Plastic vs glass front apertures

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Modena

Plastic vs glass front apertures

Post by Modena »

Hi all, I note that there are available plastic front inserts, and so-called "hi-end" glass inserts. What's the consensus on if there is a difference in sight picture when using these supposedly better glass units?
spektr

Re: Plastic vs glass front apertures

Post by spektr »

I believe glass is marginally better since they stay crystal clear over time and do not degrade while they are exposed to bad things inside the gun case..... Be it oil or foam outgassing or voodoo, the plastic ones just go downhill slowly...... The real question is should you upgrade to a MEC Vario front glass adjustable unit..... I have no financial gain in suggesting it, it lets me dial what my diabetic eyes need, and that drifts around a bit.......
Tim S

Re: Plastic vs glass front apertures

Post by Tim S »

IMO the advantages of hi-ends over plastic inserts are that the ring won't fade in strong light, and the ring is available in varying thicknesses. Plastic inserts rely on the bevel around the aperture to create the ring, in very bright sunlight, this can fade (at least for me) losing the foresight. Hi-ends areally certainly clear, but can still be scratched; my favourite had a small smear by the ring, where the glue had leaked. I could see it, but it didn't bother me over nearly ten years.