FAS AP604 Trigger Questions

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Dante'65

FAS AP604 Trigger Questions

Post by Dante'65 »

Hey everyone! New guy here and to 10m shooting and I'm looking for some help. I recently traded for a FAS AP 604 as my first 10m gun. The problem is that the trigger pull is much heavier then the pull of my Mac-1 LD. I've adjusted the pull weight screw all the way out and its still the same. Is this normal? I'm guessing its breaking at over a pound.

Also the gun was resealed by Pilkington's but the breech seal, which is opaque, pops out a little after I've fired a shot. I can see this as I open the action to insert a pellet into the breech. Its not a problem, as I just push it back in with my finger, but I'm wondering if this is normal or should I replace the breech seal.

And my final question, is there any way to up the power of this gun to about 500fps? I'd like the gun to serve double duty as a 10m gun and as a silhouette gun. Right now its shooting at 355fps with JSB S-100's.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Dante'
paw080

Post by paw080 »

Hi Dante, The fps seems okay to me, as long as it's fairly consistant.
Your pellet choice does seem too heavy though. Try using light pellets
around 7 grains, such as RWS Basics, JSB green tin or Vogel yellow tin.
Those will shoot at least 400fps. This is more than sufficient for AP Silhouette.
I have a Gamo Compact that is down on power and it still hits and knocks
down the Rams at 18 yards. As for your trigger, 10 meter AP requires
500g minimum, that's over a pound. What is the LD's pull? Since the LD
was designed to be an AP Silhouette gun, it's trigger is probably adjusted
to below the 500g ISSF minimum. Have you checked out our host's tenp
files(you probably have..)? Anyway, you do have a very nice starter AP
for 10 meter shooting and you can use it as is in the AP Silhouette open
sight class. I don't think you can make your FAS shoot significantly harder
but give our host a call if you wish. Best of luck;
Tony G
mister G

Post by mister G »

I sold my Domino/FAS 604 two years ago, but had a lot of fun with it, including decent scores at the nationals. Rebuilt it, using all new O-rings. Make sure you do not put petroleum-based lube anywhere near your O-rings; it destroys them over time. Use silicone grease.

At any rate, I think I still have the original manual and also a legal, extended front sight built by Don Nygord around 1982. If interested, let me know.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

mister G wrote:......and also a legal, extended front sight built by Don Nygord around 1982.
Out of interest, was that a special or the standard FAS extended front sight (slid into the normal front sight dovetail, was fixed by a screw replacing the normal barrel weight screw in the front of the pistol and extended the front sight by 1.5-2 inches).
Dante'65

Post by Dante'65 »

Tony and Mister G, this is great. I appreciate all of the help you guys have given me. I'm happy to find out that the trigger and velocity are fine. I didn't realize/or know that there is a limit on how light the trigger can be set. I appreciate the advise about a different weight pellet, as I really didn't want to do any type of modification to my FAS just for the sake of gaining a few fps.

Tony I don't know how light the LD trigger is, as my pull gauge is currently on loan to my cousin. But it is lighter then the FAS' trigger. I'm guessing it's breaking at about 8oz.

Mister G I'll shoot you a pm about the front site extension and manual. I'm very interested. I don't plan to add any grease to the gun as I have no idea what I'm doing.

Thanks again guys!

Dante'

Thanks again for
IanV

FAS AP 604 manual or advice

Post by IanV »

My pistol will no longer retain an air charge so I am looking to replace the seals on my 604 but I do not have a manual for it. My biggest problem is getting to the seals on the air release piston. Can anyone tell me where I can get a copy of the manual or offer some advice on stripping the 'breach' assembly?
mister G

Post by mister G »

The failure to hold air pressure may be due to the O-rings in either the main cylinder or the valving above the trigger. There are diagrams available on the 'net, but you could figure out the disassembly without screwing things up too badly.

I'd change the O-rings in the valving first. You don't need "official" O-rings, either. There's a good diagram in the manual which I could scan and send to you by email. Send a PM if interested.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Have you seen the exploded view in our host's TenP files for FAS pistols. It may offer some help.
mister G

Post by mister G »

David has got the proper link. The O-rings 210, 211 are the large piston rings and the 219 and 221 rings are for the valving. Typically, it's these latter rings that get contaminated with petroleum-based lubricants and degrade to a waxy, non-pliant state.

In my files I do have a couple of exploded parts diagrams that I got from Canada some time ago, but they are more illustartive than the 10P. I'll supply them to whoever needs them.