Which one Morini 162ei, Feinwerkbau p44, or Styre LP10Long?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
JohnCfromMD

Which one Morini 162ei, Feinwerkbau p44, or Styre LP10Long?

Post by JohnCfromMD »

I am in the market for a new air pistol. The contenders are the Morini 162ei or MI, Feinwerkbau P44, or Styre LP10Long of LP10E? Which one would buy and why. (I already know that the Morini comes with two air cylinders and the others with only one). If you have any experience with the electronic triggers PLEASE let me know.
TomAmlie

Re: Which one Morini 162ei, Feinwerkbau p44, or Styre LP10Lo

Post by TomAmlie »

It's awfully hard to choose without handling them. Where in MD are you? We have a (very) informal AP shoot near Lancaster, PA every other Saturday, and there's an AP match at Palmyra, PA on 3/7. Either one of those would give you an opportunity to get an up-close look at some of the alternatives.
JohnCfromMD

Post by JohnCfromMD »

Dear Tom, I'm down in Bethesda. It is about a 2 hour drive. Can you give me the address? Can I shoot?
Thank you, John Ciccone
j-team

Post by j-team »

JohnCfromMD wrote:I am in the market for a new air pistol. The contenders are the Morini 162ei or MI, Feinwerkbau P44, or Styre LP10Long of LP10E? Which one would buy and why. (I already know that the Morini comes with two air cylinders and the others with only one). If you have any experience with the electronic triggers PLEASE let me know.
The Steyr LP10/LP10e definitely should come with 2 cylinders, make sure your dealer isn't taking one out. I'm pretty sure that the FWB P44 does as well.

All of the pistols you mention have very good triggers either mechanical or electronic. It really comes down to which you prefer/want. My only advice would be to avoid the electronic versions of Morini and Steyr if you have small hands as the electronic modules take up space in the grip and you can't grind the wood much in some places as you will break through to the electronics compartment!
Last edited by j-team on Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TomAmlie

Post by TomAmlie »

John -
The bi-weekly informal shoot is at Mount Joy Sportsmen's Association (next one this coming Saturday). You're welcome to shoot; it's really an informal group, a one-time $10 charge to cover targets and we shoot from January through April. Generally only about 4 - 5 people shoot.

http://www.mountjoysportsmen.com/about/

The AP Match on 3/7 is at Palmyra Sportsmen's Association http://www.palmyrasportsmens.com/index.asp.
They've got relays at 1:00 and 3:00 pm, and probably a total of about 20 entrants.

Tom
kle

Post by kle »

John-

I know that Chuck N. is selling his left-handed P44 and he has a left-handed Morini 162EI, if you want to try them out. PM on the way.

-Kent
Mike M.

Post by Mike M. »

I own a P44, LP10, and a 162. My take...

Steyr: Very low in the hand. Easy adjustment of grip angles. A bit fiddly to load, as you push the pellet into the breech. Trigger is good, but seems to work best for long-fingered shooters.

P44: Sits much higher in the hand. I feel like the recoil absorber works a bit better than the Steyr. Grip adjustment is fiddly, the grip fits on a sub-frame that you adjust. Trigger suits a short-fingered shooter better.

Morini 162: Also high in the hand. Trigger is great. No adjustment other than palmrest in the grip. No recoil absorption, at least not in mine.

My lineup? Steyr in first position, FWB right behind it. Were I starting from scratch, it would be a hard choice to make.
JohnCfromMD

Post by JohnCfromMD »

Mike, this is very useful as I have small hands, and the P44 may be the best bet. But I really need to get my hands on them. Thanks for the info.
John Ciccone
cpe

Post by cpe »

I have shot all of them and they all are nice and you can do well with any of them.

On the trigger, I liked the Morini electric trigger the best until I tried the p44, I am still playing with the P44, but coming to really like mechanical option better. The Steyrs are great, but was surprised how much better I liked the Morini electric over the Steyr electric.

Rating the triggers: P44=Morini elect> steyr lp10 > lp10E

The P44 sits high in the hand and at that first threw me off, but it has so many adjustments you can make that once I tweaked it to fit my style of shooting I ended up liking it better and better, especially after extending the sight radius which really settled out the balance and feel. I think I can see why a lot of people never bought p44s as it takes some work to make it fit and had I only had one try with it, I may well have passed on the p44

Out of box: Morini>Steyrs>P44

Thought the p44 and the Steyrs felt very similar with shooting characteristics but liked the P44 grips over the Steyr, but would prefer Rinks first for any of them. Thought steyr was great with similar adjustability to p44, though no cant on the Steyr. However, I found the electronic connections in the 10e made it a chore and it made the adjustments a lot less appealing. The other thing I noticed is that out of the box the Steyrs felt better in the hand. However, once I adjusted everything on the p44, I found I kept going back to it as it kept getting better and the Steyrs stayed in the box. Morini was kind of that way too, nice out of the box--downside is it doesn't really get better after that since you cant do as much to tweak it.

Adjustability: P44>lp10>lp10e>morini If you like to tweak it to optimal p44 and lp10 are nice.
Shootability: p44=steyrs > morini Morini is just too dang loud in close quarters as is an lp2 which was the main downside. They all shoot well.

I would like to try out Rinks on the Lp10 and p44 and see how those compare as I found both grip sets to be ok but not optimal and I have liked Rinks on everything else I have shot.

Certainly it would be good to try them out if you can, but would put my leanings toward Steyr LP10 or p44 since you can tweak them quite a bit to optimize the fit. I thought I would like electric triggers hands down, but after the p44, I am less certain on that.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

You should also look at the Walther LP400 variants.
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

First of all, you should read everything that has been written about this here on TT.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Now, now, Tycho.... the abuse and chastisement of newbies is MY prerogative. Just ask William.
william

Post by william »

Rover wrote:Now, now, Tycho.... the abuse and chastisement of newbies is MY prerogative. Just ask William.
When did you start limiting yourself to newbies? I've always thought of you as an equal-opportunity abuser.
izzyjim

Post by izzyjim »

JohnC, 12th Precinct pistol club in Harwood Md. has informal indoor AP on Wed. evenings. It might be closer to you than PA.

They also have nra/ussa matches there monthly, unfortunately the February match was canceled due to a power outage.
BEA

Post by BEA »

If you have not looked at the Pardini K12, I recommend that you do.
dam8

Post by dam8 »

Any of these will out shoot you, if you have the opportunity to hold and shoot any of them, it will be very valuable. After shooting many, and having saved funds for a top gun, I ended up with an lp1 (steyr) over the p44 , morini, lp10! and think of it this way, if you make a mistake you'll most likely get all your money back.