Steyr LP10 velocity adjustments

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
jer

Steyr LP10 velocity adjustments

Post by jer »

My LP10 does not make clean holes to targetpaper and I thougt to adjust velocity. I looked at http://www.pilkguns.com/tenp/spstyrlp.htm how to do that. In title regulating pellet velocity text and picture adjusting directions does not match. Which one is right?
Alexey931

Post by Alexey931 »

That's a normal screw compressing a normal spring. The more compression, the faster the pellet. Hence, clockwise - faster. You could have tried... :) Warning: don't you ever try it whithout a chronograph!

Best regards, Alexey
JulianY

Post by JulianY »

LP10's from the factory usually come at about 115 m/s but both steyr uk and steyr nl up the velocity to about 160 m/s and the fine tune it to match your pellet batch.

at this speed they make rifle ammunition really stable in flight

a chronograph is a must for this kind of operation

JY
Fred

Post by Fred »

Jer,

A warning if you do this. I'm pretty sure that the LP10 - unlike the LP1 - has a set screw that locks the velocity adjustment screw. You would need to loosen the set screw first, and then retighten after adjustments are complete. You should be able to find the correct locking screw in the parts diagram.

HTH,
FredB
Guest9

Post by Guest9 »

It would seem that there is a large discrepancy between 115 m/sec and 160 m/sec. Do others find the factory setting for the LP10's to be that low? (around 380 ft/sec).
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

I've seen them in the 475 ft/s range but never as low as 380 ft/s.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Mine dropped into the 300's I think but I thought 'normal' Steyr settings were in the 530's. It has since been repaired and they upped the pressure but I haven't chrono'd it again.

Rob.
JulianY

Post by JulianY »

I could be wrong but when i took mine to steyr nl to get it tuned it registered at 116 and I was lead to believe that was normal.

J
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

You have to make sure the set screw that locks it is tightened. When I ajusted mine the first time I forgot or didn't tighten it enough and it dropped to around 450 ft/sec.

As for what they are set at out of the factory it may depend on where they are shipping them, in Canada anything over 500 ft/sec is a firearm, so the ones they ship to Canada are below that in around the 475 range.
trebilcock

Chronograph

Post by trebilcock »

Would someone please provide some more info on "Chronographs" . Are there inexpensive ones that I could buy for my basement? Where can I buy them?

Thanks, John
trebilcock

Chronograph

Post by trebilcock »

Would someone please provide some more info on "Chronographs" . Are there inexpensive ones that I could buy for my basement? Where can I buy them?

Thanks, John
jrmcdaniel

Post by jrmcdaniel »

Shooting Chrony brand are OK and fairly inexpensive. I like the archery (works for anything) unit since it comes with a light kit (good for indoor shooting).

My chrony that I use most is the Combro (http://www.chronoscopes.com/) because it is incredibly portable and cost about $60 delivered. (Calling used to be the best way to order.)

Best,

Joe
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

I like the Combro approach, but it's really designed for air rifles. The original mounting system doesn't work well for air pistols with the cylinder under the barrel. I saw one web site that had a gadget bent out of coat hanger wire to extend the mounting to work on pistols, but that seems pretty slipshod and likely to flex/slip and shoot out the sensors.

I've been waiting for them to modify the design to work with a wider range of guns, but so far as I know they haven't addressed this issue.
trebilcock

Post by trebilcock »

Thank you for thr chrony info.
jer

After adjustment

Post by jer »

I adjusted velocity, just turned adjustment 1/5. Voice is much louder, holes in target are sharp now and I made my new record with that gun. Gun is much easier to shoot now, bad shots are now in 8 ring, before they were in 7 or 6 ring.
I tried accuracy in bench also and it was same as before. I tried to measure velocity but meter did not work in fluorescent light, have to try it again with some other lights.
Thank you for answers.