LP10 Compact popularity internationally

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Brian James

LP10 Compact popularity internationally

Post by Brian James »

Im curious to know how popular the LP10/E Compact are amongst international shooters competing at World Cups and other high level events? Im not looking to debate Pilkguns compact selling practice.

Ive heard the compact models are not common on the international scene, which surprised me given the popularity of the Morini Short. I appreciate the Steyr Compact's sight radius is shorter, but is that the reason for the lack of popularity.

Im asking as I'm considering buying one. And before i get asked, yes I've shot over 555 at a major competition, admittedly a long time ago.

Thanks,

Brian
SamEEE

Re: LP10 Compact popularity internationally

Post by SamEEE »

Unlikely to be used at a World Cup, I will ask my clubmate to keep an eye out at Munich this week.

All else being equal a longer sight radius will deliver a more precise shot.

Pilkguns business decision has been discussed and thrashed over quite a lot:

http://www.targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=46189
http://www.targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=46263

The top thread is the most comprehensive. Essentially it comes down to newbies not being able to hold the long sight picture together, getting frustrated and unhappy with the sport. Regret of buying a 2000 dollar pistol shortly follows at a guess.

Not great for business probably. Pilk has taken some initiative.

At my club we train juniors with short barrel short sight radius Morini 162MIs. The are lighter and easier to start with in my view - at least up to a certain point; it also starts to mask faults which would be a marginal 9 becomes a marginal 8.

I started with the same. Progressed to a regular barrel length, now have an extended sight radius Electronic.

The 162 Short has the same sight radius as the regular 162 - except it is a bit more manageable for a kid or lady.

I would go with the Vanilla 162 and make the sight radius shorter on the compensator to start. You can always make it longer from there.

Chur,
Image Image
Mike M.

Post by Mike M. »

If you're the same Brian James I know (CIMLT pistol shooter), I'd recommend the full-sized gun. Shooters with black powder experience are used to the longer sight radius.
Brian James

Post by Brian James »

Hi Mike

I am one in the same. I shot air and free pistol before getting into muzzleloading. This is likely why i enjoy shooting a revolver at 50m.

Im currently suffering a bit of tennis elbow, which is why I'm thinking about buying Compact. I have Matchguns MG1E, which I like but its front heavy.

Brian
ghostrip

Post by ghostrip »

for mg1e you can always buy a short air bottle. they come in 3 lengths. also you can try and shave some material from the alu trigger housing if you have the tools. because of some health problems i 3d printed a plastic housing (but connect the board with the frame with a small alu stripe) .After that gun feels just like steyr or morini. not front heavy at all.
therider

Post by therider »

ghostrip wrote:for mg1e you can always buy a short air bottle. they come in 3 lengths. also you can try and shave some material from the alu trigger housing if you have the tools. because of some health problems i 3d printed a plastic housing (but connect the board with the frame with a small alu stripe) .After that gun feels just like steyr or morini. not front heavy at all.
This is interesting. I too bekieved that my lp10e was less front heavy than my mgh1. However when I accurately measured the position of the centre of gravity I discovered that it was abut the same for both guns (a matter of millimeters, if any).
I would not define either of those 2 pistols front heavy.
I guess that the difference is in the grip only and in its rake.
ghostrip

Post by ghostrip »

its about the feeling. not actual weight
ghostrip

Post by ghostrip »

Brian / therider here you can see my 3d part
Attachments
IMG_0167.JPG
Andre

Post by Andre »

One of the reasons I wanted to get the long (although harder to find) was that I could grow into it. I don't need the longer sight radius, my front sight is set as rearwards as it will go, but I wanted the possibility to move it out further when I get better. Read: steadier.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Apparently you didn't know that Don Nygord won the world AP Championship using a short-barreled FWB 65.
shaky hands

Post by shaky hands »

deleted
Brian James

Post by Brian James »

ghostrip wrote:Brian / therider here you can see my 3d part
Thanks for the response, are you able to share a photo of your MG with custom electronics holder? Out of curiosity, have you made other parts using 3D printers?

Brian
ghostrip

Post by ghostrip »

Brian here are some more pics of my efforts.
http://imgur.com/a/rEMFL
i have successfully 3d printed front sights for my guns (mg1 - mg2 - 5 - GSP). This was done after my first experiments with silicone for molds and casting resin to duplicate front sights. the resin was easily trimmed to desired dimensions and painted mat black. The 3d printed parts are from white plastic resin and have good detail.
you can see the 3dpart also here https://www.shapeways.com/product/6D8TY ... 8d213567a3
i have also designed some more parts (for example a copy of my nygord comp) but none is plug and play or commercial .
therider

Post by therider »

ghostrip wrote:Brian here are some more pics of my efforts.
http://imgur.com/a/rEMFL
i have successfully 3d printed front sights for my guns (mg1 - mg2 - 5 - GSP). This was done after my first experiments with silicone for molds and casting resin to duplicate front sights. the resin was easily trimmed to desired dimensions and painted mat black. The 3d printed parts are from white plastic resin and have good detail.
you can see the 3dpart also here https://www.shapeways.com/product/6D8TY ... 8d213567a3
i have also designed some more parts (for example a copy of my nygord comp) but none is plug and play or commercial .
Gosh, I am impressed....I can see that you are an engineer! :-)

Just one comment. From your pics the front sight seems to have vertical sides. I would have inclined the side facing the front sights towards bottom to avoid light reflections

Did you also mill your pistol frame?????
ghostrip

Post by ghostrip »

if you go to the 3d printing service you will also see the front sights i have designed and printed. they all have inclined the face the shooter sees. basically they are modeled after my original MG front sights. i was curious and 3d printed a set to try. it helped there was a offer at that time and i got the parts very cheaply. When i received the parts there was one thing that was above my expectations. The finish of the parts.
The way they were printed from sintered layers of plastic resin made the final texture flat but not like the flat we have on our steel front sights. it has a rough finish. that way the final surface with the black dye is a rich dark mat black that has no light reflection. i even had several problems photographing them. as for the frame no i have not milled my frame. at some point i wanted to design my own frame incorporating the ideas of the pistols i had but i am not that advanced and i have no access to cnc machines.
therider

Post by therider »

regarding your frame: which model is that? not the mgh1, right?
ghostrip

Post by ghostrip »

it is a mg1e. i would love to get mgh1 and mg4 but not much money right now. perhaps i will get them in the future.
therider

Post by therider »

Ok. So the trigger wiring comes to the box from the side of the frame. With mgh1 the wiring runs in the thickness of the frame
ghostrip

Post by ghostrip »

i don't have the mgh1 but i don't think it would be very different. besides i didn't disconnect the board in my mg1e to install the plastic part just used a shorter screw from my stash.
Leon

Post by Leon »

ghostrip wrote:if you go to the 3d printing service you will also see the front sights i have designed and printed. they all have inclined the face the shooter sees. basically they are modeled after my original MG front sights. i was curious and 3d printed a set to try. it helped there was a offer at that time and i got the parts very cheaply. When i received the parts there was one thing that was above my expectations. The finish of the parts.
The way they were printed from sintered layers of plastic resin made the final texture flat but not like the flat we have on our steel front sights. it has a rough finish. that way the final surface with the black dye is a rich dark mat black that has no light reflection. i even had several problems photographing them. as for the frame no i have not milled my frame. at some point i wanted to design my own frame incorporating the ideas of the pistols i had but i am not that advanced and i have no access to cnc machines.
Your set of GSP sights look good.

I've just ordered some !