AIMING FOR 10 METER PISTOL

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
darticus

AIMING FOR 10 METER PISTOL

Post by darticus »

Is the normal aim through the site to low 6 o'clock? Is it normal to be aiming low around 3 ring at 6 o'clock on the target? Just wondering if this is too low? Thanks Ron
Attachments
20140415_2.JPG
CraigB5940

Re: AIMING FOR 10 METER PISTOL

Post by CraigB5940 »

Most literature I have come across says most folks use about the 5 ring, for me I end up closer to the 4 ring on top of my front sight . The other consideration is that it can be the same spacing down below the 7 ring (this is the bottom of black bull) as the amount of white space between one side of your rear sight notch and the front sight post, this is often about the 5 ring.
Craig B
Rover

Post by Rover »

Just to confuse things further, how about the same amount of white showing beneath the bull as is showing on either side of the front sight through the rear notch.
dschaller

Post by dschaller »

darticus wrote:Is the normal aim through the site to low 6 o'clock? Is it normal to be aiming low around 3 ring at 6 o'clock on the target? Just wondering if this is too low? Thanks Ron
I aim about half way from the bottom of the black to the bottom of the target, so you are not far from that. If you are shooting the groups posted, I would say it works for you. No need to change to what someone else says......
darticus

Post by darticus »

Thanks all just thought maybe I should move to about 5 ring and reset my sight. Ron
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Rover wrote:Just to confuse things further, how about the same amount of white showing beneath the bull as is showing on either side of the front sight through the rear notch.
Like this:

This provides a symmetric visual pattern you try to maintain. If you start thinking in terms of what ring you are going to hold at, you will tend to look at the target.
darticus

Post by darticus »

Gwhite wrote:
Rover wrote:Just to confuse things further, how about the same amount of white showing beneath the bull as is showing on either side of the front sight through the rear notch.
Like this:

This provides a symmetric visual pattern you try to maintain. If you start thinking in terms of what ring you are going to hold at, you will tend to look at the target.
I think this is great! I'm going to see if I set reset my sight for this set up. Thanks Ron
shaky hands

Post by shaky hands »

Isn't aiming for a particular ring, or for a particular relation of the sights to the bull, defeating the purpose of sub-6 hold? Isn't the orthodox theory that you should not be too particular, aim wherever the sights stop naturally for you, and then simply adjust the sights as needed?
clint1080

Post by clint1080 »

There's some relevant info in Nygord's Notes:
http://home.comcast.net/~k2a/nygord.html
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

shaky hands wrote:Isn't aiming for a particular ring, or for a particular relation of the sights to the bull, defeating the purpose of sub-6 hold? Isn't the orthodox theory that you should not be too particular, aim wherever the sights stop naturally for you, and then simply adjust the sights as needed?
AHA!!!!!

if you 'try' to aim for a particular distance below the black, you will be looking at/focussing at the target distance.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Exactly! The nice thing about the symmetrical pattern approach is that you aren't specifically trying to align one of the three pieces with another two at a time, you are letting your brain deal with all three as a whole.

Even then, there are bits of the pattern that are more important than others. Sight alignment between front & rear is more critical than the exact distance below the black.
Gort

Post by Gort »

I couldn't agree with Gwhite more. People have harped on front sight, front sight, front sight, forever. At the expense of front, rear alignment. This may work for short range speed shooters but not for precision shooters. Alignment is paramount, on my home range I have a sign that reads: Alignment, Sub Six, Trigger Control, repeated three times. I is my mantra.
Gort
shaky hands

Post by shaky hands »

It was never "at the expense". People's harping on the front sight was exactly meant to emphasize the importance of its alignment with the rear sight. Of course simply observing the front sight per se is useless. What do you think harpers had in mind if not sight alignment?
Gort

Post by Gort »

In the disciplines such as tactical, IPSC and in popular CPL training the rear sight is virtually ignored. While it may be fine at arm length encounters, in precision shooting it's alignment, alignment, alignment. I have seen this spill over into ISSF shooting, where the focus is on the front sight only, not the alignment. I have spent 26 years as a CPL and CQC instructor, and have argued this point for years.
Gort
BobGee

Post by BobGee »

My vote is with shaky hands. Your focus is on the fronts sight, FOCUS mind, the relation with the rear notch is in your peripheral view and your area of aim is that space between the bottom of the card and the bottom of the black. The subconscious will tend to find the middle of that area without FOCUSING on it.

Oh, and Spencer, I know I need a coach.
darticus

Post by darticus »

How does your brain decide the 3 points are equal and fire? Thanks Ron
Rover

Post by Rover »

You're looking right at it...can't you tell?
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

darticus wrote:How does your brain decide the 3 points are equal and fire? Thanks Ron
If you think of it as three separate pieces to get right, you've lost the battle. You are trying to establish a visual pattern of the whole correct alignment. The brain & visual system is very good at detecting symmetry. However, it won't know what you are trying to do the first time out. You need to TRAIN your brain to seek and maintain the alignment required to create that symmetrical visual pattern. That means lots of time just staring at the sights, while you work on keeping things aligned. You may also have to play with your sight dimensions (especially the rear notch) to get something that works well for you.

Speaking of which, does anyone have a spare 4.0 mm wide Benelli MP90/95 rear sight? It's the "C" version. I just bought a used MP90S, and it looks like the US dealer doesn't have any in stock. With my old eyes, I definitely need more light on the sides. Also, trying the "equal gap pattern" approach, the narrow notch of the "B" sight blade (3.7mm) requires me to hold closer to bullseye than I would like. If I can't find a "C" blade, I'll have to fire up my milling machine.
Gort

Post by Gort »

If you think of it as three separate pieces to get right, you've lost the battle. You are trying to establish a visual pattern of the whole correct alignment. The brain & visual system is very good at detecting symmetry. However, it won't know what you are trying to do the first time out. You need to TRAIN your brain to seek and maintain the alignment required to create that symmetrical visual pattern. That means lots of time just staring at the sights, while you work on keeping things aligned. You may also have to play with your sight dimensions (especially the rear notch) to get something that works well for you.
Very well said, Gort
David M

Post by David M »

Thats why it called a Sight Picture....
Target blurred, Foresight sharp clear
and Rearsight slightly dull fuz.
All elements make up the picture.
Attachments
sight_picture.gif
sight_picture.gif (3.56 KiB) Viewed 3239 times