Toz 35 Modifications

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
humphrieskris740

Post by humphrieskris740 »

There is an old saying.......an inaccurate gun is a boring gun. There are handguns that have "combat accuracy," better known as acceptable accuracy. This is often a compromise between durability, portability, marketability, and of course, cost. Then there are handguns with "target accuracy".........two inch groups at 50 yards with the right ammo. Click to enlarge True, these pistols, usually semi automatics, are well above the average pistol in the ability to put holes in the black, but they are compromised by a reciprocating action that must return the barrel and sights to the same position over and over.

Finally, there are "free pistols".......The free pistol is a handgun built for extreme accuracy. A free pistol is easily identified by its grip, which may completely envelope and stabilises the shooter's hand, although it cannot reinforce the wrist. Regulations require only that a free pistol fires .22 calibre long rifle cartridges and has open sights. These pistols posses a longer barrel, and sight radius. Most are single shot pistols, or they use a modified magazine that can only contain one round.

Free pistol, a precision shooting event, has been part of the Olympics since 1896. Competitors shoot .22 caliber pistols from 50 meters at precision targets with a 5cm 10 ring. Competitors fire 60 shots in two hours. 600 is a perfect score, and 565 is considered world class. The top eight competitors advance to a 10-shot final round, with 75 seconds allotted for each shot. The final is scored in tenths of a point and added to the match score to determine winners. A perfect final score is 109. A perfect aggregate (Match + Final) score is 709 points. The free pistol is a no excuse precision hole puncher. The shooter of these handguns only has himself to blame is a shot flies wide of the bullseye.

I purchased my TOZ-35 from CDNN for $499 with the wooden case. Click to enlargeWith overnight shipping, the price came to $512. The outside of the case was pretty badly scuffed up and the top of the case was loose, but nothing a bit of wood glue can not repair. The felt lining was intact throughout. the wooden case had persevered and protected the treasure inside. Included with the TOZ-35 was an English version of the manual, and an odd bottle for lubricant. The rest of the package.......Tools and assorted sight leaves were missing. The absent items didn't really bother me that much, it was still a deal in my opinion. I immediately went online to research the pistol.

Designed in 1959, the Vostok TOZ-35 is still a worthy competitor against such names as Hammerli and Pardini. Click to enlargeAt the 2000 Milan World Cup, Bill Demarest won and set a new world record in Free Pistol of 676.2 points with a TOZ-35. The TOZ-35 won Gold, Silver, Bronze, and 4th place at the 1996 Olympic Games. Yes, it's still a competitive pistol without all the lightweight unobtainium high speed space age gyroscopic whiz bangs. Heck, I kind of like it's antique-ish flavor. I guess I'm just a walnut and blue kind of guy.

The grips of the TOZ-35 are adjustable walnut. The left grip fully encircles the thumb. The upper wing supports the firearm on the hand, while the adjustable lower wing supports it underneath. The lower wing would not adjust far enough down for my big ham of a hand, so I removed it for this range report. In the future, I will fabricate a bracket so the lower wing can be attached when I shoot the pistol.Click to enlarge
BATT-59

Free Pistol Shooters Rock

Post by BATT-59 »

Just joined TargetTalk, and I enjoyed reading some of the posts. Looking forward to meeting you guys on the range, where action speaks.[/b]
rem.44

Re: Toz 35 Modifications

Post by rem.44 »

I dit it !!!

Not easy, and I often wondered if I was not doing a big mistake .
But finally ...

And the link towards the full size pics album : http://www.casimages.com/a/Vqe0l

And now, good night, it's time to go to sleep here, in France !
Last edited by rem.44 on Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
agentr

Post by agentr »

Awesome! Let us know how it performs. Do you see any advantages, higher scores, less elbow pain?
rmca

Post by rmca »

Looks very nice!

Can you post some pictures of the screw that holds the grip, and how did you attach it to the pistol?

Thanks!
rem.44

Post by rem.44 »

Thanks for your comments !

Arghhh, it's not the easiest to take in photo ... and not the easiest to explain !!! Forgive my poor english !

I use the former tapped holes for the grip fixation.
I took a screw of the same diameter, cut the head, made a groove with a saw for the screwdriver blade, and sharpen the other extremity to a point.
This screw, without head now, seats through the gun, from one side to the other, across the frame.
Then, I took a kind of tapped brass tube (or threaded sleeve ???), that I drilled, to adapt it on the gun thanks to the screw.
And a big screw come throuh the grip in this tube/sleeve.

I'm afraid my explanations will not be better than my pics ....

But my goal is achieved : the diet is over, and the barrel is free !!!
Now, its weight is 1050 grammes: I lost almost 300 grammes, and the grip is not finished. I think I have a couple of hours, again, to make it nicer, and maybe lighter again.
rmca

Post by rmca »

rem.44 wrote:I'm afraid my explanations will not be better than my pics ....
Quite the contrary!

Great idea to use the original screw holes on the frame.
With a little work you can have an adjustable grip angle (like a Steyr LP10), but with the screws on the grip.

Thanks for the photos!
rem.44

Post by rem.44 »

You know, this aventure was quite a pita ...
I often thought that I had ruined my gun !
When I was resolving a problem, I had another one that was arriving.

For the adjustable grip angle, I suppose it would be easier with thicker frame sides.
But it's not really important now : I can carve my grip as much as I want, since there is no steel frame and lever inside it.
So, I can adjust the grip angle by carving my hand print.

I am really impatient to shoot it, now : this is the longest week I have ever lived !!!
mikeyj

Post by mikeyj »

Brilliant design and execution!
Ricardo

Post by Ricardo »

Quick question: HOW do you cut the frame? All I have is a handheld drill, a Dremel and a hacksaw. Or do I need some real-man kind of tool?
rem.44

Post by rem.44 »

Qwick answer : with a hacksaw.
And I finished with a soft file.

But cutting the frame is not the most difficult part, believe me !
Ricardo

Post by Ricardo »

Thanks! And yeah, playing with a TOZ is much easier than shooting it well.
rem.44

Post by rem.44 »

Sometimes, I really feel that the TOZ is playing with me, and not the contrary ...
Ricardo

Post by Ricardo »

After frame hacking, do you all treat the cut steel surface? Cold bluing, paint, nothing?
rem.44

Post by rem.44 »

Hum ... You have noticed I hadn't done anything ...

I think a cold bluing should be a good thing , to prevent rust apparition.

And on the barrel too, where the ring to attach the accelerator was.

Now, I know what to do this afternoon : thanks, Rocardo ! ;-)
rem.44

Post by rem.44 »

Hello Guys !
I hope this post will find you healthy, in these troubled times.
Here in France we are also suffering from this f***ing Covid-19, and to fight against it, we must stay at home .
This containment allowed me to work on my TOZ, and I realized this could be a nice opportunity to salute all the shooters worlwide on Targettalk !
Please, take care of youselves and all those you love !

At the beginning of the containment, I drilled two little holes on the side of the reciever, under the cocking lever : the little ball hold by the spring arrives just in them, and thus locks the lever in cocking and arming position.
The little "click" sound while locking is rather funny ... I like it !

Had this grip on it, since I modified it, 4 years ago :

Perfect grip, giving a perfect sight alignement, but not really satisfying me esthaetically speaking ; too dark, because I had oiled it with linseed oil.

And this nice walnut block, teasing me for too long ...

Guess what ...
AJV

Post by AJV »

Here we go! 😁👍
Mr_Ree

Post by Mr_Ree »

I am in the same position, though without a usable grip to use in the meantime. Please post pictures of the process. Thanks!
gimgim

Post by gimgim »

My mods here, including the 3D printed stl file for the trigger guard
https://www.targettalk.org/viewtopic.ph ... oz#p286640

I should cut the frame at some point, I even bought the special grip from Rink.
Ramon OP

Post by Ramon OP »

rem.44 wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 3:00 pm And this nice walnut block, teasing me for too long ...
Please, please, please: document how you go from that square block to the grip and share it. S'il te plaît, partage ta connaissance :) Je suis impressionné.
Ramon