have you ever seen a... ?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
edster99

have you ever seen a... ?

Post by edster99 »

Two questions in one -

1)for those of you who have Yur'yev's 'Competitive shooting' have you ever seen a real picture of the two soviet air pistols in the appendix - the MTs-50-2 and the Solovyev CO2-GPS?

2)Is there a forum for that sort of thing?

I found a site for the manufacturer of the MTs and apparently they still make a .32 rapid fire Russki shooting technology will defeat you decadent imperialists

No joy on a google search of the solovyev, so anyone who has any idea please let me know!

cheers

Ed
Shooting Kiwi

Post by Shooting Kiwi »

I don't have Yur'yev's book to hand, but have a borrowed copy of a Russian / English book with exploded drawings, parts lists and a GA drawing of the Vostok MC50-2 CO2 pistol - is this the same one?

The book is a mine of information and beautiful drawings. It has drawings of about 60 Soviet long and short arms, including several free pistols (including TOZ 35) and rapid-fire pistols, all very mouth-watering. Some possibly virtually unknown in the 'Free' (Ha!) World.

If you can explain a way I can get huge scanned files onto the forum, I would be happy to scan some of the info (but it will take time and NZ upload rates are sooo slow!).
edster99

Post by edster99 »

yep that is the one, sounds like an interesting book! You could try scanning them in and then use a tool called 'Easy thumbnails' to minimise the file size of the images.. or maybe you can do a save as and reduce the quality a bit? a 90% quality jpeg is often about 50% the files size
Shooting Kiwi

Post by Shooting Kiwi »

I use Linux, not Windoze, but can nevertheless shrink the files to a reasonable size... but what then? I'm sorry, but I haven't tried to fathom out how to upload files somewhere so that they are available to this forum. Also, I note the recent request for info to be made available to the shooting wiki. OK, how do I do it? I regret that rapid results won't happen - I'm still surrounded by the chaos of an international removal and don't even know where my scanner is!
edster99

Post by edster99 »

ok here goes as techno geek... go to 'reply' and below the text box there is a section for attachments. Select the file, and then click on the 'add attachment' button. You need to take note of the allowed extensions. These are

img = gif jpeg jpg png tga tif 256K
docs = ai doc dot pdf ppt ps xls 1 MB
text = c cpp diz h hpp txt 256K
compressed files = ace gtar gz rar tar zip 1 MB

with a max size as above.

HTH

Ed
Shooting Kiwi

Post by Shooting Kiwi »

Thanks Ed,

I think the 1MB limit may be a problem. I think that, for reliability, the scanned pages should remain as images, rather than be 'scanned to text'. The GA drawings are very detailed, so resolution would need to be kept reasonable. Perhaps I can make the images .pdf files for uploading.

Perhaps the answer is for someone not bothered by russian copyright law, to receive a DVD full of hi-res images and host it for all interested parties to access. Any offers?

Now, to find the scanner... (could take some time!)
edster99

Post by edster99 »

I might take up that option... what is the name of the book? I might try and look out a copy

cheers

Ed
pilkguns
Site Admin

Post by pilkguns »

If you get them to me, we will add them to the 10P files
Shooting Kiwi

Post by Shooting Kiwi »

Ed, the book is really a catalogue of spare parts, from Raznoexport, in both Russian and (good!) English. No date, but probably '70s-'80s (?). No publisher info - it looks like a trade production, rather than published for general consumption, but who knows how things worked behind the Iron Curtain?

FWIW, 'Customers should send their requests to Vsesojuznoje Exportno-Importnoje Objedinenije RAZNOEXPORT; 15, Verkhnyaya Krasnoselskaya St., Moscow, B-140, USSR. Telex: 161. Telephone: 264-56-56.'

'The customer is expected to send a letter which indicates the model of the firearm, list and quantity of requested parts and their names and numbering given in the present catalogue.' No information about payment!

OK, I'll try to get some files to Pilkguns, when scanned, but, sorry guys, it's going to take a month or three...
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

Yur'Yev's book is The Word and The Light.

Steve Swartz

(Well, for international type shooting anyhow!)