FWB P44 grip

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
kbc

FWB P44 grip

Post by kbc »

I have a question for those who have P44s. I have been contemplating in getting a P44 for a while. Because I am shooting cross eye, right hand with left eye, I wonder if the factory grip's lateral grip angle has enough adjustment range to accomodate cross eye shooting.

This link shows the definition of lateral grip angle.
http://www.formgriffe.de/u/1109424210_z ... t_Rink.pdf

Steyr LP10 factory grip can't accomate large enough lateral grip angle adjustment for cross eye shooting. But interestingly, the LP1 factor grip can.

Thank you very much for your help.

BTW, it may be a fun idea for FWB to make an Obama edition of P44 since he is the 44th American president.

Merry Christmas.

kbc
Shooting Kiwi

Post by Shooting Kiwi »

The P44 has approx 6 degrees total rotational adjustment. A quick experiment shows that I would need about 4.6 degree adjustment for cross-eyed aiming. Therefore it sounds as though it might be OK for you.

HOWEVER, if you assume that I have the grip centred, I have only 3 degrees adjustment for cross-eyed aiming. In fact, even for conventional aiming, I'm near the limit of rotational adjustment, so I would have almost no adjustment available for cross-eyed aiming.

Therefore, without knowing your natural hand / grip position, the question can't be answered. 6 degrees ain't much...
Last edited by Shooting Kiwi on Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
peterz

Post by peterz »

If you are sure of that rotation, Thomas Rink could probably custom build you a grip that set that as the zero-point and then let you have adjustment to either side. You should e-mail him or go to his site: formgriffe.de

pz
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

Rink has every grip in a standard version and a 7 degrees offset version. If you take the 7 degree grip, you can adjust it by -2.4 degrees and get your 4.6.
Shooting Kiwi

Post by Shooting Kiwi »

...just to avoid confusion: I'm OK with my P44 grip, and don't shoot 'cross-eyed'.

kbc - you really need to borrow a P44 and try it. The point I'm making is that I would not have enough adjustment to shoot 'cross-eyed', should I want to, but others might. Assuming my eyes are about as far apart as most folk's, and my arm length is similar, and my maths is OK, cross-eyed shooting needs approx. 4 - 5 degrees of grip rotation with the P44. What you need to know is where you would start from.
kbc

Post by kbc »

Thank you very much for all the helpful replies.

I have a Rink grip for LP10 made for my cross eye shooting. But no need for the LP1. Its old factory grip is shaped a bit different from the LP10's grip. Interestingly, Walther SSP factory grip can accomdate cross-eye shooting. I tried it at Earl's repair in Ma.

I don't know anyone in Los Angeles who has a P44 that I can try. So I have to rely on you guys here :)

Shooting Kiwi - I think your analysis is very reasonable.

I have to shoot cross eye because of severe cataract in the right eye and I don't want to have cataract surgery since my left eye can still see. The problem with an artificial lens is its lack of focusing ability. Hopefully they will invent a new procedure soon.
peterz

Post by peterz »

KBC --

I have had one cataract removed (left eye) and will soon have another removed from the right eye. It is close to a miracle operation, and you have likely forgotten how nice it is to have sharp binocular vision.

Focusing: If you're over about 50, the natural lenses in your eyes don't really focus much any more. Also, there are focusing cataract implants (tho' they are said not to be very good), should you so choose.

In short, I wouldn't put off a cataract operation just because your left eye can still see! Your right eye cannot see (well).