AIMING FOR 10 METER PISTOL

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
97nick

Re: AIMING FOR 10 METER PISTOL

Post by 97nick »

the back sight width should be adjusted according to the lighting conditions at each range.
if you then try to make the gap under the bull equal you would have to adjust your sights for elevation too. just establish a constant that suites you.
not too close to the round though as again lighting can be a problem if very bright or very low.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

97nick wrote:the back sight width should be adjusted according to the lighting conditions at each range.
if you then try to make the gap under the bull equal you would have to adjust your sights for elevation too. just establish a constant that suites you.
not too close to the round though as again lighting can be a problem if very bright or very low.
I wonder how many elite shooters bother with this? Although some pistols now make adjusting the sight width somewhat easy, on most, it requires changing the blade, which gives you relatively coarse steps.

Given that the lighting levels for high end competition are set by the rules, I'd be surprised if there is enough variation that people bother to tweak their rear sight for every range. The lighting in some local ranges can vary quite a bit, but I've certainly never bothered to change my sights, largely because it hasn't been easy (or on some pistols, possible) to do.

I suppose if you are shooting for the Olympic gold medal at a range where you will be competing for a few days, it might be worth a small adjustment. I've certainly never felt the need, but I've only shot in the mid-570's in a match. Then again, the 9's were all where i called them, so I doubt the aiming part of the process was the determining factor.
toddinjax

Post by toddinjax »

darticus wrote:How does your brain decide the 3 points are equal and fire? Thanks Ron
Our brain kind of naturally seeks symmetry and patterns without much conscious effort. It happens with auditory stimulation (music) too. You (we all) do it all the time and don't even notice. You can focus your eye on the front sight, and without additional "mental focus", your brain will recognize the correct or incorrect symmetry as in Gwhite's example. Our brains are quite good at this task.
darticus

Post by darticus »

Assuming you are using this method how many shot should be shot at a target before you make a correction to the rear site. Should up or down left or right be done at the same time? Thanks Ron
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

darticus wrote:Assuming you are using this method how many shot should be shot at a target before you make a correction to the rear site.
It depends how good you are at calling your shots.

If you can normally call within half a ring or less then you can probably adjust on just one shot. If the hole isn't where you expected it to be then adjust the sights. I could do that 30 years ago, but no longer.

If you can't call to that accuracy, say only 1-1.5 rings, then you can probably adjust after about 5 shots that you called as good.

If you are lousy at calling shots then ask yourself why. Are you really concentrating and looking at the sights during the shot process?
darticus

Post by darticus »

David Levene wrote:
darticus wrote:Assuming you are using this method how many shot should be shot at a target before you make a correction to the rear site.
It depends how good you are at calling your shots.

If you can normally call within half a ring or less then you can probably adjust on just one shot. If the hole isn't where you expected it to be then adjust the sights. I could do that 30 years ago, but no longer.

If you can't call to that accuracy, say only 1-1.5 rings, then you can probably adjust after about 5 shots that you called as good.

If you are lousy at calling shots then ask yourself why. Are you really concentrating and looking at the sights during the shot process?
Thanks, I thought you really should shoot groups of 50 before you make an adjustment or once you see where the group is hitting. Ron
NoNoBadDog

Post by NoNoBadDog »

My two cents for what it's worth:

What they said. There's no way I can hold on a specific ring. I'd get rid of that. I naturally tend to line up half way between the black and the bottom of the target. If I try sighting closer to the black I start shooting high.

I've known elite shooters that have aligned right in the middle of the black. Whatever you do, do it the same every time.