Anschutz LP@ - leaking air during shots?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Anschutz LP@ - leaking air during shots?

Post by Guest »

Targettalkers,

Would some of you please repeat this experiment:
I have a new Anschutz LP@, and if i place a piece of paper on top of the closed "bolt", it gets knocked out by the air escaping through the seals during the shots. Is that normal?

The accuracy is OK, but I discovered it during testing after a pellet got stuck in the barrel.
Fred Mannis

Re: Anschutz LP@ - leaking air during shots?

Post by Fred Mannis »

Anonymous wrote:Targettalkers,

Would some of you please repeat this experiment:
I have a new Anschutz LP@, and if i place a piece of paper on top of the closed "bolt", it gets knocked out by the air escaping through the seals during the shots. Is that normal?

The accuracy is OK, but I discovered it during testing after a pellet got stuck in the barrel.
Not on my LP-1P
GaryBF

Post by GaryBF »

Okay, I tried your experiment twice with my Anschutz LP@Junior. I used a small square of facial tissue and both times it blew off the top of the bolt when the shot was fired. My gun is about eight months old and seems to perform fine. I have no idea what this proves except that I am gullible. Are we on Candid Camera? I refuse to worry about this and I suggest you do the same. Enjoy your LP@-it's a neat gun.
cdf

Post by cdf »

My Styer LP10 ( About 16 months old ) will blow a piece of tissue off the breach area , chrony test is good , groups are fine when I do my part .

I'm getting slightly in excess of 100 shots before I hit the yellow zone on the manometer , all seems normal .

Chris
KFinke

Post by KFinke »

My LP@ does that too. It has done that since new as does my friend's LP@ that I used to borrow before I bought mine. And every LP10 that I've looked at as well.

My pistol shoots just fine. I imagine it is some design inherent to the pistol. I remember reading through the manual to see if a comment or two was made, but no such luck.

Enjoy your new precision pistol. The LP@ was my first high end pistol of any kind and I've never had any problems with it whatsoever. I love the design and all of the its great ergonomics. It did take me a few tries to get the trigger set to my liking.

-Kevin

Post by Guest »

Everyone, thank you for your responses.

I was just trying to figure out the cause of why the pellet got stuck in the barrel. (having no recoil and no muzzle flip it took me 2 additional shots to notice that). I suspected that would put quite a stress on the seals since the air had nowhere to go, which prompted me to check for leaks.

However, knowing that this is normal, I can sleep again. (nevermind that it is ungodly morning hour - time for drills!)

GaryBF, sorry to have made you feel like you're on hidden camera - I was just being paranoid.
wai

Post by wai »

Greetings,

At our local range, we have noticed that 2 LP10 was leaking air around the chamber / breech as you have described.

This was tracked down to the barrel been set too far forward, we have to move the barrel a bit back to form a tight seal.

In the case of the 2 LP10, it appears the two "pit" where the screw set in was mill a bit off spec, so when we tighten the barrel screw, the barrel was actually shifted forward !!!
pilkguns
Site Admin

Post by pilkguns »

the barrels screws are intentionally drilled to wide for the hole, so that you can use the conical faces of the set screws to adjust the barrel backwards or forwards to achieve the correct tension on of the bolt against the barrel
kbc

Anschutz M10 and Morini 162E

Post by kbc »

My friend and I repeated the above posted experiment with my Anschutz M10 and his Morini 162E using one layer of a square toilet paper. There was hardly any air escaped from the chamber to pertube the toilet.

kbc
Elmas

Post by Elmas »

Anonymous wrote:Everyone, thank you for your responses.

I was just trying to figure out the cause of why the pellet got stuck in the barrel. (having no recoil and no muzzle flip it took me 2 additional shots to notice that). I suspected that would put quite a stress on the seals since the air had nowhere to go, which prompted me to check for leaks.

So why did the pellet get stuck in the barrell ? I am intrigued to know.

It has never happened to me or anyone I know to date .

Pellet size is designed to go through AP Barrells without a hitch ...so what do you think happened ?

Elmas

Post by Guest »

The pellet actually got stuck inside the compensator (the next two got stuck in the end of the barrel not being able to exit). The pellets are R10, the pressure was at the yellow/green border mark (minimum allowable). Only happened once.

Fortunately, this had no impact on the accuracy - I sucked before and I still suck.
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

Guest:

Very interesting situation. This might sound crazy, and it is probably incredibly unlikely, but an aloternative explanation might be that if there was a perfectly timed, wildly executed "Twitch" during the time the pellet exited the muzzle but had not yet cleared the compensator it may have actually contacted the inside of the compensator; and then tilted/got stuck.

I know this sounds really bizarre; but consider

1) There isn't a whole lot of clearance between pellet and compensator walls;
2) It wouldn't take much of a twitch to allow pellet to hit one of the walls;
3) Pellet is moving rapidly, so a slight bump could cause great upset to pellet travel

Well, O.K., it's a crazy theory anyhow and I never heard of such a thing. But the other explanation (not enough air pressure to push pellet through barrel; with previous and subsequent shots appearing o.k.) sounds kind of crazy too.

Any other explanations out there?

Steve

(p.s. Scotts comment on adjusting barrel position is probably a goood idea to bring it into spec regardoless of what we think happened with the misbehaving pellet)
Elmas

Post by Elmas »

Steve Swartz wrote:
(p.s. Scotts comment on adjusting barrel position is probably a goood idea to bring it into spec regardoless of what we think happened with the misbehaving pellet)
Is adjusting barrel position to ensure an airtight snug fit with the bolt a "user" or 'dealer' job ?

Elmas

Post by Guest »

I got a picture that LP10s and LP@s leak from breech but other pistols do not. My guess is that a portion of air is spent by the absorber and then escapes from behind the breech rather than from the barrel end?
wai

Post by wai »

Greetings,

The barrel / bolt contact pressure can be adjusted by :

(1) removing the barrel sleeve / jacket ( the piece that the front sight is attached to )

(2) lossen the two barrel screw

(3) close the bolt

(4) shift the barrel back towards the rear sight until it made full contact with the bolt

(5) tighten the two barrel screws

(6) test fire to see if there is any leak around the bolt

I don't have the manual handy with me, I will post a followup if anyone wants the part number of the screws that I am talking.

Post by Guest »

Mr. Pilk,
Is there a gauge to assist in the adjustment of the headspace on these pistols? Or, could the eventual leakage be traced to an o ring compressing or wearing some slight bit?
I don't think attempting to adjust the barrel on the LP 10 is something I'd do with zeal.
Is there a measurement or point of measurement you could reference?

Post by Guest »

Steve Swartz wrote:This might sound crazy, and it is probably incredibly unlikely, but an aloternative explanation might be that if there was a perfectly timed, wildly executed "Twitch" during the time the pellet exited the muzzle but had not yet cleared the compensator it may have actually contacted the inside of the compensator; and then tilted/got stuck.
You are right, it is a crazy theory. And for someone who disagrees with the notion of barrel time, I wonder how you could have even considered it.
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

"Disagrees witht eh notion of barell time" WTF,O?

Are you claiming that I once stated that pellets are magically transported from the breech to target by invisible rays or something?!?!

Inquiring minds want to know . . .

Steve Swartz

(p.s. I have stated that translational/lateral movement of the barrel can be ignored for shot placement, and that what matters is where the muzzle is pointed when the skirt clears the barrel . . . that is indeed still true . . . and is actually an assumption that supports [and is required by] "crazy theory" instead of refuting it. Think about it . . . if pellet had sideways motion imparted to it, it would NOT get tangled up in still moving compensator; it would sashay sideways right along with it.)

(p.p.s. still nursing that grudge from two years ago?)
IPshooter

Post by IPshooter »

My 162EI, the one that shoots one-hole groups only slightly larger than the inner 10 ring, will blow a tissue off the bolt every time. Is it losing a little air on each shot? Sure. Is it grouping well? Absolutely.

Stan