Help me with my IZH 46m rear sight

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Help me with my IZH 46m rear sight

Post by Guest »

It bothers me a lot that to shoot straight, my rear sight has to be set 15 clicks off center.

My front sight is centered, but my rear sight has to be set almost a full rear sight square off toward the left.

Why? How come I can't have a straight gun when both front and rear sight are set apparently straight to the barrel?
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

is it the pistol, the shooter, or a bit of both?

the quick way to find out is to machine rest the pistol and find out where the shots go in relation to the sights.
- If the pistol groups where you have the sights set (for you), it's the pistol
- if the pistol groups where the sights would be 'central', it's you

OK! Machine resting an IZH46 is not all that easy - that cocking lever would be a problem, but a sandbag rest should give you an indication.

I have encountered a few (not many) Izhevsk produced pistols that have benefited from recrowning the barrel - it might be worth having a tame gunsmith check for any damage to the crowning.

Spencer
vin

Mayby...

Post by vin »

you could loosen the two screws holding the rear sight plate on and move it over?
spacepilot

Re: Help me with my IZH 46m rear sight

Post by spacepilot »

Guest, I am not sure what you mean by "15 clicks off center". Do you mean that you have adjust the rear sight by 15 clicks from where it was from the factory for it to center on the target? One thing to consider is that the rear notch plate is mounted on the base using two screws, which can slide to the left and right within maybe a quarter of an inch (several millimeters) without falling off. So if the 15 clicks bothers you, you can always loosen the screws that secure the notch (clockwise), and move the notch plate an appropriate amount to the left, then you can get the 15 clicks back and the gun still shoot straight.

Spencer, your comments about IZH crowns had me worried. Is it possible to inspect the condition of the crown from just looking at it?
sbtzc

Post by sbtzc »

Beware: the screws holding the rear sight blade in are left-hand threaded. Turn clockwise to loosen, counter-clockwise to tighten.

Post by Guest »

sbtzc wrote:Beware: the screws holding the rear sight blade in are left-hand threaded. Turn clockwise to loosen, counter-clockwise to tighten.
Well, technically those screws are still right-handed. The reason why turning clockwise loosens them is because the "head" of the screws are on the opposite side.
sbtzc

Post by sbtzc »

Anonymous wrote:
sbtzc wrote:Beware: the screws holding the rear sight blade in are left-hand threaded. Turn clockwise to loosen, counter-clockwise to tighten.
Well, technically those screws are still right-handed. The reason why turning clockwise loosens them is because the "head" of the screws are on the opposite side.
LOL - nice one
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

spacepilot wrote:Spencer, your comments about IZH crowns had me worried. Is it possible to inspect the condition of the crown from just looking at it?
Yes (in the more severe cases)
- a damaged crowning is usually obvious
- a badly machined crowning will usually give some unusual fouling across the muzzle face (this other than the pattern from the rifling allowing gas out at differing velocities to that at the lands).

Remember I did say a few (not many) - Izzys and Margolins normally have excellent barrels

If you have a .22LR or Air Pistol that won't group with good ammunition/pellets, checking the crowning is a good first step.

Spencer

Post by Guest »

Thank you for all your reply.

I think I did not make myself clear.

When my shots are shot on center of the target, from a hand rest, my sight alignment is such: front site looks center relative to barrel length, the rear site is off center by a rear sight width from the "center of the two wood joining line" which looks to be in line with the barrel length.

Basically my rear sight is off midline, but only through this off center rear site am I able to shoot on center of target.

When I align "centered" based on what I perceived as the midline of the barrel and center of two adjoining wood line, shoot is off to right, I have to move 15 clicks to left, approximately one rear sight width, to bring shots into center target.

I don't understand where the problem is.
vin

Don't know...

Post by vin »

I don't know enough to comment, but I will look at my izy and and Mary's izy tonight and post what I see...