News on the Baikal MP-438 ( new model of the IZH-35M)

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

tuj wrote:Dick Horton grips.
The grips indeed look charming and sexy, but I would be surprised if they were permissible under current ISSF rules.

Alexander
Dr. Jim

Post by Dr. Jim »

Alexander wrote:
tuj wrote:Dick Horton grips.
The grips indeed look charming and sexy, but I would be surprised if they were permissible under current ISSF rules.

Alexander
Not for ISSF, but perfectly acceptable under the NRA conventional pistol rules.
Eaglemitch

Post by Eaglemitch »

Does anyone know what the MSRP (Price) is?
Leon

Post by Leon »

Eaglemitch wrote:Does anyone know what the MSRP (Price) is?
There isn't one yet. The pistols are not in full production as yet.
Eaglemitch

Post by Eaglemitch »

Thanks
ruig

Post by ruig »

IZH Factory Store in Izhevsk one year ago:

(Fotos from Internet...)
diathermic

Post by diathermic »

Hey, thanks a bunch Igor! Nice find!
william

Post by william »

Thank you for the images, Igor. 2 things seem noteworthy:
1. No slide hold-open device.
2. The lower pic looks very much like they have retained the grip safety from the Izh35 series. That would make it legal for USA import if anybody wants to become the US agent.

I wonder what their annual production will be - dozens, hundreds, thousands?
joe1347

Post by joe1347 »

If anyone is curious, I just noticed that Baikal is now listing the MP-438 on their web page. I don't believe they were 6 months ago when the thread was last active.

Now if someone in the USA will start carrying it!

http://imzcorp.com/en/company/318.html

Fortitudo Dei

Post by Fortitudo Dei »

joe1347 wrote:If anyone is curious, I just noticed that Baikal is now listing the MP-438 on their web page. I don't believe they were 6 months ago when the thread was last active.

Now if someone in the USA will start carrying it!
As much as I wish it were otherwise, its presence on the Baikal website is no indication that any have actually been made recently or that they are available. Russian websites often show firearms which are impossible to obtain. Their presence sometimes seems to mean that "we could make this....if we wanted to...but we're still thinking about it..."
The IZH-35m is also shown on their website (even in a sexy two-tone nickel / blued combination. Does one even actually exist?) but it hasn't been available for years. They also show an image of a Margolin but there is no sign of that being available either.
Unfortunately firearms manufacture in Russia today is just as fraught as it was in Soviet times with masses of bureaucracy to wade through (and I suspect, palms to be greased) before anything can happen. Just look at what happened to Khaidurov’s (R.I.P) final design…
Leon

Post by Leon »

A shipment of MP-438s has already arrived in Australia. Alas, they have all been sold.
joe1347

Post by joe1347 »

Leon wrote:A shipment of MP-438s has already arrived in Australia. Alas, they have all been sold.
Any idea what they sold for?
Leon

Post by Leon »

william wrote:Thank you for the images, Igor. 2 things seem noteworthy:
1. No slide hold-open device.
2. The lower pic looks very much like they have retained the grip safety from the Izh35 series. That would make it legal for USA import if anybody wants to become the US agent.

I wonder what their annual production will be - dozens, hundreds, thousands?
They do have a slide hold open device.
There is no grip safety.
skimmer

BAIKAL MP438

Post by skimmer »

Hi guys, a small snippet of info as I know it.

Australia, by way of Alex Taransky's (multi Olympian Rapidfire shooter of the 60's and 70's) Russian influence, did actually receive a handful of these firearms earlier this year, two in 2011 also.

Photo bucket pictures attached will show the modifications compared with the famous and widely distributed IZH35M.

Most obvious are inbuilt slide lock that doubles as a feed ramp compensator dampening the feed into the breech.

A dry fire mechanism is a valuable inclusion for anybody serious about ISSF training.

The dual spring with the second spring using the lower cover as a counterweight to minimize recoil, this feature to suggest the least is fantastic.

Whilst I would never suggest this firearm to be as still as the "HR" developed by Efim Haidurov it is not bad and I bet someone challenged enough could shoot off a shot with an empty brass case balanced on the top cover not upsetting it thru a shot.

The inbuilt counterweight system in the top cover and an external system to the lower cover for those that like to tinker, why additional weight would be required interests me.

The front sight has been extended back some 20mm to accommodate the rear sight block reposition now allowing for all trigger adjustments to be done externally.

The bullet feed ramp angle has had a very slight improvement with the only obvious way to notice difference being to load and unload a case to note minimal marking on the bullet head compared with previous models.

The factory grips I note get some flack, the Russians produce a block somewhat to simulate a RH large grip to suit a left eyed shooter, any modification from there is required by the end user, smart really if you think about it for these high end firearms.

Countless times on here I note the reference to costs and RRP, well let me be a little cheeky to suggest good luck getting any as these are hand made to the prepaid order in the month of December only, this occurs whilst the Izhevsky factory is closed for the deep cold Russian winter. Australia has hefty importation costs and taxes related to Firearms so any suggested cost would not be accurate for many readers on here.

I am fortunate enough to currently own two of these magnificent firearms, I gave a little over two thousand Australian dollars for each so they do not come cheap as has been the expectation from Russia but I can easily justify them compared with AW93, Pardini, Hamerlli etc

My two I have extended up the rear sight blade to give good clearance from the top cover, in fact 11mm up from the locating lug, additionally then to rake the front blade back to conform to sight radius requirements.

Hope this is of some help to a few with questions about these magnificent firearms of my choice.

http://s232.photobucket.com/user/finati ... al%20mp438
Leon

Post by Leon »

I have an MP-438 as well.

Mine is fitted with Rink grips - shot Standard Pistol with it yesterday - recoil recovery is very, very quick, amazing in fact - compared to the new model Benelli MP90S I also shot yesterday - itself no slouch in this area.

I have removed all the internal weights from mine and just have 1x 25g weight mounted externally.

From what I understand,these MP438s have been made just for the Russian Shooting Team. Alex Taransky, by virtue of knowing the Russian team armourer, did manage to get his hands on 10 or so - these ones being the sole MP438s outside Russia.