Anschutz 54 "Match" versus "Super Match"

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

marky-d

Anschutz 54 "Match" versus "Super Match"

Post by marky-d »

Can anyone explain the difference, if anything, between the "Match" and "Super Match" versions of the Anschutz 54?

marky-d
Tim S

Re: Anschutz 54 "Match" versus "Super Match"

Post by Tim S »

Mark,

Normally Supermatch refers to the company's flagship Free Rifles, variously the models 1413, 1613, 1813, and 1913. Back in 1954 the standard Match 54 had a simple pistol grip stock, whereas the Supermatch had a thumb hole stock with an adjustable length butt, a hook butt, a heel rest on the grip, and the palm rest for standing. Anschutz needed some way to differentiate these, and hit on the name Supermatch. Anschutz didn't invent Supermatch. I suspect they were influenced by Winchester-Western Supermatch ammo, then a world leader; I believe Anschutz chambered early Match 54 barrels for Western Supermatch, so they were familiar with it Anschutz still call their wood-stocked Olympic Free rifle the 1913 Supermatch, and back around 1990 labelled the then new 2013 the "Supermatch Special".

Some barrels are marked Supermatch. From 1954 to the about 1965 Anschutz marked each barrel with a specific model name/number. Those destined for Supermatch rifles were marked Super Match 54, and later 1413 Supermatch. I don't know if these barrels were specially selected, or simply chosen at need. I would plump for the latter because of Anschutz's manufacturing process, they test complete barreled/actions, ones already marked and blued, so testing then marking would interrupt their processes. Anschutz changed to a generic marking for many years, but in 1980 started marking heavy barrels "modell 1813 Super-Match". The lighter ISU barrels were marked "Model 1807". The 18 changed to 19 in 1987. The difference between 1813/1913 barrels and 1807/1907 is 3cm in length and about 300g in weight. Both types are rifled, chambered, crowned and fitted the same way.

Supermatch has also been used to describe the improved 1800/1900 bolt, although much less frequently. During the 1970s Anschutz spent several years refining the ignition system, which culminated in the 1800 rifles launched in 1980. Some US advertising described the 1800s as the "super Match 54" as the lock-time was much faster than the pre-1977 1400 Match 54s. For the 1800s Anschutz had lightened the firing pin for speed, and consequently could use a smaller mainspring that imparted less vibration into the barrel. A small but stiff spring behind the firing pin gave added oomph, without excess vibration. The x-barrel rifles made from '77 to early' 80 were the first attempt to revise the bolt; these were sold as 14xx Match 54 rifles, but marked with the identifying X. It was only later that Anschutz adopted the 1600 designation.
Last edited by Tim S on Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marky-d

Post by marky-d »

Thanks Tim, that's a great summary. I found a number of threads on Rimfirecentral.com that tried to answer the same question, but after reading page after page after page of discussion and counterpoints, I ended up more confused that when I started!

marky-d
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Hi Mark,

Don't mention it.

In most cases Supermatch simply means a Free Rifle, especially with the heavy 690mm barrel. The other meanings, barrel and action, are less common. Folks occasionally confuse the barrel and rifle; you see 1811 Prone rifles advertised as 1813s because that's what's on the barrel, the difference becomes an issue when the seller expects 1813 money for the less vauable1811.
mbradley

Post by mbradley »

Tim S is an encyclopedia of everything Anschutz and is a great source for this board.
tmont

Post by tmont »

mbradley wrote:Tim S is an encyclopedia of everything Anschutz and is a great source for this board.
I sure second that!
Tim has helped educate me on a number of issues, including this topic.
Tom