Steyr LP-10 Trigger Shoe

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Gort

Steyr LP-10 Trigger Shoe

Post by Gort »

Steyr LP-10 Trigger Shoe always gave me fits. It is so wide, I was never able to position it where I didn't touch an edge. So I made a cylindrical trigger shoe 10mm in dia. and 26mm long. This allows me to pull straight back with much more consistency.
Gort
Attachments
IMG_0305.JPG
IMG_0306.JPG
DanielSwe

Re: Steyr LP-10 Trigger Shoe

Post by DanielSwe »

Looks interesting, I'd like to try one.
How about you make another one, ship it to Sweden
and I'll evaluate it for free :)

Seriously though, nice work!
Measures on the insides and how did you do it?
Gort

Post by Gort »

It is relatively straightforward to make on a lathe. Steyr's trigger post is 2.5mm. So it's basically an aluminum cylinder 10mm in dia., 26mm long with a 2.5mm hole thru it's center and a set screw perpendicular to it. I am a retired Tool & Diemaker.
therider

Post by therider »

I have been struggling too with lp10e shoe sine I boght it. Eventually I managed to position it agog a hight were it feels good.

However your shoe like great.... I would like to try it too!!!!
DanielSwe

Post by DanielSwe »

Thanks for the info.
Don't have a lathe though, so I guess I'll have to
make do with a power drill and a pillar drill.
DanielSwe

Post by DanielSwe »

Looks thinner than 10mm in the pics though.
Did you slim it down in the lathe?
Gort

Post by Gort »

It appears I misspoke, I started with 10mm stock and turned it to 8.5mm in its final form.
argus

Post by argus »

viewtopic.php?t=37160

This may be an option for those that don't have access to a machine shop, although the LP10 triggers from this thread appear to no longer be available on the site you can design one to suit your needs.
markwarren

Post by markwarren »

The LP10 trigger looks really nice.

Have you ever taken it through an Equipment Control at a competition? Some EC struggle to lift the weight with a standard trigger so I can imagine even more fun with a rounded trigger like that.

All the best

Mark
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

Gort wrote:It is relatively straightforward to make on a lathe. Steyr's trigger post is 2.5mm. So it's basically an aluminum cylinder 10mm in dia., 26mm long with a 2.5mm hole thru it's center and a set screw perpendicular to it. I am a retired Tool & Diemaker.
Just out of curiosity, would these be able to be tested in Equipment control ?

I would be interested to know where they would test the weight, in the middle? or at the end. Or would you have to set it so that any part of the shoe was over 500g.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

SteveR wrote:
Gort wrote:It is relatively straightforward to make on a lathe. Steyr's trigger post is 2.5mm. So it's basically an aluminum cylinder 10mm in dia., 26mm long with a 2.5mm hole thru it's center and a set screw perpendicular to it. I am a retired Tool & Diemaker.
Just out of curiosity, would these be able to be tested in Equipment control ?

I would be interested to know where they would test the weight, in the middle? or at the end. Or would you have to set it so that any part of the shoe was over 500g.
Fist part of 8.4.2 "The weight of the trigger pull must be measured, with the test weight suspended near the middle of the trigger"
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

David Levene wrote:
Fist part of 8.4.2 "The weight of the trigger pull must be measured, with the test weight suspended near the middle of the trigger"
Thanks David, so as long as they can get the weight to hold on, there is nothing else stopping you coming up with a longer, or different shaped trigger shoe.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

SteveR wrote:
David Levene wrote:
Thanks David, so as long as they can get the weight to hold on, there is nothing else stopping you coming up with a longer, or different shaped trigger shoe.
It's the competitor's responsibility to ensure that the trigger can be tested using a knife edge.

If it can't be tested then it cannot pass.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

Q. How difficult would it be to make a small notch midway to retain the test weight ?
A. Less time than it takes to discuss it.
markwarren

Post by markwarren »

Perhaps a 5mm flat on the front of the trigger with a groove would make the weight test easier.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

markwarren wrote:Perhaps a 5mm flat on the front of the trigger with a groove would make the weight test easier.
The trigger in the OP would not be any problem: I'm pretty sure that's why Gort machined a groove in it.

As deadeyedick suggested, it isn't rocket science. It only needs a competitor to be dsq'd once for him/her to make sure they have a suitable trigger shoe in the future ;-)
Gort

Post by Gort »

David, You are correct, that small grove in the middle is expressly for trigger weight measurement.
David W. Johnson

Post by David W. Johnson »

Makes sense. I would like to try it. Not being a machinist and being in Belgium (7 more months), I guess I'll wander around what passes as a hardware store here looking for ideas.

David
DanielSwe

Post by DanielSwe »

If I get parts and time I'll make more than
one.. Sadly I don't have access to a lathe so they won't be as
fancy as Gort's..
David W. Johnson

Post by David W. Johnson »

Hmmmm... The stainless stock is available on ebay in 10mm and 8mm. The problem is machinery.

I wonder if this would work with nylon? Easier for me to work with. Just musing out loud...er...through my fingers?

David