, if the only PCP cylinders you have to fill are the small 200 bar AP cylinders skip the tank and just get a HP floor pump. The Hill brand is reliable. Get a desiccant filter also.
dulcmr-man

Post by dulcmr-man »

I didn't mean to imply that a regulator was required, but rather an option. I do not use a regulator and simply crack the main tank valve very slightly, and SLLOOWWWLY fill the pistol tank while closely watching the gauges to ensure I don't overfill the pistol. I get my tank filled to 4500 PSI for $5 at Sport Chalet, a local sporting goods store. This chain is found in California, Nevada, and Arizona. As previously stated, local fire stations, or other places that fill such breathing apparatus may also be able to help.

Dennis C
Palmdale, CA
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

I have a Morini, and a Steyr LP50. My wife also has an LP50. I keep all three supplied with air using a Hill pump. It's small, safe, provides a bit of exercise, and doesn't require hydrotesting or going back & forth to a shop to get filled. I think it costs about as much as a new tank, and is WAY cheaper than a compressor.
JD Mahan

Post by JD Mahan »

Gwhite:

Couple of questions (hope it's not too much of a thread hijack)

How does the accuracy of the lp50 compare to your morini?

And how many pumps, or how long, does it take per fill?

Thanks
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

The LP50 is functionally as accurate as the Morini, by which I mean it will shoot 10's all day when I do my part. I have the heavy trigger and a red dot for NRA bullseye practice. I frequently shoot strings every bit as good as what I shoot with the Morini. If I don't screw up, I average 93 or 94 slow fire. I've never felt the accuracy of the pistol was affecting my scores in any way.

As for pumping, it depends on where you start. I get about 5 bar per pump stroke up until it's ~ 150 bar, when it begins to slow down. That's on a long cylinder. I usually run the cylinders down to the yellow (~ 80 bar), and then fill. It's a bit of work, and I typically do it in a couple of short sessions while I clean up my shop/range. Just remember to do it AFTER you shoot.
JD Mahan

Post by JD Mahan »

Thanks - I appreciate the response.
More data points for me to consider.
william

Post by william »

Doug, you're a better man than I am. Not that the physical exertion of pumping up a cylinder is so much; it's more what feels like a total brain and time kill. Pausing after not all that many pump-strokes to let the pump cool used to drive me mad. Maybe I let it cool down too much, but the process from 70-80 bar to 200 used to destroy about 45 minutes of my life. And I always suspected that those little metal beads at the base weren't delivering air as dry as what's had at a dive shop.

Cost really shouldn't be a part of the equation - calculate what a $150 (if you buy it new) tank really costs over 20 years or more of shooting - plus the required hydro after 5 years; if you're at all serious about shooting your out of pocket expense will be below what you pay for pellets. As for the inconvenience of having to drag your tank to a dive shop (twice a year at most), come on, really? Combine it with some other business you have to do. The shop I use is about a mile from a terrific Asian grocery where I get ingredients I'll use until my next visit (try to get garam masala, real soy sauce or pita that doesn't taste like "bread" at the supermarket). I haven't regretted for one second going the SCUBA route.

The only reason Rover hasn't converted to PCP is that he hasn't found a dive shop near enough to a store that stocks 400 kinds of beer.
Wpvince

Post by Wpvince »

Gwhite why the lp 50 vs the lp10. Because of the 5 shot mag?
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Wpvince wrote:Gwhite why the lp 50 vs the lp10. Because of the 5 shot mag?
Whilst the LP50, and the older LP5, are as accurate as any top line air pistol, their worse trigger means that they are harder to shoot consistently well.

Accuracy and ease of shooting should not be confused with each other.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Wpvince wrote:Gwhite why the lp 50 vs the lp10. Because of the 5 shot mag?
I use it to practice sustained fire for NRA "bullseye" competiton (similar to ISSF Standard Pistol)

I have a Morini CM 162EI to shoot 10M air pistol competition.