Reduced distance AP targets

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Gort

Reduced distance AP targets

Post by Gort »

Does anyone still make reduced distance AP targets? A friend of mine just set up an AP range in his basement and he can only get about 25 ft. I use to see 25ft. reduced AP targets, but can no longer find them.
Thanks, Gort
Trooperjake

Re: Reduced distance AP targets

Post by Trooperjake »

Take a regular 33 ft 10 meter target to the copy store and ask them to reduce it 25%.
You now have a 25 foot target.

Want it on the same paper:
If you have access to a computer and a printer.
Scan the 10 meter target, reduce the scan by 25%.
Print it on the back side of your 10 meter target.
shaky hands

Post by shaky hands »

That would not work. You would get the same angular size of the rings alright (including the black), but you will not get the same value of your shots (in fact, hitting a 10 would be much easier). The reason: it is not the diameter of a scoring ring that has to scale, but rather the sum of the diameter of the scoring ring plus the diameter of the bullet.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

If you want to drop to 5m then you can use Shin's 5m target.

That has both the black and the scoring rings at the correctly scaled size.
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

There is also a similar scaled one for 7 Metres, which almost takes it out to 25 Feet.

http://www.targettalk.org/images/Attach ... Target.pdf
Gort

Post by Gort »

Thank all of you for your suggestions. That 7m target is just what I am looking for. Thanks, Gort
wasatch

Post by wasatch »

Another option is to download the SCATT software which includes the ability to print targets scaled for whatever distance you like.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

wasatch wrote:Another option is to download the SCATT software which includes the ability to print targets scaled for whatever distance you like.
Tat's not much help if you want a "realistic" score comparison. The Scatt software only scales the size of the black accurately, not the scoring rings (unless they've changed it since I last looked).
wasatch

Post by wasatch »

Oh, thanks! I had assumed SCATT would have it correct.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

wasatch wrote:Oh, thanks! I had assumed SCATT would have it correct.
They have it correct for what it was originally designed for. When you are just dry-firing then the scoring rings are meaningless; it's only the size of the black that counts.

As I suggested, it's a while since I looked at the Scatt software. With the introduction of MX-02 it's possible that they might have re-written the software to produce targets with correctly scaled down scoring rings for live-firing as well as correctly scaled blacks for sighting. It would be interesting to know from someone who has an MX-02. If, for example, they tried printing a 10m Air Pistol target for use at 5m and there wasn't a separate 7-ring inside the black then we would know that the software hasn't been changed.
shaky hands

Post by shaky hands »

You don't actually need to have MX to get the latest software. It is available from the Scatt support page, software for all Scatt devices (except biathlon and rapid fire) is the same. The latest update was made on 02/26. The scoring rings are still not scaled for live firing.
Linecutter

Post by Linecutter »

This might help
Not everybody has the (safe) room to shoot at airgun targets at the regulation distances. Nice as it is to take shots at a full sized target at reduced distances it's not quite the same as being able to say how well you are doing in comparison to people shooting the real distances.

The way to deal with this is to use Ian Pellant's rather wonderful software to print targets the right size for your personal range, but not any easier to hit than the full sized one at the right distance.

Bear with me while we work through how to do this...

Consider the 10 ring of a 10 metre Air Pistol target, at 10 metres it's 11.5 mm across. You score a 10 if you cut the line, so it's actually 11.5 + (half the width of a pellet on either side) mm. Given that 0.177" (4.5mm) is the standard for target pellets that measn that a pellet with it's centre up to 8mm from the true centre of the target will score a 10. (the 10 scoring zone is 11.5 + 2*(4.5/2)mm across)

If we scale the scoring zone instead of the ring sizes then we can deal with the problem that the pellets dont get smaller as the range increases.

Multiplying the scoring zone by the proportion of the range that we want to shoot at gives us the size of the scoring zone that we want. Time for an example... let's say that we want to shoot a 10m air pistol target on an indoor range that is only 5.5m long:

The ring is 11.5mm & the scoring zone is therfore 16mm. We're shooting at 5.5 / 10 of the official distance, so the scoring zone will be 16 * (5.5/10) mm or 8.8mm across

Good, but we forgot to allow for the pellet size, which we added initially. So remove the 4.5mm that accounts for the 10 scores when the pellet centre is not actually in the 10 ring & we get 4.3 mm! I know, you were hoping for more. Me too.

If you've managed to get over the shock I'll let you have the formula:
New Ring size = ((old ring size + pellet size {mm}) * (new distance / Standard distance)) - pellet size {mm}
Late addendum:

It has been pointd out to me that the size of the aiming spot does not shrink at the same rate that the scoring rings do. You'll need to add another ring to the outside of the scoring zone, coloured black & with a size = (size of 7 ring on full sized target) * (new distance / standard distance)

This is not the full size of the 6 ring, but does give the target the same visual size to aim at. If you shoot badly enough to need it you'll discover that with the airgun target software you've sacrificed the 1 ring in order to split the 6 into a black & a white half.
You could use the add-in program (TargetGen.exe) supplied with ChairGun Pro if you can't google up a copy of "SetupAirGun.exe"