springloader/pneumatic pistol suggestions?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Abbortjern

springloader/pneumatic pistol suggestions?

Post by Abbortjern »

Looking for an air pistol that meet the following 3 criteria:

1. Lightweight (Nothing over 2 lbs, preferably lighter)
2. Pneumatic or spring loading
3. Suitable for recreational 10m target

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
ojh

Post by ojh »

Gamo Compact. Weighs exactly 2 lbs, very good grip for the price, decent but somewhat flimsy sights. Trigger is light but rough compared with real target pistols, trigger weight can't be adjusted. A person with lesser physical strength may find the pistol difficult to load. Accuracy is well good enough for recreational shooting.

http://www.gamo.com/portal/internationa ... mpact.html
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

ojh wrote:Gamo Compact. Weighs exactly 2 lbs, very good grip for the price, decent but somewhat flimsy sights. Trigger is light but rough compared with real target pistols, trigger weight can't be adjusted. A person with lesser physical strength may find the pistol difficult to load. Accuracy is well good enough for recreational shooting.

http://www.gamo.com/portal/internationa ... mpact.html
I would suggest the Gamo, is a pretty poor pistol. It's a pig to load or rather to cock, and the trigger is awful. Not only is it heavy, and rough, it is also inconsistent. The sights are reasonable now - I think they can even be adjusted for width, which was previously a big problem as the factory setup was way too narrow a gap.

I'd personally suggest going with something like a Steyr / anschutz LP2 compact, assuming funds aren't an issue. If you are on a budget then look in the second hand columns.

Rob.
Abbortjern

Post by Abbortjern »

Thanks for the replies, I will check into the Gamo compact, although reviews appear a bit sketchy from what I have read so far.

I am specifically looking for a springer/pneumatic, so the LP2 is not an option for me.

Let me know if anyone can think of any other models that could fit.
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

I haven't handled one, but the FAS AP604 looks like an option. A bit weak like most SSP pistols at about 380 to 400fps but reportedly quite accurate at 10 metres. Around $700 to $800 new.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Here ya go...

viewtopic.php?t=42767

You should have been buying JoeG's FWB 100 in the Classified instead of waiting for a reply here.
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

Rover wrote:Here ya go...

viewtopic.php?t=42767

You should have been buying JoeG's FWB 100 in the Classified instead of waiting for a reply here.
I'd certainly concur. A fair price on an excellent pistol.
Abbortjern

Post by Abbortjern »

Well, I would love to get a Feinwerkbau, but I had already eliminated their older spring and pneumatics based on weight. Remember, my first criteria is finding a pistol that weighs 2 pounds or less.

I thought the FWB 65/80/90 and 100/102/103 all weighed in at around 3 pounds or more? Or am I mistaken about that?

FAS 604 sounds like an option based on what I've read so far...

Thanks again for all your input.
catnap

Post by catnap »

SSP's are going to be heavier than PCP's. Springers are going to be lower tech. In general.

I just got a used Baikal IZH46 (not 46m) that is new to me that is shooting at 400 fps and plenty accurate for what you say your goal is.

The trigger is great for the secondary phase and very adjustable.

If you put a 46 on the 'diet' as described lower down in this thread by Gerard you might get close to your weight target.

/viewtopic.php?t=36789

I wish you the best of luck trying to find an old Izh46. You also might also be able to find a used Pardini K58 that is reputed to be a great SSP and a tad lighter than the stock 46 in the 1050g range and with similar mods as described for the izh that might bring that AP into your weight range requirement.

I still haven't brought myself to start cutting on the classic izh46 whereas my new 46m has had some 'surgery'.

catnap
Last edited by catnap on Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

Abbortjern wrote:I thought the FWB 65/80/90 and 100/102/103 all weighed in at around 3 pounds or more? Or am I mistaken about that?
I have a FWB 103, with its cocking handle taken off, it weighs 2.1 lbs and with the cocking handle around 2.5 lbs. Since you say the pistol is for recreational shooting, I would also recommend a Gamo Compact. With the trigger sear polished and buffed, the trigger action will improve. Also, the pistol is easily serviced, virtually all internal seals can be replaced by o-rings except for the piston seal.
Abbortjern

Post by Abbortjern »

OK, based on your input I will start looking for a FAS 604 and if I can't locate one, get a Gamo compact. Both pistols are 900 grams.or less and meet my criteria.
Still concerned.with the build quality of the Gamo though based reviews I've read.

Feel free to come with additional suggestions if you can think of any.
Misny

Post by Misny »

You might want to look at the Daisy 747. I started out shooting air pistol with a Daisy 777 and it was very accurate, light weight and easy to cock. The down side is the trigger wasn't the best and the velocity is pretty low.
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

Abbortjern wrote:Still concerned.with the build quality of the Gamo though based reviews I've read.
My Gamo Compact has over 10.000 shots before I had to replace its seals with o-rings and the piston seal was still good, so the build quality is quite sturdy. There are two things that you should never do with the Gamo Compact: 1.) repetitive dry firing without air will break the plastic pin that retains the trigger spring. 2.) Do not have the pistol compressed with air for more than 30 seconds. The SSP's valve mechanism and seals are not designed to have compressed air for long periods.

Also a used Compact will cost you $100-150, vs. a FAS 604 around $500.
DLS

Post by DLS »

Misny wrote:You might want to look at the Daisy 747. I started out shooting air pistol with a Daisy 777 and it was very accurate, light weight and easy to cock. The down side is the trigger wasn't the best and the velocity is pretty low.
It's hard to beat the 747 for the money, but it's over the 2 pound limit the OP requested.

I just threw my 747 onto my postal scale it weighs 2 lbs. 11.5 oz. / 1250g.

This pistol does have a set of plain, smooth, ambidextrous, RB walnut grips which weigh more than the factory supplied plastic, but they can't come close to 11.5 ounces.
rmca

Post by rmca »

How firm are you on the 2 lbs limit?

Even kids or ladies are well capable of holding a little more weight, and since you want it for recreational shooting they won't be holding it for long periods of time anyway...

I'm saying this because that criteria is putting aside a lot of much better guns that still meet your other criteria.

Don't get me wrong, the Compact was my first air pistol and I do have a soft spot for it, but if it wasn't for the restriction in weight I would not recommend it. There are far superior guns for a little more money what the gamo costs. Just check the buy and sell on this forum.

Given all your criteria I would also have to suggest the Gamo Compact.

Hope this helps
Abbortjern

Post by Abbortjern »

How firm are you on the 2 lbs limit?
Fairly firm, but I guess I could go a few.ounces over.

Its just a personal preference. I shoot much, much better with a lighter pistol. My favorite 22 pistol for recreational target practice is my Hammerli Trailside, which weighs in at about 30 oz. But put on a couple of barrel weights on it, and I shoot start shooting worse. Give me a heavy air pistol like the FWB 80 and I become awful. Meanwhile, I can shoot a near perfect with a light FWB P11.

So why not get a P11? Because I am just an occasional shooter and I really don't want to deal with the accessories. All I want is a reliable and light spring or lever pneumatic that I can just pick up and punch some.paper if I feel inclined. Speaking of spring, I am fine with going really vintage if a lighter spring pistol actually exists.
Silvershooter

Post by Silvershooter »

There are a couple of FAS 604's for sale on this site in the UK.
http://www.gunstar.co.uk/fas-604-177-ai ... uns/507423

The Seller is a RFD so will be able to advise on the feasibility of exporting to the US.
DLS

Post by DLS »

Abbortjern wrote:
... I shoot much, much better with a lighter pistol. .
Perhaps the difference in shootability (is that even a word?) is fit and balance versus weight? Just food for thought, but for me when the grip and balance are to my liking a few extra ounces don't make any difference at all.
Abbortjern

Post by Abbortjern »

Thanks for the tip! I have sent inquiries. Is there any custom issues to be aware of with shipping air guns?

Also still interested in other suggestions on suitable pistols if anyone can think of some.
rmca

Post by rmca »

Abbortjern wrote: So why not get a P11? Because I am just an occasional shooter and I really don't want to deal with the accessories.
Here's my opinion.

As far as accessories go for air pistols, the only thing you will need is a hand pump or a scuba tank (it can be a small one) to fill the pistol's cylinders. There isn't much else you need for shooting AP rather than targets and pellets. Now, if we were talking about air rifle, I would totally get your point about the accessories, but air pistol isn't like that.

The reasoning behind shooting better with a lighter pistol than a heavier one kind of eludes me... perhaps lack of practice? The weight differences we are talking about here aren't that massive, and you can easily get used to it. Also a heavier pistol has a tendency to be more stable when the shot breaks.

This leads me to the post by DLS
DLS wrote:Perhaps the difference in shootability (is that even a word?) is fit and balance versus weight? Just food for thought, but for me when the grip and balance are to my liking a few extra ounces don't make any difference at all.
I too agree that fit and balance are way more important than weight.

This is my point, and perhaps the reason this treat has so many answers so far, one of your criteria for choosing an air pistol doesn't make too much sense and is preventing you to consider some much better pistols. Ones that are better build, with better triggers, sights, balance, grips, etc.
Pistols that hold their value much better over time, and most important of all, pistols that if you stick with them will help you improve much more than a Gamo Compact (and as I said, I do have a soft spot for it).

Try if you can some air pistols that you consider too heavy, and pay special attention to how good/bad the grip fits your hand. You'll see the difference in performance we are talking about.

Hope this heps